TOILET OPTIONS FOR VAN...

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Been looking online for porta-potty options...

My toilet/shower combo will be posituoned behnd the drivers seat... I don't want to cut an access hole into the side of the van for stealth reasons.. I was thinkinng the only way would be a porta potty in my shower room...? But this could be a little disastrous.

Anyone know of any solution without wanting to use a typical cassette / access.

Only way would be to put the shower / toilet room to the back of the van and face the cassette to the back door but I want to take full advantage of the double open doors.

• Most cassette toilet doors are no more obvious as toilet equipment as battery lockers on vans are.They dont normally have Thetford in massive letters on the door.

If its on the offside no one will notice in this country and abroad I doubt anyone will care.

You can get porta-potty/ shower combos specifically to store and use the toilet in the shower area to save space...theyve been around for years.

Thetford also make (or made) a shower compartment in which a flush toilet is integral part of the shower cubicle.

Have a wander around caravan or motorhome sales sites and have a nosey at the options if youre set on having a shower compartment.

Theres also a modern stylish dry composting loo for campers available now,I saw one in an ad on Instagram the other day.

Di occhi belli ne è pieno il mondo,ma di occhi che ti guardano con sincerità e amore, c'è ne sono pochi. :hippy:

• That's almost a perfect photo of my karzy! Although I have the delux version that comes with the optional extra black plastic jerry can.

Generally speaking, with this kind of set up, there are 2 options. : First option, if you are in a built up area, then, there are likely to be public toilets within walking distance.

Second option, If you are not in a built up area, then use of the spade is generally favoured.

Granted this method does have certain drawbacks such as a degree of forward planning is often required, but personally I think the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

• Second option, If you are not in a built up area, then use of the spade is generally favoured.

Granted this method does have certain drawbacks such as a degree of forward planning is often required, but personally I think the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

There is a third method that can be employed if you dont have time for the second - carrier bag...

You can only accomplish your object in life by complete disregard of the opinions of other people.

• If it's good enough for the dog...

Those waterless, composting toilets start at £259. Without the extras!

That's a lot of spades, not to mention carrier bags.

Not much dearer than a normal fitted cassette toilet.

I thought you had a toilet and bidet in your van anyway..

Di occhi belli ne è pieno il mondo,ma di occhi che ti guardano con sincerità e amore, c'è ne sono pochi. :hippy:

• Not much dearer than a normal fitted cassette toilet.

I thought you had a toilet and bidet in your van anyway..

Sadly the bidet's out of action due to water cut backs.

Never had the room for a toilet, it's a space priority thing, and priority is given to other essentials. Ideally I like to have a door between toilets and living spaces.

Also all that extra weight adds up, even if it's floating weight..

• Making me think of my patchy biker mate at the bulldog bash getting his girlfriend to hold a carrier bag to his bum in their titchy tent in the morning when he had a dicky tummy and getting to the bog was not an option . Dedication in a relationshit :)

• Errrm.....you could position the door to your bathroom such that the cassette removes through the doorway....inward to the van interior.....messes with interior planning options though.

I wouldn't be without my porta potty personally....but I don't care as much for planning and building as I do for attempting to make a quick, efficient and economical transition to the next van when the time comes.

• [Carrier Bags] have holes in them, Small bin bags are the way forwards

Kettle-Chip-sized crisp packets are sturdy and hole-free too...

Quite small though, so you have to know where your bum is.

Mrk123, I like portapotties over the fitted ones because everything technical will go wrong eventually, and when the thing that's broke is full of poo, it's nice to be able to wrestle with it in fresh air rather than down the back of some pokey little space.

If you don't build in tge loo, you can also try out composting for no great outlay, then bung in a portapotti if you don't take to it.

A composting loo is really just a bucket of sawdust with a lid, that you don't wee in.

• Squatters Hinged Floor Rumble Flap. Homemade, you can’t buy them in the shop. Cut through floor matting/rug a suitable bum size hole. Cut slightly less size hole out of floor pan and weld on hinge and a spring catch to floor pan flap. Weld a retention slide at 15 degrees (ski slope) underneath the rumble flap onto vehicle chassis. This temporarily retains solids, allowing liquids to quietly drain away. During normal driving operations, deliberately drive over several potholes to clear the slide. When on site for several days, avoid using the rumble flap and make use of the ebay radar key.

• i have a ports potti in my bus. I use it if I have to at night, but only for weeing in.

I rarely need a toilet for anything else, I make full use of toilets in shops or wherever, but if I am desperate, I have newspapers and cat litter. This stops the bus from smelling and the wrapped parcel goes straight into the litter bin which I have generally parked next to.

• and have holes in them, Small bin bags are the way forwards

Yep , them and a 3 gallon bucket as a seat,bucket goes on floor by front door with feet planted on next step down and handrail to assist , I usually do this with the curtains up :)

On a side note , I only got a 'smart' phone about 2 years ago, soon realised how much data costs so dont use it much now, but back then i had mobile interwap turned on and google maps, well I recently checked out something on google somewhere and found a record of the location and the time I was using it , there was a strange dog leg on the map from parked location , into woods and back again , had to chuckle when I realised that google has 'logged' (couldnt resist the pun) me taking my spade into the woods of a morning :)

• I started with a porti potti thing and got rid of it after a couple of weeks, it stinks and leaked blue liquid out of it. It got dumped some place

I've managed fine with public toilets and shops, I have a bucket and small bin bags for emergencies. If I'm out in the country I do a good impression of the pope.