1. I closed and eventually removed the thread about the fox being fed a plant-based diet, because it was getting out of hand and people were resorting to insults and vitriol.
2. I never banned anyone for posting in that thread and I never banned anyone for their opinions; I closed it with a warning to "leave me alone", because I was sick and tired of dealing with the escalating insults.
3. So I asked people to let it go and some didn't - the 3 people who got temporarily banned were the ones who decided to continue the argument in other parts of the site -- when I deleted the insults I was accused of restricting "freedom of speech".
4. All of the bans were short - the only one made permanent was a member who tried to circumvent the ban by using an alternative account - and even then I have only perma-banned the alternative account as using an alias has always been against the rules.
5. As always anything mean spirited like that gets deleted, and as such I open myself up for the rumour mill, with people trying to make out how they were actually wronged by me - it's been this way for years.
6. Someone else decided to create a breakaway forum; this was reported to me and I banned them for spamming - I turned off the messaging facility for a while, but thought about it and changed my mind. (for the record I cannot access private messages unless they are reported to me)
7. At first I was like "Oh no, everyone will leave, it'll kill the site, blah blah!" However, having given it some thought I'm not too bothered and it isn't really a threat, and so feel free to knock yourselves out.
I'm quite disappointed that a few unconnected people are using this to personally attack me; but if you wish to join them knock yourselves out. I know who you are.
7. If ukhippy.com is meant to survive it will - and if it's meant to die it will. But whatever happens, this website will close before I allow it to be a platform for insults, abuse and threats.
8. Before you start a fight with me or accuse me of restricting your freedom of speech, consider my normal moderating style and ask yourself why that may be.