House of Lords blocks Brexit

• Didn't Tony Blair's government try to block the power of the House of Lords, with Conservatives voting against it?

MPs are not going to do anything against the House of Lords because most MPs on both sides of the house see it as their retirement home and income.

Similarly failed MPs like Peter Mandleson and Nick Clegg don't want us to leave the EU because they want jobs as European Commissioners

• I have the suspicion that a no deal brexit would be the most advantageous outcome for true commoners and probably for those who voted for brexit.

I don't want brexit.

I'm increasingly pissed off at labour and the lord's for playing this 'brexit' in a way that will protect their fortunes.

Labour had only to campaign for a second referendum upon finding themselves in opposition to a 'hard brexit' bargaining tool. By not doing so they are yet again attempting to sell out the common people in favour of the old boys network.

Once again....I think brexit sucks....I don't believe in it and I don't want it BUT ....hard brexit has far more benefits for the poor....both labour and the lord's don't want that.

• members with more than five posts will not see this advert

• I want Brexit, I think we made a simple mistake in joining the EU because there is nothing in the deal that is of any real advantage to us. There never was and there never will be. Simple fact, no regrets or recriminations but we do have to get out.

No divorce is easy and we are going to have to pay. We were MUCH better off trading with the Commonweath and we behaved really badly towards them when we joined the EU. The best we can hope for is forgiveness from them.

A bad marriage, it happens, the EU is largely a failed experiment. Instead of creating prosperity and accord it has driven many member states into virtual bankruptcy. Why would we want to stay in this abusive environment?

The EU had potential and lots of promise but it never came to be.

We are lucky, we never joined the Euro and we still have the Commonwealth (hopefully) so we are not getting it "up the back passage" like Italy, Spain, Portugal and Greece.

We have to go now while we still can, its going to be tough now but the longer we leave it the tougher it will get.

c

• I know! Just you wait till the leave the EU and we go back to flogging lamb to New Zealand. At the moment, thanks to the EU we have to take their lamb, but when we are freed from their shackles well export more to them and bankrupt their sheep farmers!

Life was so much better back before 1/1/73.

• Don't get it... We wanted a referendum, got one and voted to pull out of the eu! Why the fuck are we still hearing this shit?... We voted out, we should be out! The whining cunts should shut the fuck up now and do their jobs and sort this out. They are like fuckin babies... they lost the vote so now they want another one. If they got one and lost again they still wouldn't be happy. We should have done this years ago, while we still had a manufacturing industry, making goods to trade with. Our country has been raped by our politicians and they should all be tried for treason, never mind paid the extortionate wages they all seem to think they are entitled to.

• The problem with having a second referendum is that, if it went against Brexit, that is only a score of one each to each side.

So logically we would need a third referendum to settle the matter conclusively.

Or maybe the bent bastards who are whining for it would say "there we voted to stay in so we can stop voting now".... CUNTS! Not to be trusted!

• Remainer protest groups are just a bunch of cry baby losers, but would the leave campaign have tried to do the same thing and go for overturning the WINNING result if it had gone the other way. It was the British public's finest hour in being allowed to get involved in a major political event and we pulled it off with aplomb. And that total fuckwit tony blair getting involved, who the fuck asked his opinion.

• Remainer protest groups are just a bunch of cry baby losers, but would the leave campaign have tried to do the same thing and go for overturning the WINNING result if it had gone the other way. It was the British public's finest hour in being allowed to get involved in a major political event and we pulled it off with aplomb. And that total fuckwit tony blair getting involved, who the fuck asked his opinion.

There are no longer any excuses as to why the public should not vote on every change that is put before the Commons.

Don't big it up as a special exception. It should be the norm in a technologically capable democracy.

For all the bickering that goes on in parliament there isn't much achieved there.

Batton these MPs in rooms with their constituents for fourty hours a week and maybe they would become a bit more understanding or burnt out....either way it's a win for Joe public.

• There is an election process called SORTITION, which from a quick scan through,appears to be the most democratic of all systems ...I would like to see our second House elected in this fashion .......Perhaps the people could really decide a few of the big decisions

• On many subjects, would the general public know enough about the subject to vote in a meaningful way?

Many Scandinavian countries hold plebiscites, in which the whole country can participate.

With results not always to the joy of those in charge, of course.

But this kind of voting can give a very good indication of what the majority of people in a country feel about something. Rather like a lightweight referendum.

The results of plebiscites are not always politically-correct, but usually involve a certain amount of common-sense instead.

Tough, that is democracy as a system in operation, and it has it's faults.

• Hm.

So Britain wants to leave EU, because it is not happy with the bunch of allegedly unelected people deciding it's fate and this is stopped by a bunch of people, who are actually really unelected.

There is some irony in it :)

• Hm.

So Britain wants to leave EU, because it is not happy with the bunch of allegedly unelected people deciding it's fate and this is stopped by a bunch of people, who are actually really unelected.

There is some irony in it :)

No we want to leave the EU because we are fed up with having to pay good money to financially support a load of bankrupt countries that just exist on handouts from the EU. The EU is a failed experiment, in no small part because of the existence of countries like that. How can you trade with a country that has no money?

Besides which the House of Lords cannot stop anything, they don't have the power, they can send a bill back to the commons for reconsideration but its only a token thing.

Unlike the EU which is not only unelected it is unaccountable

• Which is the main reason I voted out. Unelected and unaccountable and sticking their fuckin noses into things. We never voted in to be regulated and ruled,we voted for a "common market", for a fair and level place in which to trade. As usual soon as we let them, the cunts at the top hijacked the whole deal and took advantage of the very people that voted them in. At both national and international level, we've been bent over and fuckin raped again and now the public have decided enough is enough hence the vote. That's what happened and now the rich powerful twats at the top don't like it.

• We only went into it because it was going to benefit the rich and powerful (who owned most of industry) and the government of the day could benefit from EU handouts and less red tape.Non of it was to benefit the ordinary working voter

Now some of them have decided they should fair better being a puppet of the US, Chinese and Saudis. Non of that will benefit the ordinary working voter.

All the time Brexit is creeping up the rich and powerful are shifting their assets and corporations to Europe and profits to tax havens.Non of that will benefit the ordinary working voter.

We're stuck with it now and what happens happens but once free of the EU dont imagine the lot of the ordinary working voter will improve any more than it did pre common market entry.

We'll just replace one layer of self interested government with another but with fewer rights or protections.

Most of UK government policy is and always has been formulated by the unelected unaccountable Whitehall civil service,only the flavor changes according to which party holds the reins.No different to unaccountable unelected EU commisions in Brussels.

Like it or not,fair or not the House of Lords is still currently part of the UK 'democratic' process just as the EU referendum was and until theyre replaced by an fully elected upper house,its what we all have to put up with just like we al have to put up with the EU Brexit vote.

Just glad i can emigrate to Italy if it all goes tits up.If i had the money id have gone already.

Your enemy will stab you in the front,your friends stab you in the back - beware your friends,embrace your enemies,you'll always know what youre dealing with.

The post was edited 1 time, last by NomadicRT ().

• Out of the frying pan into the fire!:D

Italy is almost bankrupt, and owes the rich banks of the EU more than any other country still in there!

Except those poor barstards the Greeks, who should have got the hell out while they could.

• Out of the frying pan into the fire!:D

Italy is almost bankrupt, and owes the rich banks of the EU more than any other country still in there!

Except those poor barstards the Greeks, who should have got the hell out while they could.

Yeah but the fookin weather is 1000% better than here (and they do actually have a manufacturing base there unlike here)...the wines cheap too. :D

Your enemy will stab you in the front,your friends stab you in the back - beware your friends,embrace your enemies,you'll always know what youre dealing with.