Mental health, labelling and identity

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• "Cant say I'm excited as such....you know....social awkwardness/anxiety and just being in existence in the modern world are overwhelming enough.

It is though a realistic opportunity to be in close proximity to similar souls. A good thing!"

Are you Autistic?

• Fucked if I know....maybe I'm on the spectrum....would it make any difference if I was?

Being on the spectrum wouldn't make much difference. But being diagnosed could for some people be helpful in some situations and could help with some relationship issues.

It could be a useful conversation opener to reopen communication lines with someone to improve understanding and potentially avoid a big falling out that could lead to "burnt bridges" and being alone, depressed, self-isolating and a number of other things.

Do you think it would make any difference to your life, mental health and relations with other people if you were to pursue a diagnosis?

• "Cant say I'm excited as such....you know....social awkwardness/anxiety and just being in existence in the modern world are overwhelming enough.

It is though a realistic opportunity to be in close proximity to similar souls. A good thing!"

Are you Autistic?

Thats a very personal poke NC.Havent you noticed that Zendaze has pointed out several times in various ways to me too.that he is a fragile sensitive person?I also feel overwhelmed landing in an unknown crowd however nice they are.To do with confidence thats all.Labels again.:rolleyes:

• Thats a very personal poke NC.Havent you noticed that Zendaze has pointed out several times in various ways to me too.that he is a fragile sensitive person?I also feel overwhelmed landing in an unknown crowd however nice they are.To do with confidence thats all.Labels again.:rolleyes:

Might just be me but i didn't read NC's post as a poke, more of an innocent question. Could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time, just my take on it.

• I don't understand why my personal perspectives are such a big deal to you both.

People are afflicted with various disabilities and they are not expected to wear badges pronouncing such......there is a reason for that!!!

you state your personal perspectives loud and clear zendaze.I already pmd you recently apologising for my lack of sensitivity in the handbag flinging tournament.im resigning now anyhow.

• ok.if someone sent me an open message saying "are you autistic"i would find that intrusive and very personal making an uneccessary and clinical judgement like that.

Yet it could just be a completely innocent enquiry, from a viewpoint of someone who just wants to know something. I often think that some folk are a bit cheeky, asking questions about personal stuff, but that seems to be just how some people are. Not having a go, just offering up another opinion. ?

• The question that I asked wasn't an attack on Zendaze. It was an attempt to try and connect to someone who I though might also be "on the spectrum".

The Autistic Society states that 1 percent of the global population is likely to be on the autistic spectrum.In USA its up to i.47 percent.Labelling makes it swiftly easy to categorize others and prejudge.Labels,labels..do they honestly matter?:/

• or we could come see you?:D

That would be lovely though It is not easy to catch up with me due to the mental health problem,oops,I mean the nature of my constant moving about. If anyone was ever wanting to do a camping tour of france,I would be happy if they wanted to pop up a tent and chill out in my woods for a while though I am not there often.

In the summer time I am more often to be found in one of the moutain ranges out walking and being,but generally I get back to Brittany late winter for a good tidy up. Do not worry though Cricket as these are reasoins and not excuses,you would be in my top few people that I would welcome for a visit.

Are you Autistic?

I was pretty sure you might've been on the spectrum yourself when I read this comment NC, and I understand why you may have come to that conclusion.

As for for social awkwardness/anxiety, I can vouch for the Dovedale gatherings being very accommodating if you're that way inclined, they were great with me when I visited. It's like stepping into a tranquil bubble that the tension and general shitness of the outside world cant get to.

• Diagnosis is just someone, who took a course got a qualification hopefully, looking up the main indicators of a persons mood and or behaviour,finding a listed category they fit into then giving them tablets to chemically "normalise" /alter that persons moods/behaviour.Zendaze i have no idea who you are,just a stranger online,I just find it sad that any person feels like they need to stand there holding up banners, other people designated for them,saying who they are.You are you.That is good enough hey?:)

• Diagnosis is just someone, who took a course got a qualification hopefully, looking up the main indicators of a persons mood and or behaviour,finding a listed category they fit into then giving them tablets to chemically "normalise" /alter that persons moods/behaviour.Zendaze i have no idea who you are,just a stranger online,I just find it sad that any person feels like they need to stand there holding up banners, other people designated for them,saying who they are.You are you.That is good enough hey?:)

It's a nice theory, that doctors are just pointing out all the ways that you're weird, and giving you pills to try and help you "fit in", but the reality is that a diagnosis can really help people understand how their mind works a bit better, recognise their triggers and develop coping mechanisms, and medication is sometimes a necessary step for people struggling to cope. Not always, but sometimes.

• It's a nice theory, that doctors are just pointing out all the ways that you're weird, and giving you pills to try and help you "fit in", but the reality is that a diagnosis can really help people understand how their mind works a bit better, recognise their triggers and develop coping mechanisms, and medication is sometimes a necessary step for people struggling to cope. Not always, but sometimes.

you missed the point.

• i mean people are people labels dont matter.

If someone identifies a certain way, then that label would matter to them, because self identity is important, right? If someone's brain behaved so differently that they had a name for it's behaviour, then that label would matter alot to them, wouldn't it? We're all here talking right now because we feel some sort of connection to the label "hippy", and I like that connection. I think I know what you mean though, maybe a more accurate statement would be: "I wont let labels affect my opinion on someone", which I agree with. "Labels dont matter" sounds dismissive.

Sorry if I missed the point again

• If someone identifies a certain way, then that label would matter to them, because self identity is important, right? If someone's brain behaved so differently that they had a name for it's behaviour, then that label would matter alot to them, wouldn't it? We're all here talking right now because we feel some sort of connection to the label "hippy", and I like that connection. I think I know what you mean though, maybe a more accurate statement would be: "I wont let labels affect my opinion on someone", which I agree with. "Labels dont matter" sounds dismissive.

Sorry if I missed the point again

Its good of you to redefine my words into what you consider a more accurate statement.But really its okay i can manage to communicate very well on my own thanks.As you appear to be from a different generation to me, where labels were the all and females needed guidance on constructing conversations,your perception is different to mine.Labels are judgements,made by others most often, to categorise everything in their environment which gives a feeling of control,the known,the quantifiable.People are highly complex individuals,in my experience, extensive experience of people with differing needs and levels of health,i have seen much suffering caused by being labelled.It is also arrogant to presume the right and /or ability to label another.

• Its good of you to redefine my words into what you consider a more accurate statement.But really its okay i can manage to communicate very well on my own thanks.As you appear to be from a different generation to me, where labels were the all and females needed guidance on constructing conversations,your perception is different to mine.Labels are judgements,made by others most often, to categorise everything in their environment which gives a feeling of control,the known,the quantifiable.People are highly complex individuals,in my experience, extensive experience of people with differing needs and levels of health,i have seen much suffering caused by being labelled.It is also arrogant to presume the right and /or ability to label another.

Okay, I'll bite.

You said "labels dont matter." They may not matter to you, but they do to other people, so were you wrong, or did you communicate badly? If a bunch of people all behave in a certain way, what's wrong with giving that behaviour a name? It's not arrogant or judgemental to see a pattern of behaviour, and give that pattern a name, IMO. This talk of labels started from a mention of an autism diagnosis; is that what you think is happening, doctors are just "categorising everything in their environment which gives a feeling of control"?

Not sure how you came to the conclusion that I'm from a generation "where labels were the all and females needed guidance on constructing conversations" - I assumed you were human and just as capable of making mistakes as the rest of us.

• Okay, I'll bite.

You said "labels dont matter." They may not matter to you, but they do to other people, so were you wrong, or did you communicate badly? If a bunch of people all behave in a certain way, what's wrong with giving that behaviour a name? It's not arrogant or judgemental to see a pattern of behaviour, and give that pattern a name, IMO. This talk of labels started from a mention of an autism diagnosis; is that what you think is happening, doctors are just "categorising everything in their environment which gives a feeling of control"?

Not sure how you came to the conclusion that I'm from a generation "where labels were the all and females needed guidance on constructing conversations" - I assumed you were human and just as capable of making mistakes as the rest of us.

Why would you want to bite ? I am not human nor do i make mistakes,never,ever, ever.As you stated 4 score and 20 as your avatar i presumed you were 100 years of age and things were different when you evolved.You chose to restructure what i said.Hence the whiff of condescending elder male reached my snout and brain.

Was talking about society in general,where people cannot escape the label foisted on them by someone else.I have sat in many team meetings watching the god consultant cast judgement upon a person,drawing a conclusion from perceptions of others.That is put in a record that follows that person till death..Your nhs medical record is stuffed with other peoples perceptions of you.

I welcome all.If you are easy to be with, are honest and we get on and I do not want to know who thinks your anything.I have been judged many times and labelled.Gypsy labelled me as verbose yesterday,dont know why.:/Even gender is a label.Humans8o.I am building a cabin this summer in a wild place where everything "just is" and no being seeks to judge.:)As for drs they are pill pushers of the very worst kind.

• My son who is a Psychologist and works with autistic children and other special needs has often said everybody is autistic it just a matter of the extent. Similarly we are all bipolar, all psychotic, all OCD and all have ADHD to some degree but for most people it isn't enough to become a difficulty. For others it is.

That to some extent is what makes us the individuals that we are. The more people realise that the less these things become stigmatised

• Well said Bernie....hope the source of information has back up.

Personally I see that train of expansive thought as very helpful and assistive in all folk arriving at a realistic understanding of social morality.

I learned to shut my obtuse gob though after some uncomfortable challenges.

Mind expanding use of labelling fella.

Gets a few gold stars from my philosophical encampment!!!

• As for drs they are pill pushers of the very worst kind.

Isnt that also a label? I would also disagree strongly with your statement.

It was my doctor who took the time to get me to talk to him about issues that left me pretty close to killing myself a few years ago, and who also helped with the subsequent treatment which did include by my own choice antidepressants.

If it wasnt for him i wouldnt be here, and the pills he "pushed" helped me enormously.

• I Think That Some People Like Want Need Etc Labels And Identity Etc As That To Them Gives Them Peace Of Understanding There Mental Health And Wellbeing And A Sense Of Belonging And Helps Them Also Join And Meet Others With Either The Same Or Similar Things They Live Day To Day With And So Fewl More Confietable Reachibg Out To Talk With More Easily With And Get Advice And Even Get Comfort From Knowing There Are Others Going Through And Living Day To Day With Just Like They Are.

And Also Like Or Need Or Want Labels And Indentity For Help And Maybe Medications And Monitiring Them Which Helps Them Get Things With Exta Money And Extra Help With Possible Housing And Help Groups And Help Advisors And Point Them In The Right Direction With Help What They May Need And Be Looking Fo Be It Money Or Housing Or Social Reasons ..Forms Or Medications And General Help And Advice Etc Etc Etc .

And Then There Be Some People Who Fight Against ..Refuse .And .Do Not Like Any Form Of "Labelling/Identity" And Prefer To Just Simply Live And Enjoy The Lifestyle And Choices They Make And Have Choosen Themswlves Free Or Any Labels Or Identity And Are Happy To Just Get On And Get By The Way They Want Too With Or Without Medications Or With Or Without Help Or Advice From Others Etc Because They Feel If They Want Help Or Advice Etc They Will Do It Themselves And Find It Themselves At There Own Pace And Own Time If When And If They Want To Free Or Labels And Free Of Identity Etc

Because At The End Of The Day It Is A Persons Own Free Will And Free Choice If They Want Or Need And Accept Labels/Identity Or Whether They Do Not Want Or Accept And Fight Against And Dont Need Or Dont Agree With Any Kind Of Labelling/Identity Etc Etc .

It Boils Down Sinply To "Free Choice" As Everybody Needs And Likes And Dislikes And Needs Etc Etc Are All "DIFFERENT"

And So People And Anybody Should Always "Respect Others Lifestyle Choices" And Not Force "There Own Lifestyle Or Judge Label Etc Others By There Own Preferred Lifestyle Choices"

Simply Because We Are "ALL DIFFERENT" Be It Mental Health Labelling/Identity Or Lifestyle Choices" Etc Etc It Is Down To Each Person To Pick And Choose And Decide What Feels Right For Them And Whats Wrong For Them In There Own Life And There Own Life Choices.

• Isnt that also a label? I would also disagree strongly with your statement.

It was my doctor who took the time to get me to talk to him about issues that left me pretty close to killing myself a few years ago, and who also helped with the subsequent treatment which did include by my own choice antidepressants.

If it wasnt for him i wouldnt be here, and the pills he "pushed" helped me enormously.

All discussion (and thinking for that matter) is only moments in time........generalisations are possibly meaningless and final positions or conclusions, maybe dead ends and closed minds. I was very grateful for acres of psychobabble and counselling, 30 years of antidepressant medication - which I stopped taking 6 months ago - and now my life could be seen as a trainwreck. My own jury is still out as to whether any choices I made in my life were good or bad........it happened, I am where I am and am trying to take a day at a time trusting in the concept of right action, big love, invisible wonders, unknown abilities, lifetimes of possibilities and what little courage I can muster. Life is wyrd, wyrd as the shit is endless :) xxx

• Why go off the meds after such a long time Jenn?

Everyone's different of course but I only had success off the anti depressants when I didn't have to work for quite awhile and was exposed to lots of sunshine.

I'm not trying to demand an answer from you but fairly soon after I was back in the Brit and work machine the anti depressants were again necessary for me.