House of Lords blocks Brexit

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Come Brexit your well fked then aren’t you? Learn Finnish move to Finland, loose any right to live in the UK.

No, it's a choice. I just don't think I will want to live in Brexit Britain, as I have opposite view as per who will go down to the drain - Brexit or Europe.

I also don't like the atmosphere, that is becoming more and more dense.

But I could for a mere 72 pounds go and achieve so called "settled status" if I wanted, I just don't think it is worth the money. I did not wanted British Passport (which I could obtain no problem after all those years here) because it was too expensive, and I am just leaning more and more to move to another country.

I have no mortage, no debt, no property and no kids in school, my partner's profession would make it easy to find job anywhere, and I have two sources of income: one online that I can do from anywhere in the world, and I also drive trucks, which I can easily do anywhere in Europe.

So basically I can just pack my belongings into the van and go anytime, it is really easy for me. So I am considering it as a properly viable option.

When Country locked and Fins don’t want anything to do with the euro, EU, it’s member states or none Finnish citizens, You may end up living back in Poland. We all have choices to make and bridges to burn.

Yeah, so Fins are to leave the EU now as well? :D

And yeah, I might end up back in Poland. It would not be a disaster, I lived there for half of my life and I was doing well even when the country's living standards were much lower than today. Now I am with much better situation, and country is doing much better and, unlike Britain, has really good prospects, so why not? I don't want to go back to Poland because of politics, stupid right wing government doing stupid things against people's will, but Britain is no different nowadays, so if you tried to suggest that this would be some kind of punishment or defeat for me, well, tough luck.

Prisons work well if we take into consideration all the flaws, so will Brexit. We are not going to create a perfect Utopia here in the UK once we are out of the EU.

Are you actually comparing Brexit to prison? :D

What we will have is better control over our borders, over those who chose the UK for residency and a wider choice of world trading partners. All the rest is just decoration. If you believe any remaining EU member countries won’t “want” to do business/trade with the UK, then you are misguided my friend. It may result in tariffs, more paperwork, but the cross border deals will still take place.

Of course other EU countries would want to do business with the UK. And so UK would still want to do business with the EU.

Now tell me, who would be more desperate to do it:
    - 27 EU countries, for whom trade with Britain is just a small part of their overall international trade, and who would be able to fill the gaps in the market left by Britain moving out of the EU - it will be easy for them, as by not having to deal with "tariffs and paperwork" they will instantly become much more comptetetive than outside-of-EU-Britain
    - Britain, for whom nearly half of it's international business depends on the EU?

Who will be more desperate to strike the deal? And therefore: who will have upper hand in any negotiations?

But of course, there still be some trade. Except it will be less of it. Slightly less in any of the EU country. And significantly less in the UK.

Uncertainties are abundant for all walks of life the world over, baring any major natural disaster, food, water, shelter and security will shape future demographics.

What happens when Africa empties its desperate, unemployed, vunerable populations on the borders of the remaining EU Countries? Where will they go? who will welcome them? How long before civil unrest and breakdown of law and order? How can a EU with diminishing members prop up the bankrupt, under performing EU member countries? By digging deep or blowing out?

Lol, what a vision. I just happened to read an essey with a deep analysis of the Russian propaganda today. It's in Polish, but the author pointed out, how they are trying to pose Europe as being at the brink of disaster, if not a war.

Where did you found this info? Sputinik News or Russia Today? :D

• But you know, that you are just indirectly blaming the EU for the flaws in British system?

Your Hungarian friends come here to work in the black market (you mentioned that in your other post - that they work here cash in hand, without paying any taxes), abuse British social system and go home - but EU has nothing to do with it. Moreover, EU provides tools by which they could be deported if they cannot prove that they have (legal) work here. The problem is that Britain almost never uses this right, happy to pay money to benefit scroungers from allover Europe without vetting them properly. This is a flaw on the British side, not imposed on Britain by the EU in any way.

Try to go and do the same in Hungary. Or Germany even. No chance.

This is why all those people in Calais are trying so desperately to get into Britain. Because social system here is so prone to abuse. And leaving the EU will change very little about it: you already have tools to remove EU citizens who don't want to work, you simply decided not to use them for some reason. And for non-EU migrants, they will be getting here as much as they do it now, because EU has nothing to do with your borders, since you are not part of the Schengen agreement.

• I agree with you completely, you are 100% right in every thing you say. The fault lies with Britain. I'm glad we agree because I don't want you to feel that I am being negative towards you.

Actually, I worked in Warsaw years ago, for a British company admittedly but I loved the country. My mother's family came from Munich so I do have ties with that part of the world. Many of them died in Poland but that's another story.

But you talk about the people in Calais, did they just appear there by magic? No they didn't. If the other EU countries were doing what they are supposed to do they would not have got through. The fact that they have, to me, is another indication that there is only national self interest, not a Union.

You have to admit Poland is not actually behaving itself, it had developed a certain "attitude problem".

EU was a great idea, if it worked it would have been magnificent. I deeply regret it has failed but it has, that's because each country is still looking after its own interests first.

• But you talk about the people in Calais, did they just appear there by magic? No they didn't. If the other EU countries were doing what they are supposed to do they would not have got through. The fact that they have, to me, is another indication that there is only national self interest, not a Union.

You have to admit Poland is not actually behaving itself, it had developed a certain "attitude problem".

EU was a great idea, if it worked it would have been magnificent. I deeply regret it has failed but it has, that's because each country is still looking after its own interests first.

So we agree on many things after all. I agree with you, that those people in Calais are there exactly because other EU countries do what they are supposed to do: they don't give benefits and do not spend their taxpayer's money on funding luxury lifestyles to newcomers who are too lazy to work.

This is why for those people life in Poland, France, Italy or even Germany seems much less attractive than in Britain.

And this is why they all want to go to the UK. And since UK does not do what it is supposed to do (that mean to detain those people at British border, check if they have right to enter Britain or claim asylum or refugee status, and then if not, sent them back) but allows those, who make it in illegal way to stay, while dumping the hard work on French, then French have no interes to pick up the work neglected by Her Majesty Border Service, and they decided to turn the blind eye on the problem, as more of those people make it to Britain, less problems with them France will have. And at the same time those people keep trying: because they know that once they are in, they are in for good.

And, apart from that, why do French even should to do anything about that? Most of those people claimed refugee status in one of the Schengen countries, so at least for the timebeing they have right to be there (and this is nothing to do with the EU, this is Geneva convention and other UN treaties). And while there might be laws saying that one might not be allowed to enter the country, there are no rights saying that one is not allowed to leave it if he or she pleases.

You are right also about Poland, that is not exactly behaving itself. This is why I am not to keen to go back there, as, unfrotunately, Poland is following steps of Hungary. And this won't end well, as your Hungarian friends can surely tell you: some time ago, Hungary was a leader of growth in Eastern Europe, it was often used as a template for other countries. Now it's economy is in tatters and people are running away from the country like rats that leave sinking ship (according to my friends who still leave in Poland, there is more and more Hungarians coming to Poland for work).

EU was a great idea, and it still is. It might have a slight hiccup now, but sooner or later it will gain momentum again and go forward, although it is true, that Britain might not be the only country that jumped off the cart unhappy with the ride. But I have to say that blaming flaws in the EU on the fact that each country is looking for it's own interest rather than looking into improving common wealth and prosperity is quite funny when it comes from not only a Briton, but also a keen Brexit supporter sounds quite ironic for me.

Well, for that matter, Brexit can be only good for the EU. If its problem lies in that countries think only about their own interest, then the fact, that the one, who was leading the way in that activity to drop off can only mean, that from now on, it will be much easier to push the European project forward.

• Your choice orys. The info regarding Finland becoming hostile to none citizens Is from the internet a few days ago. Many Brits sharing their own concerns regarding “Finish threats” to lock down, lock in and lock out none citizens and the future rights of these “new” finish citizens to repatriate (should they ever need to or even wish to) with their former home Country. Also the British driving licence possibly not being recognised anywhere but the UK.

See, thats where ther difference is. I have info about live in Finland directly from Finns (I've met some three weeks back most recently) and also from some of expats in Finland.

So far Finland is in the EU, so rules for EU citizens apply, so I don't have to worry.

And thank you again for proving that not exchanging my Polish licence for British one was a good decision :)

See I really like this Country, I like the atmosphere and the fact we are a small island nation with a rich history and culture. I grew up in the UK wondering which City the IRA would bomb at the weekend. For me this peaceful safe Country is much more pleasant these days even though some may find it dense.

Maybe those, who find it dense, are those, who are abused due to their nationality or accent? The number of such cases increased dramatically in the recent times. I was myself abused for being Polish, it happened first time after all those years I lived in Scotland and loved every bit of this country. But some of my friends are less lucky.

£72 isnt even a good evening on crack, so settled status looks like a good deal really. You must want a lot for your buck mate.

Is "not being ripped off" a lot? I don't think so, and this is the only thing I would like. This whole thing is simply a money making excercise - I don't need any special website to prove, that I've been living in Scotland for 5 years. Actually I can log on HMRC website right now, and show you all my tax history going as far back as 2009 or so.

Also, I simply don't believe, that UK will keep their side of the bargain - they promise nothing will change for us, and yet we hear about more and more limitations.

Moreover, without protection that our EU Citizenships gives us at the moment, we will fall in scope of Home Office's "hostile environment". Would you like to live in the country, who's beaurocratic machine aims to make your life as miserable as possible?

I tell you a story: before Home Office came up with this settled status crap, they told us that we have to obtain "residency status". I ignored it, as I knew that they will change their mind 10 times before it actually become mandatory (and as we can see, I was right) but my friend just bought a flat in London and was very worried about her future, so she applied for this resident status. She had to fill tons of some uselles paperwork crap, providing very private information not only about herself but also about members of her family etc., she had to pay for the pleasure, and you know what? She was refused.

You might wonder how it is possible, that really well earning proffessional (really well earning: how many 35yo singles can afford to buy a flat in London nowadays?), staying legally in London since 2004 and who never claimed a penny in benefits etc was refused? Well, a couple of years back she was told she will be made redundant in her work. She had no problems in getting new job, but this new job was to start 3 months later. Being well off and having plenty of savings, she decided to go to Poland and stayed with her parents for three summer months, visiting some old friends and simply enjoying this time as extended holidays. Home Office seems it as the period that she is unable to document what she was doing (she went to Poland by car with some friends who were going that way), as she cannot prove, that she was working, on benefits, in education, or on holidays (as she cannot provide any invoices for obvious reasons). This simply makes no sense, and with me, working on casual basis or freelancing I would propably have to bend backwards to prove that I am not a horse. I am not looking forward to that.

Hopefully you’ll have the sense to acquire/claim a British passport while you can and still have the choice, you never know what mistakes you may make in the coming years. We only have one life and many Countries can fulfil dreams if not nightmares.

I really appreciate you see me as your fellow subject, I really do, no sarcasm here or whatever. It is really nice.

But one of the reason was exactly that: I am not fancying paying 2000 pounds to become a subject and to have to swear allegiance to some royal family. Thank you very much, I am a free man and I like it that way.

Also: what I would get from having a British passport? I would be able to stay here (I can stay here for 72 pounds, is paying more than 2000 worth to be able to vote in Westminster Elections where, due to first past the post election system, I would most likely have no representation anyway?). Apart from that what British passport offers, that EU passport don't? The only thing I can think of is that I could go to USA without visa. But I am not planning to go there in foreseeable future, and for 2000 pounds I can spend several months backpacking around Asia or Africa if I wanted holidays of my life...

Is your partner a British citizen? Does she share your views regarding the UK and the EU?

No, she's not, and yes. Not only she shares, but she is a driving force behind the decission. She was trying to convince me to consider moving out of Britain for some time, but I really love this country and did not wanted to think about it. But now, I see more and more that she was right. All her predictions about how Brexit is sliding towards disaster so far proved to be accurate. If what she predicts next will also be true, then she is 100% right.

But, honestly speaking, this is not only about Brexit. I feel that I hit a glass ceiling when it comes to my career options here, and we are running out of beautiful places in Britain to visit for the first time. I think the change of scenery would be nice. :)

It’s good that her profession can provide security for you both, some EU countries have high unemployment and we often gamble on our good health to get us through.

Actually, just out of spite, she put on her LinkedIn page, that she *might be* interested in jobs in Finland. She had to put it down, as within a week she received several job offers, had four interviews over the phone or skype and 2 companies actually offered her a job. She was basically ready to pack up and go, but I told her to do not jump too hastily without considering everything (especially that we've learned, that she could expect a bit more money for her qualification). She was getting a bit frustrated, as she was trying to change job here, and with being non-UK citizens, companies are afraid to hire such people because of Brexit (this is actually reported by several of my friends, not only EU citizens). Also, the stagnation on the job market can be observed here already, at least in Scotland.

Country Locked’

The latest proposals agreed between the UK and EU would allow British passport holders who live in EU countries to retain all the rights they currently enjoy in that country, after Brexit.

Except for one important condition: they’d be ‘country locked’ which means that while you would retain rights to live and work in Finland as a post-Brexit Brit, you wouldn’t be able to just leave to live or work in another EU country.

Well, I won't be, because I am not a Brit. You will be.

Glad to hear that! Should Poland also come out of Europe, Poland will need all the skilled citizens it can keep hold of, if it is to maintain any future prospects and avoid a Russian overlord.

Poland won't go out of Europe, Poles are one of the most-pro EU nations. But with what our government is doing, I am afraid that Poland will be kicked out of Europe. And then, indeed, we will fall straight into "welcoming" arms of Russia.

No I wasn’t, although the EU is now governed by a bunch of frustrated prison screws.

Ah, apparently we are talking about two completely different EU's :)

Trade is vital to all Countries and we will see each and everyone of the remaining EU Countries clambering over each other (in secret dealings with the UK if need be) to secure their trade share with its ex-partner.

No, they won't. Why they should? They are part of the common market, they negotiate as a whole of the EU, which gives them much better negotiating position, because they are, you know, BETTER TOGETHER :)

• Ah, had to split it in two, as went over the lenght limit for a single post:

Neither one of us can afford to cut our nose off, to spite a disappointed face, even if it costs a little more and takes a little longer. No room for sentiment when £$€ are up for grabs.

Neither of us can afford to harm ourselves. But while for any of the EU countries it would be like loosing a finger, for UK it will be like to have both hands cut off. Therefore, again, who do you think will be more desperate to strike a deal?

You assume the EU club is ethically equal and considerate to each member state. Spain, Italy and Greece will need somewhere to dump their surplus olives.

I don't know if you heard, a new trade deals between EU and Canada and Australia are in the pipeline. Also, with Eastern European countries becoming richer, the market for olive oil (since you brought it up) grows by two digit numbers since like 2011 in Poland. I would guess in other countries of the region the situation is similar. And Poland itself has over 35 000 000 people... Growth in demand for olive oil in Eastern Europe will easily offset loss of British customer. And, last but not least, you will still like to get your olive oil, right? And having to choose between shipping it half way across the globe and importing it from the EU with tariffs and crap it might turn out, that you will still be getting it from Italy. You would just have to pay much more for it in Tesco.

I know, that you are very proud of your country, but let me tell you a little secret: Great Britain is no longer that great. The world does not revolves around it. Nor it does around any other of European countries - compared to major global players they are all mere minions. That's why they have to stick together, to have some impact and to be able to make their voice heard.

Trade may be slow across borders in the interim, but greed will overcome diplomacy.

and so it will overcome British national pride. Because blue passports and sovereignity is one, but not everyone will be willing to fry his dinner on goose fats just to stick finger up to those stupid Europeans.

• I am a former union safety rep. I never bow down to patronising people who deliberately try to make others look foolish because they don't have a real argument...

Why not find another forum to take the piss out of?

What's a safety rep mean?

Is it safety for the companies or safety for the workers? Or both?

Did you represent guys who climbed up a rickety ladder with a paint can in one hand and 2 brushes in the other, and a fag hanging out of the corner of their mouths?

Anyway, c'mon Brexit, yeeeeehhhaaaaaa ?

• orys, it sounds like Brexit is a good thing for you, so why the long post? Go follow your dream. This is what Great Britain is all about. Following our dreams.

What we value and the price we pay is always ongoing. I/We/some of us, the majority who voted are pleased for once that our elected government are actually doing what the electorate demanded from the referendum. Lets hope other leaders in EU member Countries listen to their citizens when the time comes.

I’m sick of hearing filter feeders of different nationalities dissing our Country, it’s people, it’s governing process and it’s future prospects, while being happy to be here and enjoy our hospitality, generosity, compassion.

There are no guarantees in this world, just aspersions for a way of life to cherish. Many of your fellow foreigners are not in such a privileged position as you and your partner. So please bear this in mind when telling the world how crap you think it will be here in the UK once you’ve left. for it’s still the dream of many residing Polish.

May peace flow freely regardless of borders and each soul find safe passage to a place to call home.

• Who the fuck is going to draw up a trade agreement with the UK?

This shitty nation that has projected so many sick processes out into the world in the name of empire, capitalisation, industrialisation, exploitation, profiteering, elitism, class creation and the beaurocratic bullshit that follows.

England is going to be fucked over and shat on from all directions post brexit and it really is time that our snotty landowners were put in their place.

With May, Hammond, Gove, Johnson, Rees-Mogg, utter & cunts on our side of the negotiating table you just know we are going to get shafted. Apart from their banker friends of course. This lot sold 7.7% of RBS shares for a 2 billion pound loss...despite RBS making nearly a billion pounds in profit. Can this lot do anything right?

• orys, it sounds like Brexit is a good thing for you,

The whole point is, that it is actually not good for me (or, actually, for pretty much anyone else). I would rather stay here, where I am happy and continue to be happy.

I am just this kind of a man who tries to make something good of everything, so I am looking for positives for me.

I’m sick of hearing filter feeders of different nationalities dissing our Country, it’s people, it’s governing process and it’s future prospects, while being happy to be here and enjoy our hospitality, generosity, compassion.

I, on the other side, I am fed up with Britons telling me that if I live here, I am not allowed to speak about this country, unless I do it only in superlatives.

This is the country I live in, it has good sides to it, but it has its flaws, just like every other place on this planet. I don't understand why I cannot discuss the whole spectrum, like everyone else?

I/We/some of us, the majority who voted are pleased for once that our elected government are actually doing what the electorate demanded from the referendum.

Well, seems those "some of you" are in a minority, as three of four Britons think that Brexit is going bad. And it's not only those, who did not wanted it in the first place:

DfGoM-sXcAIKhz9.jpg

• That is a reflection of what people think about the mess the present government is making of Brexit, orys, that's all.

It doesn't mean deciding on Brexit is a mess,; it means our government is making a mess of what they are supposed to be doing.

I took part in one of those surveys, not long ago, and I said the same - the British government is making a mess of it. They had never prepared any exit strategy before the referendum, and were totally unprepared for the result.

Personally I think that, with so much financial involvement, the government are both wanting their cake, and wanting to eat it, and one cannot do both.

So we may be left in the worst of all worlds, the Hotel California situation, where we can sign out, but we cannot leave....

• the govt never had any exit strategy because they were so fuckin certain they weren't gonna need one! Don't think they expected the vote to go the way it did, and now with typical treasonable actions and efficiency, they seem to be dragging their heels and milking us one last time for every fuckin groat they've decided we're gonna be fucked out of. If we voted out, why should it take this long to even start closing the doors???

• We were fked before we started with a referendum. Spiralling. At best we will have a place to hold on to and start to build a fresh.

I don’t want anyone telling my missus to cover her face in a public place and We can scrap Christmas too while we are at it. The environment must come first. Food, free clean water, affordable shelter, a safe place to live, freedom to essemble and freedom to speak. A government who acts in the Countries best interest and a police force that serves its citizens for starters. The list goes on, but we are only at the planning stage. I can’t wait for 2nd fix and the years of snagging.

• We were fked before we started with a referendum. Spiralling. At best we will have a place to hold on to and start to build a fresh.

I don’t want anyone telling my missus to cover her face in a public place and We can scrap Christmas too while we are at it. The environment must come first. Food, free clean water, affordable shelter, a safe place to live, freedom to essemble and freedom to speak. A government who acts in the Countries best interest and a police force that serves its citizens for starters. The list goes on, but we are only at the planning stage. I can’t wait for 2nd fix and the years of snagging.

Indeed AW, we were, rather we are in a spiralling spin, as both main parties of the outmoded, outdated two party system we have, I say two party system, there other parties but it's only ever tories or labourmthat get in power depending on the mood of the nation as to what way they vote, and neither party is worth a piss the way they go about it. Brexit rocked the political inside as they didnt expect the leave result, I reckon we will pay for it for a while but they will have to just jolly well get on with it. We wont sink as a nation but will have to roll with the change. the higher echelons of politics and business rely on the nation of workers for them to hold the positions and power and they wont be relinquishing that and the wealth they accumulate off the back of it any day soon. By getting out of Europe, I do feel we have escaped being just another state within the united states of Europe, we've always been a stand alone nation and should remain so.

Yep, they can certainly do away with christmas and other similar wastes of resources for the sake of the environment.

• I am living abroad and do not give a shit about Brexit. why ? Nothing has been decided as yet and we do not know what will come to pass,so one of the big rules in the fly book of happy living is do not worry about something when there is not yet something to worry about.

It may affect my life on the mainland,or may not. I shall look at any problems when they are in affect and take action to find the solutions. Until then,its just politics and does not desrve a place in my life.

There are always going to be rules and restrictions no matter where you live and with what you want to do,does what they call it really make a difference.

Maybe Britain will become Great Britain !!!!

There will always be happiness if we look for it ;-)

• I do concur with that I.C. none of the modern changes in laws or long standing laws has ever stopped me living my life as I see fit and I cant imagine it will unless we turn into a full on dictatorship.

• Who said again !!!!!!

I just do not see the point of all the negative speculation that some people are putting into their minds and hearts.

No one knows who is getting kicked out,who is staying,what is changing

All the speculation on this is starting to sound like a special edition of the sun newspaper [panic]

• That is a reflection of what people think about the mess the present government is making of Brexit, orys, that's all.

It doesn't mean deciding on Brexit is a mess,; it means our government is making a mess of what they are supposed to be doing.

And what exactly they were supposed to be doing? I am yet to hear what government should be doing to make Brexit work :)

So far I hear only that it's Europe's fault, as they do not put ready tailored solutions forward, that would allow for Britain to have cookie and eat it.

Personally I think that, with so much financial involvement, the government are both wanting their cake, and wanting to eat it, and one cannot do both.

So we may be left in the worst of all worlds, the Hotel California situation, where we can sign out, but we cannot leave....

Well, we agree about the cookie situation. This is major problem here: it screams that they are prisoners like in the Hotel California, but in fact the situation is opposite: they want to sign out and hot having to pay any future bills, yet to be allowed to stay...

If we voted out, why should it take this long to even start closing the doors???

You could leave anytime - it is just if you decide to leave without any deal, it would be a disaster, an order of magnitude bigger disaster for you than for the EU. That's why they try to gain something in negotiations - and, as you mentioned, since they never had plan, it is not easy. Especially if they want to please everyone here and keep pushing for the impossible "having and eating cookie" situation, to which the EU would never agree, as they have to protect the rest of it's citizens, so they won't offer Britain a free ride.

Is EU telling your missus to cover her face and demands Britain to scrap Christmas? Several EU countries already outlawed covering one's face in public, surely UK does not need to leave the EU to introduce similar law as well?

Also: let me remind you, that Britain, who opted out of the Schengen agreement, has it's own immigration policy for non-EU migrants anyway. So if you feel that there is too much Arabs or people from Pakistan in your country, this has nothing to do with the EU.

I can't actually see how any of the things you mentioned are dependant on the EU. Although we might differ in that I think (and so do your goverment did before Brexit referendum - and they are on record saying that) that being in the EU is in the countries best interest.

Nothing has been decided as yet and we do not know what will come to pass,so one of the big rules in the fly book of happy living is do not worry about something when there is not yet something to worry about.

It may affect my life on the mainland,or may not.

The thing is, that it already affects your life if you live here. Pound dropped so bad, that when I go for my holidays to Poland I am 20% poorer than before Brexit. My friend was unable to get a job unless she gets British passport, as the companies are not sure about what will happen. And she was trying to find a new job because she loves Glasgow, and yet her company is moving to Austria because of Brexit...

My friend's son was accepted to study at the British university (and he would pay hefty tutition fees and was willing to do so), now he studies in Germany (for free), as he wasn't sure what will happen, and nobody was even able to tell him if his British diploma would be recognized in Europe after Brexit...

It works the other way around, I heard about a British girl who studied in Science-Po in France and as the only one in her group was refused a placement in some European Institution. She cries "discrimination" and "anti-Britishness" but the institution in question simply excplained, that most of the people picked for placements stay in the job, and therefore is no point for them taking her on, as only EU citizens are allowed to work for EU institution, and with Brexit coming, she will soon loose this right.

She was outraged, as 3 years of her studies in european administration went to waste and demands some special rights for her - apparently she hadn't heard that Brexit means Brexit...

Until then,its just politics and does not desrve a place in my life.

Well, yes. But as they say "you might not be interested in Politics unless the day comes, when politics gets interested in you"

• We have our own agenda. We won’t disclose it until those half hearted folk disappear from our shores and we can do a proper head count. When we will know what we have to build with. :wave:

Those who have a choice, have a choice! For those who have no choice it’s repatriation, not ethnic cleansing. Freerange egg and cress sandwiches will be served on the village greens. Utopia isn’t a birthright, it’s a vocation. :rtfm:

• And what exactly they were supposed to be doing? I am yet to hear what government should be doing to make Brexit work

They are supposed to be negotiating from a position of strength, which they would have been in if they had prepared a proper exit strategy. They don't really want to leave, and I was surprised that the referendum vote to leave was able to be declared publicly, and caught them on the hop.

Had they really thought the referendum would have turned out the way it did, and had not wanted to leave, you can bet they would in some way have fudged or doctored the results.

As for leaving, I think maybe they are quietly collaborating with the EU in private, while squawking about how difficult the negotiations are in public.