A philosophical debate about the ego

• Bragging and ego tripping is completely different thing and I find it quite ugly

Everyone has an ego - it's sense of esteem or self, which in itself is not unhealthy. Even your judgement on other people's values comes from your own ego.

However, being negatively self-obsessed or self-deprecating can also be unhealthy, along with listening too much to the inner critic.

So many people are down on themselves I thought it would be fun for people to give themselves some praise - no matter what it might be, as everyone likes different things about themselves. :)

Don't take it so seriously - nobody is forcing you to take part, and you're totally welcome to get deeper and pull your ego apart in another thread. :)

• I totally get the point of the thread in the sense you mean it and writing down what anyone see's as their attributes can be quite life affirming and positive, but as you say, being negatively self obsessed and bestowing an overboard sense of self importance upon the world and someone seeing them self as better, stronger, bigger than anyone else and putting oneself on a pedestal and expect to be worshipped is a pretty pathetic trait to witness and be around, that i find ugly. Ego is something we all have but management of said ego is quite the life skill worth learning.

• There is a place beyond ego, and beyond mind, where one can look at oneself without thought, and see that it is good. If you're in that place, you will look at all others, and see that they are also good.

Coming back into my mind and egoistic self, it has helped me in life to be able to say "well, you sure fucked-up a few times, and you lost it some, and sometimes you weren't all that nice.... but you were always trying to do what's right. You've done a hellova lot more good than bad and you're getting wiser with age. Yeah, you're alright, just keep learning".

• There is a place beyond ego, and beyond mind, where one can look at oneself without thought, and see that it is good. If you're in that place, you will look at all others, and see that they are also good.

Coming back into my mind and egoistic self, it has helped me in life to be able to say "well, you sure fucked-up a few times, and you lost it some, and sometimes you weren't all that nice.... but you were always trying to do what's right. You've done a hellova lot more good than bad and you're getting wiser with age. Yeah, you're alright, just keep learning".

Yes indeed, a place beyond ego is like doing life with a totally different outlook, you have to get there to know it and the difference, it's a different place in the mind to exist from, and it is good. There's much more clarity to life in that place.

• Maxal, i feel the same, stating virtues and life skills you are proud of as it is what makes you you is fine, Bragging and ego tripping is completely different thing and I find it quite ugly.

Yeah, know what you mean Maxal, self awareness can be plain ugly and there seems to be so much of it about. I suffer from very low self esteem which is as bad as having an over inflated ego - just trying to find the centre ground.......where I can accept that I just know fuck all and am open to just letting go of all positive or negative feelings about anything.

Believing anything always appears to bring some kind of conflict and entangling karmic bollocks/cuntage. "Being" would do I think maybe - but thinking is a mebbe part of the problem - just want off this feckin beach :)

• Post by Paul ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves: mistake ().
  • Yeah, know what you mean Maxal, self awareness can be plain ugly and there seems to be so much of it about. I suffer from very low self esteem which is as bad as having an over inflated ego - just trying to find the centre ground.......where I can accept that I just know fuck all and am open to just letting go of all positive or negative feelings about anything.

Believing anything always appears to bring some kind of conflict and entangling karmic bollocks/cuntage. "Being" would do I think maybe - but thinking is a mebbe part of the problem - just want off this feckin beach :)

That is the thing that is most beneficial Jenn, as you say, to just BE. That is a higher form of existence rather than being cluttered with all sorts of crap that floats about in life. To me, to just BE, is of the moment, the here and now, not dwelling on the past or fretting about the future and whirling around with the multitude of emotions we can carry around with us. It's a form of acceptance of the self, to acknowledge your existence as you and embracing that.

• BE what and where and when and how.

None of us can just BE because at the very least the wolves are at the door and the sharks are snapping.

Anxiety culture is not some pseudo psycho social claptrap and among other analysis and theories and actual material fact offers rational explanations as to why it is that the desire to simply BE is undermined and irrationalised.

Why can we not just BE??? Is a most excellent question. (Yes that is a reference to Bill and Ted)

• members with more than five posts will not see this advert

• Yea, good threadings going on......it seems that only now, when I'm on the edge of death (no imminent threat, but just the fact that at age 63, every day is a gift or a curse or an opportunity) - dare I let go of fear because there is nothing much to hang on to in the final analysis :)

I recently threw my cozy little life to the four winds and now, more and more am being asked to throw fear, hope basically any kind of attachment into the abyss.

What is the worst that could happen ? not sure that torture of the most extreme kind goes on in the UK.....I mean there is the torture...........of the DWP, the NHS, the HMRC and incarceration (prison or asylum) would bring another set of challenges and every day there is so much absolute crappy human behaviour, on the road, in the superkarket and mall, in the infant school carpark, with the assholes (often female) that call themselves "parents" in charge of the next generation of psychologically challenged primates at the "top" of the food chain.

Do not go gently into etc etc etc https://oblongdot.bandcamp.com/track/do-not-go-gentle

• Wow Jenn, I can really relate to your perspective. I turn 65 this summer, and the things I've gone through in the last four years has been quite amazing. I was in the hospital four years ago with pneumonia. They put me in a coma for two weeks, and had me tied down, with hoses going in my mouth, my nose, my chest and my dick. When they brought me back, I couldn't even move my fingers. They sent me to a rehab, to learn how to move my arms and legs again...how to walk...how to write...even how to toss a turd. They said I was supposed to be there one week for every day I was in the coma. But I blew their minds when I walked out two weeks later.

I've been going to a transplant center for over a year to see if I qualify to get a new lung. But after my last visit, I think I'm going to pass. It's like a horror movie all the things they say I have to go through to get a lung. I have to take 50 pills a day the rest of my life...and there's a 50% chance my body will reject the lung...then there's the risk of infection...and four to six weeks in the hospital recovery...much more if it doesn't go good. Then visits every two weeks for the first two years, then every six months for the rest of my life.

That's just not much quality of life for me, so I think I'll just go on to the next whatever it is.

They said I died when I was in the hospital with pneumonia, and they brought me back. I didn't see the light at the end of the tunnel. But I did dream of a awesome woman above me, with an I.V. coming out of her and going into me.

I also had a dream about me starring in a show, and I was nekid.

My wife told me I cursed her when she came to visit me everyday. I swear it had to be a demon, because I'd never do that to her. She stayed at a motel everyday that I was in the rehab, because it was 120 miles from where we live.

My whole life has been one adventure after another. And old age has been too. I'm really looking forward to seeing what's on the other side.

• Ah when folk say just be, its a state of mind and nothing else, it isnt sitting on toadstools chanting rainbow unicorn songs, or lolling around doing nothing with the head in the clouds.

Can be in a thick of it with the busyness of modern life with bills to pay, money to earn, dealing with the wolves and sharks but its how you face it. It's being comfortable in your skin, feeling strong and tackling life's problems head on but with a sense of calm, helps to make dealing with the shit storms of life much easier to bear and cope with.

• Hey gop, really grateful for the update on your situation - have thought about u a lot and hoped you were o.k. I had a very good friend died on my ass because of bronchial/pneumonia/lung failure shit.................and I still ache because her family persuaded her to only go with "Western" medicine and I didn't have the personal power to tip their half assed belief system into the ditch.

Life is so weird, so much more than we have been sleepwalked into believing. I mean a lot of the so called "alternative" stuff is run by folk just playing at playing other people and their own egos - ain't got time for a lot of that Reiki palaver - unless it's real genuine stuff - not stupid little twats jumping on a money making bandwagon.

Anyway my friend, I get so much of what you're on about - had my own agg and fear about demons n possession and deep fear that there are lots of things far worse than death - like endless burning in hell and useless ego fuelled fear like than n all - but LOVE can conquer all - just a matter of letting go to really truly deeply madly LOVE n stuff........ https://youtu.be/n2U03T7COwQ

• Hey gop, really grateful for the update on your situation - have thought about u a lot and hoped you were o.k. I had a very good friend died on my ass because of bronchial/pneumonia/lung failure shit.................and I still ache because her family persuaded her to only go with "Western" medicine and I didn't have the personal power to tip their half assed belief system into the ditch.

Life is so weird, so much more than we have been sleepwalked into believing. I mean a lot of the so called "alternative" stuff is run by folk just playing at playing other people and their own egos - ain't got time for a lot of that Reiki palaver - unless it's real genuine stuff - not stupid little twats jumping on a money making bandwagon.

Anyway my friend, I get so much of what you're on about - had my own agg and fear about demons n possession and deep fear that there are lots of things far worse than death - like endless burning in hell and useless ego fuelled fear like than n all - but LOVE can conquer all - just a matter of letting go to really truly deeply madly LOVE n stuff........ https://youtu.be/n2U03T7COwQ

I'm trying to give up "believing", because there are so many that "believe" in this or that, like Jesus or Buddha or Mohammed, and it doesn't matter what anyone believes. The only thing that matters is the "truth"....that's what is real. So many hold on to "beliefs", which keeps them from seeing the "truth".

Many "believe" that all you have to do is "believe" that Jesus died for your sins. But Jesus said this, ...Matthew 7: 18-23

I don't "believe in God" because I know God exists. Science has proven it. All religions are from men that were trying to describe something far beyond their comprehension. But God made sure the "truth" is in them, as long as the "seekers" are looking for it, they will find it. Reincarnation is the mercy of God, to learn the lessons we fail to learn in the present incarnation. Christ is the forgiveness, so that we can be forgiven, but we still must learn the lessons. Even Jesus spoke about reincarnation....Matthew 17:10-13, but there are many reasons for reincarnation. In John's case, he had a prophecy to fulfill.

The only ones that go to hell, are those that choose to. So many can't understand why seemingly innocent people live a life of hell, like those in Syria and many other hellish places. Those are the reincarnations of the nazis and other minions of depots throughout history. "You shall reap what you sow." Imagine how many incarnations like that, that Hitler and Trump may go through. But since God is infinite, he's got all the time in the universe for us to learn the lessons.

My favorite parable is about a Buddhist pilgrim that asked a Sage how many times he would be reincarnated before he reached enlightenment. The Sage pointed to a huge oak tree, and said, "as many leaves as that are on that tree." The pilgrim started dancing with delight and singing! The Sage asked why he was celebrating, and the pilgrim responded, "Because I'm going to make it to Nirvana!"

• Nice post gop - I think letting go of attachment to anything is maybe the way I'm headed ... it's like daring to jump into the abyss ------------ it might be madness, but increasingly I don't feel like I have any choice any more ... because there is no sense to be made of anything ........ it just "IS" ... and I know nothing :o) Judgement about any one or any thing seems increasingly irrelevant to where I is, because good and bad, black and white, happy and sad, all duality is all so fleeting and constantly shifting - like I can't keep up with it any more. Strange old trip, like your style dude, just keep on keeping on kinda thing :)

• I do believe that the leaders of contemporary Christianity have recently proclaimed that Hell no longer exists.

I've been ripped off by a few church going Christians in my time..... obviously just part of them learning the lessons (sic)...I hate to imagine though what this sudden removal of hell might release into the world..... some newly terrifying egoistical spectre to fuck over all those who choose the middle path perhaps?

"ONWARD Christan soldiers"......and something about war and sacrifice etc, etc, bla, bla, bla.

Lambs to the slaughter would find ego something of a hinderence.....better to kill ones ego and be murdered quietly surely?

Why make a fuss?

• Nice post gop - I think letting go of attachment to anything is maybe the way I'm headed ... it's like daring to jump into the abyss ------------ it might be madness, but increasingly I don't feel like I have any choice any more ... because there is no sense to be made of anything ........ it just "IS" ... and I know nothing :o) Judgement about any one or any thing seems increasingly irrelevant to where I is, because good and bad, black and white, happy and sad, all duality is all so fleeting and constantly shifting - like I can't keep up with it any more. Strange old trip, like your style dude, just keep on keeping on kinda thing :)

(((hugs)))

• members with more than five posts will not see this advert