What temperature are you?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• im North East England, and it is pretty wild here. I had to dig out a path through about a metre of snow so that I could get the dogs out. They are loving it, so not a problem when I let them off in the field.

Lots of warnings from the police to stay at home, don't go to work unless you're a snow plough/gritter driver, and asking for help from folk with 4x4s to get vital NHS staff to work.

My son's employers have told him to get into work - I'm glad to say he has ignored them - but that's the mentality of employers, and the reason there are still people driving and having/causing accidents.

• New little generator just packed up:(was just getting into a western on the TV, sounded muffled and used 4 hours worth of fuel in an hour now won't restart being a suitcase job I thought if it started it would be ok in the cold but no,it could be a temporary problem because of the cold or I could have killed it...

• Walked half-way into town today in a bit of a snow storm, then along came the bus about 15 minutes late. I waved it down and flashed my out-of-date old-folks bus pass at the driver, who was Polish and didn't give a fug, and waved me inside. Different to some of the jobsworths you get on the buses sometimes.

Just a few little snow squalls here today, and too windy for it to stay in one place for long - some paths are clear and some are drifted up a bit, depends how they lie to the wind.

The wind is evil. One side of our flat faces due East, and the strong wind blows through every little crack in the recently-replaced-by-the-council double glazing. I'm sure it's worse than the 20-year-old stuff they took out.

It also blows through the kitchen fan, which has a thick plastic bag strapped around it at present, and through the bathroom fan, which is captive under a plastic tub rammed into place. These two fan openings would freeze the place up within an hour or so of the heating going off if they weren't covered. Even with the coverings, the kitchen was down to 7 C first thing this morning.

Down to about -4 C outside tonight, but feels much worse in the wind, which is howling in the chimney. Got back too late to light the fire tonight, so not that warm at around 16 C with the heating on (slow to warm up).

Hope all you folks in vans and boats are keeping warm, it's the coldest wind I've known in many years, I think. How vanwoman manages without heating I don't know.!

• Is your air filter iced up? Used to happen to mine so i stuck it somewhere sheltered and put a wheelbarrow upside down on top of it sheltering carb end and ran fine.

Brought it in checked it over including the air filter can't see anything,it ran for 30mins or so then stopped fuel was lower than it should have been,have had it in the warm with me for a few hours tried again no joy, I'm wondering if the oil didn't thin fast enough and the rings are gone but it doesn't sound rattly,I will check for a spark tomorrow but very fiddly to do,still under guarantee from screwfix.

• The last time I was out about 6 pm the snow was level with my bottom step, about 8 or 9 inch deep. I haven't been out since but it's -6 here and hasn't stopped snowing. The house the other side of the glen has its outside light on n sometimes I can see it and sometimes not.

The big problem here will be the wind, the snow is what they call champagne powder. You don't get that kind of snow in Scotland!!!!

It is a dry powder snow that hasn't been thru a thaw freeze cycle as the temp hasn't been high enough, this means for the average joe, it's going to drift with very little wind.

For me it means, I really shouldn't be up the hills tomorrow. What is happening is I will leave instructions with the dogs and go for it Anyway. The dogs know how the burner works and where there food is. They have also had fire extinguisher training

For me it means it's an unstable snow pack, solid base With frozen rain then deep powder. The frozen rain acts like ball bearings, it's the round snow balls that's snow not hail.

The problem is, I would rather be tHe knob that dies doing it than the knob that never tried, after all it's a once in a lifetime chance. That's a long time to regret not doing it.

• there's two fairly narly looking noth faces that look rideable, I've seen them many times in my life, I've walked up them to ride the east and south elevations. I've never seen the north faces rideable. If I'm not back on here by 8pm tomorrow night tell my kids I love them.

I'm not funing or joking, I'm going light as I've got my snowboarding kit to carry. That means no food, tent or any survival gear. A 25l rucksack with a bit of cake and a couple of chocolate bars, board and ice axes, a compRession bandage in case of sprains or to use To tie my walking stick as a splint but that's it.

Folk local (an hour away)to me will get a text in the morning saying where I'm going and when I will make contact again. By the time anyone gets here the dogs will be hungry but that's it.

Edit, after re reading this post I just want to clarify I'm not suicidal and have every intention of coming back to annoy you

• It's probably les dangerous than going out on my bike in summer n thinking I'm a road racer8o

I've got every intention of being here on Saturday annoying everyone.

Just a moment of clarity type thing, good luck with the genny. It's probably just frozen and will be ok as long as it's not the oil that's froze

• Have fun Pyke , you have to grab conditions when you can ,and if you are confident with your abilities go for it .Just have a mind for avalanches with all this stuff blowing around , there will be a lot of unstable bits

My mission tomorrow is to check the sheep up the road are ok and get my wonky £10 banked.

• Brought it in checked it over including the air filter can't see anything,it ran for 30mins or so then stopped fuel was lower than it should have been,have had it in the warm with me for a few hours tried again no joy, I'm wondering if the oil didn't thin fast enough and the rings are gone but it doesn't sound rattly,I will check for a spark tomorrow but very fiddly to do,still under guarantee from screwfix.

Ive had that a few times when.its bitter cold the petrol doesnt seem to vaporise fast enough.Also when the petrol is vaporising it makes the carb colder.Having the wheelbarrow over it and its drawing in some warm exhaust air seemed to cure it.

Also the spark plugs seem to need cleaning with a wire brush regularly.Next one i buy will be a diesel.

• Have fun Pyke , you have to grab conditions when you can ,and if you are confident with your abilities go for it .Just have a mind for avalanches with all this stuff blowing around , there will be a lot of unstable bits

My mission tomorrow is to check the sheep up the road are ok and get my wonky £10 banked.

im not checking the avalanche info, it's not in my favour. I know this

My plan is to skiRt up the wind blown ridges, drop in of the cornice and get out of the way quick. After that have a look of what's left, pick a line down and go for it. I know I can ride top to bottom in powder, that's not an issue.

Snow shoe up, ride down. Just made sheaths for my axes out of water pipe so no danger of them stabbing into me.

I can't make this safe but I can't resist it, as a climber you know what I'm saying

• there's two fairly narly looking noth faces that look rideable, I've seen them many times in my life, I've walked up them to ride the east and south elevations. I've never seen the north faces rideable. If I'm not back on here by 8pm tomorrow night tell my kids I love them.

I'm not funing or joking, I'm going light as I've got my snowboarding kit to carry. That means no food, tent or any survival gear. A 25l rucksack with a bit of cake and a couple of chocolate bars, board and ice axes, a compRession bandage in case of sprains or to use To tie my walking stick as a splint but that's it.

Folk local (an hour away)to me will get a text in the morning saying where I'm going and when I will make contact again. By the time anyone gets here the dogs will be hungry but that's it.

Edit, after re reading this post I just want to clarify I'm not suicidal and have every intention of coming back to annoy you

IF youve still a network signal text your last gps location to someone,it will help with recovering your body:D

Have fun :thumbup:

• Nomadic the deer can have my body, once I've left it I've no more use for it.

Ma, IVe seen loads of avalanches over the years and lots more debris from them.

Snowshoe Ing thru the forms in 2010 I had 20m visibility and could hear one coming, shrugged my shoulders and kept on walking. At that visibility what else could I do.

I've triggered avalanches in the white month hills(that's got you googling) ride to the side or hold on is the rule!

Tomorrow is different, there's never been these snow conditions before.

I've got two choices if I trigger an avalanche, point downhill and try and out run it or try to get out of its way by going to the side. My other option Is get caught up in it. Buried in snow, no idea what way is up, suffocating within 12 minutes, freezing my body and getting found in April by some poor walker. At least that way I can still have an open coffin, found in August not so nice.

Look I know the risks, yes I'm afraid. It's human nature to be afraid when having to deal with scary Shit. What worries me more than when and if They find my bodie is the dogs. They will be found by mountain rescue tomorrow night at about 9 pm and feed.

Where they going to live, who's going to feed them pulled pork if I'm gone?

• I know what your saying, but avalanches do happen in the UK, I was on the Ben when 4 I think it was carped it in 98? and they were with a guide who was also MRT , and its not a good way to die .

Stay safe Pyke,

better way to die than in your sleep fae co2

Which Ben? There's a lot round here

Think it's Macdui or lubeg tomorrow

Edit, sorry lui

• , Did not make rope management easy! Best bit was we were camping up near the CIC hut , and when we got to the top of the route in the dark we dropped back to Fort William to get beer before going back to our tents . Not fit enough these days for those sort of escapedes . Only when we got back to Essex did we find out about the deaths

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/1070588.stm