Surviving the resignation period at work

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I handed in my months notice today for my job where I've been working as a director. It's a very toxic company that promotes bullying and lies - it felt like junior managers would quite happily stab you through the heart if it meant they get a promotion.

I don't have a job lined-up, I'm just going to go full hippy (whatever that means) for while and spend some time gardening and baking bread.

I'm just pretty worried about working my last month as they get very nasty with people who resign. I would like to work out my months notice as the money would be handy and I'd like to leave with a clear conscience. I'm also worried they might try and sue me if I leave early even if it's because of their behaviour - they're clever as they don't leave a paper trail.

I just wondered if anyone else has gone through a similar experience and has any advice they'd like to share?

• Im very weak in that regard but in my defence I don't believe in the rectitude of the jobbing that brings about such forced relationships in the first place.

I'd duck out. Go sick. But that's me.

If you are sick that's that...you go to your GP and tell them about the nasty work culture and the stress it is causing you. Your GP signs you off....the end.

Sounds like you want to work it though. Good luck.

• Put your health first hon.If you don't feel you want to work out your notice,then don't.I took a week off 3 yrs ago between jobs,just getting my thoughts together,going for walks,baking,yoga etc to get myself grounded.I bumped into an old colleaque a few months ago,and they told me nothing had changed at my old workplace.Still bullying and corruption going on.I'm glad I left.

• No jobs worth it hon.I did'nt work out my notice,did'nt use sick leave either.Just went in one day,and more or less told them where to shove the job!:D A couple of days later the big boss from another site,wrote to me,asking for a meet up to discuss my exit! I declined.I figured the knobhead who was my boss would have some explaining to do.;) Say nothing and keep people wondering!lol

• Not the same thing, I know, but the last real employment I had was the one from which I was made redundant nearly twenty years ago. I had worked in hundreds of schools throughout the authority as an advisory music teacher for thirteen years. From the moment I was "named" I stopped being a person. People wouldn't look at me or talk to me. I shall forever be grateful to the one person in the organisation (out of the hundreds still on the books) who phoned me one morning and said that although he could not believe I had been chosen as one of the sacrificial eleven and didn't know what to say, he wanted to phone me to express his sorrow and solidarity. We weren't even close friends or colleagues, but I'll love him forever for that. This was in direct contrast to the weasel who realised the local authority was actually getting rid of the last person who could even attempt to do my job and he fancied his chances, seeing as how a lot of what I did would still need to be covered. I walked in and he was at my desk going through my books and other resources that I used to keep in the office for reference. He got very short shrift indeed.

I concur with the others. Get out while you can. I was not allowed to begin trading independently for several weeks after my employment was terminated. The whole situation was toxic and left me feeling very hard done by for several years afterwards. I think I'm over it now. I may not have a garden, but I do have a boat to live on and my music to keep me sane.

Best wishes to you, Rosewood, and I wish you the best for whatever you do next.

• Post by Maxal ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves ().
  • Thank you marshlander.

Your way experience sounds terrible but I'm glad you had one kind soul who contacted you. I've been through redundancy once before and it seemed to bring out the worst in the people who retained their job.

I hope life is treating you well living on a boat, it sounds pretty lovely.

• Its good to discuss all this Rosewood.I've experienced my fair share of bullying/aggressive behaviour,and witnessed this in my current job only last week!Some poor soul was getting his head ripped off!Disgusting behaviour at work.If I'm the victim,I tend to take that person aside,and calmly say I won't be tolerating any future crap behaviour from them.Of course,I really should'nt even be having to address this type of crap at work.Who should?Someone may argue that the perpetrator is a victim themselves....probably getting heaps of pressure from those above....blah blah blah.......could be true,but I was a manager myself,and always spoke to my staff with the utmost respect,even if the pressure was being laid on.There is NO excuse.Its about time work places addressed this issue seriously.They all have their bullying policies in place.I wonder how many people have come forward,only to be brushed off as either being a trouble maker,or overly sensitive?Its one of my pet hates atm,and it needs to stop asap.

• Its good to discuss all this Rosewood.I've experienced my fair share of bullying/aggressive behaviour,and witnessed this in my current job only last week!Some poor soul was getting his head ripped off!Disgusting behaviour at work.If I'm the victim,I tend to take that person aside,and calmly say I won't be tolerating any future crap behaviour from them.Of course,I really should'nt even be having to address this type of crap at work.Who should?Someone may argue that the perpetrator is a victim themselves....probably getting heaps of pressure from those above....blah blah blah.......could be true,but I was a manager myself,and always spoke to my staff with the utmost respect,even if the pressure was being laid on.There is NO excuse.Its about time work places addressed this issue seriously.They all have their bullying policies in place.I wonder how many people have come forward,only to be brushed off as either being a trouble maker,or overly sensitive?Its one of my pet hates atm,and it needs to stop asap.

I agree, it's incredible what goes on and doesn't get reported then people are surprised when staff leave. I work for a family run company which has made things quite awkward as hr is in the pocket of the owner. There are procedures set up but there isn't much you can do as some of the other directors gossip to the staff so any personal info is told to everyone - especially when someone resigns.

I don't agree with the excuse either - that it happens because 'the managers are stressed'. I never once took my stress out on other people because it isn't their fault and ultimately I don't its worth having a heart attack over a job.

I was a bit worried about starting a new thread as I haven't done it before but you've all made me feel loads better. Thank you. I know I'll wake up in a few weeks time and I'll wonder why I stuck it out for so long or worried about quitting.

• The other way is to get the company to force you to leave immediately, this is a normal procedure if you are leaving to work for a rival company, then to stop you harvesting data and jobs and customers to take with you they enforce termination immediately, you still have to take the month before you are eligible to start with the new company, but you are out of there.

I had that when I started with my current employer, I phoned up my old company who I worked for from home on a zero hours contract, and within 10 minutes all my access had been removed.

• I worked in a relatively 'safe' profession - publishing, but even there you would get a certain amount of aggression, and yes bullying, then there are the silly dynamics of poularism etc. Strange that people can't rise above that. There's something about people once they enter a group and the dynamics of a particular group. I've often noted how a bad company head can filter negativity downwards and have a really bad effect on working relations. The same with a good company head filtering positive ideals down. So, the trick is to find a job where there is a healthy working environment. Don't waste your effort working for assholes who you don't respect (of course not everybody is in a position to chose, but maybe it can be worked at . . .), they don't deserve your talent.

With it being Woman of the Year this year, there is a lot on the news about bullying and sexual aggression etc. It's good to raise this awareness and worrying that it is everywhere. It's also time we rectified some of the power inequalitities so that workers can complain about unacceptable behaviour, without the worry of losing a job (isn't it in the boss's interest to have a happy working crew?)

It's a shame you had to go through this, but hopefully your leaving will now allow a better and more informed way for you? You said, "It's a very toxic company that promotes bullying and lies." Strong statement. (Sounds like Sales . . .) Do you think the profession itself attracted bad behaviour? To avoid the same, maybe you need to seek out something different. Figure out what you really want etc. Good luck, but also appreciate the break in between - your garden awaits. :)

I've been working within an academic type profession but I can see why you would think it was a sales type job. I've been in this profession for 14 years and moved around quite a few companies as it was the nature of the industry for quite a while. Although all the companies I've worked for have had their good and bad points this company has been quite unique. When I was starting out it was a pretty laid back job - hard work but fun. Over the years new people coming in seem more concerned about getting promotions instead of learning and developing skills so perhaps there has been a general shift in attitudes.

Thankfully I took the time to learn new skills over the last few years as I wanted to have back-up qualifications if things went a bit sour. I've been thinking about setting up my own little business for a while now so I should be thankful really that the company has provided the motivation I needed to get started.

• The other way is to get the company to force you to leave immediately, this is a normal procedure if you are leaving to work for a rival company, then to stop you harvesting data and jobs and customers to take with you they enforce termination immediately, you still have to take the month before you are eligible to start with the new company, but you are out of there.

I had that when I started with my current employer, I phoned up my old company who I worked for from home on a zero hours contract, and within 10 minutes all my access had been removed.

It isn't that kind of job really as I wasn't working direct with any clients. You never know though, I might luck out when I go back after Easter.

Apologies for being shifty about the job/profession. I'd never name the company but until I've officially left I'm going to err on the aide of caution.

• It isn't that kind of job really as I wasn't working direct with any clients. You never know though, I might luck out when I go back after Easter.

Apologies for being shifty about the job/profession. I'd never name the company but until I've officially left I'm going to err on the aide of caution.

wise.sounds like you have enough on your plate without bad vibes getting thrown at you from them.

• Personally, i think that if it makes you feel so bad, you should not do it! Life is too short to be pleasing others at your expense!

Do the garden ;)

• When I handed my notice from my work, I started to be very busy, so I could not be dragged into any crap.

I announced to everyone, that I am writing an useful manual for my replacement, and so I did. It was 45 pages long (but had a lot of pictures), I've explained basically step by step how to do my job, baced on the notes I received when I started and some drawings made for me by my supervisor to explain some stuff.

eVyGGbG.jpg

But...

there was a twist. I gave ALL information. So, for example, when I was writing about how to do your time sheets, I wrote things like "if you are not paid on time, report to X, the office manager. She might blame you for filling your time sheets wrong, as this is what she usually does - I witnessed this at least 10 times during my time here when someone has not been paid on Friday. When you send her copies to prove, you did nothing wrong, she will blame a computer system and tell you you have to wait till next week.

If you have bills to pay then it will be completely understandable, that you might not be willing to wait. You have to try to explain it to her and, if necessary, escalate to management. You will then be paid instantly, although you might have to sit through some ridiculous meeting where your attitude will be discussed - don't worry, it's only a theatre, so the management shows her, that their treat her complaints seriously".

So, basically, I wrote as it happened, so they could do nothing. The trick was that while the manager knew, that I know that this meeting is simply for benefit of hers, so she does not feel that she had to back off from her position when they told her to pay me instantly, she did not :)

My manual for new employee contained not only technical information, but was also full of such cheeky advice on office politics and so on, so, from I know, while it became extremely popular, and has been circulated amongst the staff, for some reason it was not issued to the person who replaced me.

From what I know, the management also was not too happy with my choice of clip arts to illustrate it. They seemed also not to happy after seeing my flowcharts, I have no idea why - they were perfect, I had one at my desk and worked by this every day:
    tkzgBrk.jpg

Anyway, I had so much fun when writing this, and did not wanted it to go to waste, so, having been able to foresee that it might be prevented to reach hands of the person intended, I had printed a copy and hid it in the deepest corner of the drawer at my desk :D

From what I know, she left that job after just three weeks... :P

Writing that felt soooo good.

EDIT: I just wondered if I still have it and I've found it in my e-mails. I browsed it, and I found, that one chapter was on Spanish Inquisition. Why? Because nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition. That's f*ckin why! :)

Heh, I am so proud of myself now :D :D :D

• :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• That's brilliant, orys!

• You have resigned. You are free. What can they do to you now?

Any crap that comes your way, just kill them with kind words and laughter at the thought of them being stuck in that environment whilst you soar free.

Good luck with the future.

• I find that in life, a massive cheese eating grin usually winds these people up more and more...

So as junkymayle says just spend the remaining notice period F**king people of with your cheery disposition and how much your looking forward to your new life...

• ha ha thats what i thought too.All the awful clique of the place i slaved at, are still treading the same stuff in the same back stabbing little gang bickering and bitching as they are so unhappy there.I am now utterly broke with no soft pension.. if i survive that long..but i am sat skint under a tree, my hound dozing in the sun.Would i trade places?:DLife is very brief for all of us and my soul is happier here.I just know it remains the same there.The most exciting happening being an affair conducted in the office supplies room.I saw a fawn born.:DEach to his own.

• Yep, you guys are all correct - it would probably annoy them more than anything else. It might unsettle them a bit too as people tend to leave quite angry and stressed. Plus I really shouldn't let myself be dragged down to their level.

I can't wait for May, it's going to be glorious ?

• Yep, you guys are all correct - it would probably annoy them more than anything else. It might unsettle them a bit too as people tend to leave quite angry and stressed. Plus I really shouldn't let myself be dragged down to their level.

I can't wait for May, it's going to be glorious ?

If you have been treated badly get some postcards from various wonderful exotic places and send them once in a while,via a friend abroad ,get the stamps right^^.May not affect them much but may make you feel better.It is truly awful getting picked on at work when you rely on it for a living.Time for exciting plans:happydanc

• If you have been treated badly get some postcards from various wonderful exotic places and send them once in a while,via a friend abroad ,get the stamps right^^.May not affect them much but may make you feel better.It is truly awful getting picked on at work when you rely on it for a living.Time for exciting plans:happydanc

Why? They arent worth the effort. Move on, fuckem.

OP, you say you were/are a director.

Just to clarify, is that a director of the company or like a film director?

If the first, i would be extra vigilant about making sure your resignation is correctly registered.

• Why? They arent worth the effort. Move on, fuckem.

OP, you say you were/are a director.

Just to clarify, is that a director of the company or like a film director?

If the first, i would be extra vigilant about making sure your resignation is correctly registered.

Do you mean make sure the resignation has been acknowledged? Sorry, I'm feeling a little hungover and dim today. I've had a response to the resignation and I printed dated copies just incase there was any dispute but it seems to have been accepted. Yep, company director (non-exec), I didn't have any links with company finances.