Fishing danger.

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• When you are young, you think you can live for ever and don’t listen to anyone.

The time I think I could have died as a kid was when I went fishing, at 10 yrs old, with one of my neighbours who was the same age.

We went down a step river bank and one girl in our village told us not to go fishing as there was heavy rains forecast. We told her to shut up as what did girls know and went anyway. But she was right, it rained so heavy and the banks of the river turned to liquid and we struggled to get up. She got help though, from her brother and they managed to save us, with a rope, to get back up. We both lost our fishing kits, as they washed away and we were brown from head to foot.

Bang went any fishing for that Summer, but our moms were glad she had more brains than the pair of us put together!

• When you are young, you think you can live for ever and don’t listen to anyone.

The time I think I could have died as a kid was when I went fishing, at 10 yrs old, with one of my neighbours who was the same age.

We went down a step river bank and one girl in our village told us not to go fishing as there was heavy rains forecast. We told her to shut up as what did girls know and went anyway. But she was right, it rained so heavy and the banks of the river turned to liquid and we struggled to get up. She got help though, from her brother and they managed to save us, with a rope, to get back up. We both lost our fishing kits, as they washed away and we were brown from head to foot.

Bang went any fishing for that Summer, but our moms were glad she had more brains than the pair of us put together!

Never underestimate the intelligence of the ladies my friend :lollol:

• I nearly got washed away when fishing in a fast flowing river in my waders. I slipped in off the bank. The water wasn’t overly deep, but the waders filled up with river water instantly and the weight of them just pulled me further into the fast flowing river. Freaked me right out. I sometimes still wear waders for river work and fishing, but now I never attach them to my trouser belt, just incase.

• Aged about nine years I fell through the ice on a local pond, fully winter dressed including a heavy duffel coat. I can remember going down quite deep but being lucky enough to swim up to the same spot of thin ice. This was before I was officially taught to swim. Toby Trux.

• Aged about nine years I fell through the ice on a local pond, fully winter dressed including a heavy duffel coat. I can remember going down quite deep but being lucky enough to swim up to the same spot of thin ice. This was before I was officially taught to swim. Toby Trux.

Wow, now that is truly scary and I'm glad you are still here to tell the tale and you can guess that could have gone the other way.

Like something out of the Omen 2!

Glad you have learnt how to swim.

• When I was really young my dad would take me poaching trout out of the Manor pond outflow stream, (I was the lookout) It was a old stone arched tunnel that went under the main road just down from the Manor house main entrance gates. Where the stream then dropped into a stone lined pond from the arched waterfall.

Some years later. I went with my older brother to the same spot my dad had shown me. We were handlining for the trout lazying about in the pool afoot the waterfall. I had to leap over large wet stepping stones to get to the best fishing spotin the middle of the waterfall. I also caught the only trout of the day along with a load of bullheads and was going to be so chuffed (proud) presenting this trout to my dad for his tea.

Fearing getting caught poaching, my brother told me to run, but my prize catch, the trout was on the far bank of the waterfall and in my haste to get away with my trout without getting caught, I misplaced my foot on the wet stepping stones and in and under I went. Such a frigging commotion with the noise of my splash alerting the Manor House occupants.

My brother, by now was we’ll off into the woods, had to turn back and come pull me out of danger. I kept hold of my trout through all of this ordeal. Laterstopping in the woods to wring out my soaking clothes, before the short walk back home. I knew I was busted. So I decided to come clean with my dad and tell him all about it. Not only where I had been ( his secret poaching spot) but that I had nearly drowned myself. He gave me a good hiding, not for poaching and nearly getting caught, but for taking risks with my safety. He still eat the trout. But all my pride fell away with the sting of sore legs and embarrassment.

• When I was really young my dad would take me poaching trout out of the Manor pond outflow stream, (I was the lookout) It was a old stone arched tunnel that went under the main road just down from the Manor house main entrance gates. Where the stream then dropped into a stone lined pond from the arched waterfall.

Some years later. I went with my older brother to the same spot my dad had shown me. We were handlining for the trout lazying about in the pool afoot the waterfall. I had to leap over large wet stepping stones to get to the best fishing spotin the middle of the waterfall. I also caught the only trout of the day along with a load of bullheads and was going to be so chuffed (proud) presenting this trout to my dad for his tea.

Fearing getting caught poaching, my brother told me to run, but my prize catch, the trout was on the far bank of the waterfall and in my haste to get away with my trout without getting caught, I misplaced my foot on the wet stepping stones and in and under I went. Such a frigging commotion with the noise of my splash alerting the Manor House occupants.

My brother, by now was we’ll off into the woods, had to turn back and come pull me out of danger. I kept hold of my trout through all of this ordeal. Laterstopping in the woods to wring out my soaking clothes, before the short walk back home. I knew I was busted. So I decided to come clean with my dad and tell him all about it. Not only where I had been ( his secret poaching spot) but that I had nearly drowned myself. He gave me a good hiding, not for poaching and nearly getting caught, but for taking risks with my safety. He still eat the trout. But all my pride fell away with the sting of sore legs and embarrassment.

You had some real adventures with your dad, he taught your right from nearly wrong!

• Don't underestimate the sea. When my lads were young I was walking with them along the top of some volcanic rocks near the beach in Tenerife, a freak wave came over the dry rocks and would have pulled them both in if I hadn't got a good grip on both their arms in time. Totally my fault, I had no idea a freak wave could appear like that. I felt their weight as their legs were swept out from under them. That was scary, at the time I was physically very strong, that helped a lot, but it scared me.

• Don't underestimate the sea. When my lads were young I was walking with them along the top of some volcanic rocks near the beach in Tenerife, a freak wave came over the dry rocks and would have pulled them both in if I hadn't got a good grip on both their arms in time. Totally my fault, I had no idea a freak wave could appear like that. I felt their weight as their legs were swept out from under them. That was scary, at the time I was physically very strong, that helped a lot, but it scared me.

Never underestimate the power of the sea! Beautiful to watch and listen to, but treat it with respect at all times. Must've been a worrying experience, glad it ended well for you all.