Judged for being childless

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• It is wrong to pick out individual traits of human beings during the capitalist era and fatalistically assume it is the human condition.

Not so. We can pick out plenty of unpleasant human traits during the communist era, both in China and in Eastern Europe and the Soviet Union, and find they are exactly the same as under capitalism. We can look at history as far back as we like to go, and we find that negative traits often brought about the fall of previous societies and civilisations.

Whether we like it or not, it is the human condition here. This is probably because this is a place where beings in many stages of development, and with many different traits of behavior, come to learn through experience. It is therefore inevitable that all our worst human traits will be present, as well as our best ones, complete with everything in between.

• I reckon yous are taking me the wrong way on this occasion.

BHD: I did enjoy being in your very beautiful woodland and enjoyed the company btw.

I have expressed the sentiment of if you can't beat them then join them.....(ie....it is what it is and if you can acquire or have aquired a land holding then why not....I would probably do the same).

I'm not trying to strip people of their rights or enjoyment of their land or home.

I am implying that land has essentially been stolen from common ownership by powerful exploiters and that I can see no continuing justification for that.

You can take it as some kind of insult if you want. But it isn't one.

As you say....it is better that one of yous own it rather than one of them....shame you can't live there (respectfully) should you wish.

• The human condition does not have to be negatively fatalistic throughout the expanse of time and evolution. Whilst I suspect that it will be so there are other factors to consider. I don't need to repeat Maxals post.....humans are capable of evolving and change is possible. A failure at one point in history does not guarantee failure at another point in time.

• The argument that the Hoi polloi cannot be trusted with land is an old and supremacist excuse that perpetuates the self justifications of some nasty capitalists....I don't buy it. And I don't for a single minute believe that you do either.

Are you crazy?

I could take you to hundreds of places where folk have front & back gardens, enough to plant vegetables and to look pretty, and they treat it like a fucking dump!

NOBODY CARES!!!

• I agree they are despicable!

A small percentage are capable, but the majority are usurpers; and they whine and moan their way through it because it's THEIR right to use and abuse everything the Earth offers!

I'm guessing you walk or cycle your way to your greek island job?None of us are perfect examples of the human race,including yourself.

• I get so pissed off hearing over and over again from several sources opinions like this.If you want it get off your ass and get it.I worked 24/7 365 days a year for over a decade ,Then I was determined and got a patch of mud...clearfelled wood.I planted and waited and battled to keep it.Now it is a lovely

wood people want off me.I get.."arnt you lucky.""..wow."..like I have been given it all.I never drank smoke or went out and the growing took 16 years.Get off your ass and get it to all who look at land others have strived for,as usually it is very hard won indeed.No pain,no gain.

• I get so pissed off hearing over and over again from several sources opinions like this.If you want it get off your ass and get it.I worked 24/7 365 days a year for over a decade ,Then I was determined and got a patch of mud...clearfelled wood.I planted and waited and battled to keep it.Now it is a lovely

wood people want off me.I get.."arnt you lucky.""..wow."..like I have been given it all.I never drank smoke or went out and the growing took 16 years.Get off your ass and get it to all who look at land others have strived for,as usually it is very hard won indeed.No pain,no gain.

Its not all hard won.

I understand your post in its entirety and can definitely empathise.

I'm pissed off with folk taking my posts on this matter personally when it is patently and obliquely obvious that I am referring to the arrogant and obnoxious ownership of massive tracts of land that has been stolen from ordinary folk.

I'm sorry that you all can't get your head round this and deem some kind of personal affront from my posts on this matter.

Do get over it.

I'm not going to shut up just because some people are overly sensitive about their right to a smallholding!

• zendaze I for one have felt from your posts that you are referring to “all landowners and Land.” (Ownership is theft) !!! That’s why I personally find it judgmental if not hypocritical and a personal attack, even if you hadn’t intended it that way. There’s never been a clear distinction in any of your posts when referring to Land ownership.

Just what “owners” then are guilty? Those who build dams in valleys? Golf courses? Farmers? Just “who” gets to steal vast tracts of land without going through the market process and making payment for it? Other than The MOD? Local Authorities? Big corporations etc?

I get the resentment to extremely rich Land owning gentry who have inherited large estates etc. But that was stolen/gifted/bought/won many many moons ago and simply wouldn’t be achievable in the UK these days. Do you have a few examples? because I feel it may be far fewer in numbers than you imagine.

• I don't consider that I should further exhaust myself by researching and attempting to provide definitive examples that you will then argue ad infinitum until I give up and go to bed.

Being an economic slave is exhausting enough hence my reasons for not attempting to bring offspring into the world.

You can be as pedantic as you like....it is your perogative.

You are fully aware of the general sense of land ownership to which I refer and you are not interested in the contrary argument that I will present.

Keep on fighting the good fight.

• You are fully aware of the general sense of land ownership to which I refer and you are not interested in the contrary argument that I will present.

zendaze, honestly up and until a few posts ago, when a hippy mentioned you had parked up for a weekend on land “he” actually owns and crickets post. You had not made a clear distinction between land owners. The land in abundance you keep referring to, which should be shared out, land which is owned by the undeserving and stolen land.

I couldn’t drive you around the UK and show you any land that I would be confident in saying it hadn’t been bought legitimately, inherited, gifted or in Trust. I’m not wanting to waste your or my time.

25Years ago my neighbouring landowner told me over the fence, “peasants like me shouldn’t be allowed to own land” so I do take such comments personally.

• Post by Maxal ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves ().
  • Post by Maxal ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves ().
  • Maxal, I would have thought it obvious that my 'Not so' was in reply to the subject of your quote, in the quote box above my 'Not so'. This bit:

"It is wrong to pick out individual traits of human beings during the capitalist era and fatalistically assume it is the human condition".

We are not picking out human traits just during this capitalist era; we can pick out individual traits during any era and use them to define the cause of the human condition. I use the phrase 'human condition' not in your somewhat stilted, sociological sense, but in its more philosophical sense. The human condition is that condition which affects, and is recognised as affecting, humanity as a whole. It covers the behaviour and the way of life of the majority of humans here, both physical and mental. It also covers both cause and effect of that way of life.

Looking at the human condition, throughout our brief recorded history, we see a sad and dreadful story. The way we have forever warred amongst ourselves, and the way we have plundered the planet, has been pitiful. The condition of life for the great majority of people, up to less than 100 years ago, has been that of actual or economic slavery. And there are many in high places today that would force us back to that condition, which serves them well, as it has done throughout the ages. As a whole, the human condition has rarely been a happy one.

Have individual traits caused this state, this everlasting human condition?

For the most part, they have. Take away the worst traits of humanity, and most people get along quite well together, so long as they do not have to fight each other for survival.

• OH and I are childless by both choice and medical necessity.

We own about 3/4 acre of land, with a decent sized dwelling on it and I planted several hundred trees and shrubs a couple of decades ago (just before we moved out here we gave refuge to a couple of friends who were about to become homeless).

We have a good lifestyle, but were frequently asked about producing brats for many years.