Mental health, labelling and identity

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• The primary purpose of psychiatric diagnoses (read "labels") is to help a doctor/clinician identify possible effective treatment for problems resulting from that diagnosis/label. If the condition that a person has does not require treatment of any sort, then the label doesn't have any positive value.

The secondary purpose is to provide financial justification for the aforementioned treatment.

• Do not worry though Cricket as these are reasoins and not excuses,you would be in my top few people that I would welcome for a visit.

Worried?why?Im worried I wont ever get to meet you is a little presumptive and a weeny bit egotistical?^^I bet you say that to everyone.:DYou could be sat in an inner city flat scripting the big adventure with a jules Verne library or undecover fed8) infiltrating ungaurded hippys for all I know.But it matters not .Life is what it is.8o,

• Why go off the meds after such a long time Jenn?

Everyone's different of course but I only had success off the anti depressants when I didn't have to work for quite awhile and was exposed to lots of sunshine.

I'm not trying to demand an answer from you but fairly soon after I was back in the Brit and work machine the anti depressants were again necessary for me.

erm.....because I developed a severe hypothyroid condition that made me sleep for 6 days out of 7, I was falling asleep at the wheel at 8:30 am and a nights sleep meant nothing, I needed 3 or 4 days. After about 8 months of useless medication I thought "fuck big pharma, fuck the GP, I'm stopping all my meds, to try see what is going on when I'm just un-chemicalled". Well the result took me back 30 years, to when I was a rebel, a non conformist, a free thinker, an eco warrior, a headcase, a nutjob - depending on what your perspective on life and your value system is.

Consequently, my 3 decades of fitting into a corrupt Western system and work profile (commercial artist and product developer for the high street RETAIL market) - which nearly killed me (trying to fight the power) - seems one hell of a waste of threequarters to on whole of a lifetime.

I have just had a conversation with my ex partner about whether I'm mad, bad, dangerous, stupid or just plain misguided. It's a strange old trip zendaze, really don't know anything at all - just having to go with the flow now and trust there is some kind of energy that knows a lot more than little "I" does :) No'one elses path is gonna be right for anyone elses - I can make no judgements about anything - just keep going dude ............. all you can do is yur best in any one day.

• Far out jenn.:wave:good one.x Takes a lot of guts to take the nerve wracking step off the script- go- round.The body gets used to any regular chemical input and has to adjust when the input is withdrawn.What really makes me very pd off is no one actually seems to think much about the effects of differing chemicals mixed together within a highly unique individuals biochemistry.Of course no one can evaluate specific individual reactions,it can only ever be blanket medications that generally seem to have the desired effect on most patients.Some clients i supported were taking a cocktail of 4 or 5 different drugs several times every day.Some of those drugs were to stop negative effects of other drugs.Most were repeat scripts unchanged for several months if not years.In an ideal world,off meds,enough love ,support,good environment,good diet...then see if meds are needed.I was crippled with depression.But i knew it was reactive ,never took the pills and dumped the toxic environment and people,relocated ,lived more true to myself and am getting there.Hippy chat tonic helps a lot too.^^

• so i know this post isn't active right now but I wanted to say that the label Autistic helps. It lets you know why you are so different from everyone else, that you are not mad, it helps you to understand why you ' don't get' what is going on around you all the time.

• so i know this post isn't active right now but I wanted to say that the label Autistic helps. It lets you know why you are so different from everyone else, that you are not mad, it helps you to understand why you ' don't get' what is going on around you all the time.

If thats autism then i might get tested! I "dont get" lots of what goes on around me, looking around at people i think that I'm lucky not to be "normal"