Who needs Electricity?.... if i was Prime Minister?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I am so happy and excited ?

Tonight, the village had no electricity from just before 6pm till now.

5hrs without the internet and the television blaring in the background, made an amazing night of conversation.

I visited old friends, and we talked liked never before!

Lounging by candlelight, having a tipple or two, for me, this was brilliant ?

If i was the Prime Minister, i would turn off the electricity for two odd days in the week all over the UK......

............ to bring back conversation, and save some energy.

• Not everyone has da internetz or a tv and simply like to sit round table and eat / chat chillout but like having benefit of electrickery for fridges freezers cooking heating lighting etc etc...they may not agree with compulsory cave life I dont think.

• No that really isn't the reality.

People growing light sensitive plants rely on a constant light cycle or their well, grown, loved plants, could with a fucked up light cycle turn into ladyboys leading to a load of seed ridden shit.

Too have a generator running for a particular, plants flowering cycle is neither a realistic or stealthy option for somene growing a couple plants for themselves

People growing light sensitive plants rely on a constant light cycle or their well, grown, loved plants, could with a fucked up light cycle turn into ladyboys leading to a load of seed ridden shit.

Too have a generator running for a particular, plants flowering cycle is neither a realistic or stealthy option for somene growing a couple plants for themselves

Havent yoi found an empty council flat to grow your weed in yet?

People growing light sensitive plants rely on a constant light cycle or their well, grown loved plants that with a fucked up light cycle could turn into ladyboys leading to a load of seed ridden shit.

Nonsense!

If you germinate the correct seed you have a cetain time for correction!

Even in the wild, you have situations out of your control!

Ladyboys occur when you're a lazy fucker; you nip them in the bud as quick as you see them!

• Nonsense!

Ladyboys occur when you're a lazy fucker; you nip them in the bud as quick as you see them!

Plenty of strains are sensitive to turn into hermaphrodites.

Yes you nip them in the bud , but improper light cycles, light Leaks etc are what leads to hermies along with bad genetics .

• NomadicRT

You're right, of course. But we can cook, heat, and light without electricity?

'They' might not agree with compulsory cave life, but some might?

Some people agree with things i think are hellish............

We can do without electrickery yes,i used to have gas lights and oil cooker and keep my chilled stuff in a half buried milk churn...The only reason i had a radio was for the shipping forecast and the phone was in a box 2 miles down the road.

I quite liked it that way but now we've the technology i like having that too..but i can live without it or limit my time relying on it.

The problem isnt the technology,its people and their general laziness and how they acquiesce to complete reliance on it...their entire life grinds to a halt if the network cuts off or power goes off.

Everyone maybe should have a spell of living in the Hebrides in winter,then they may stop taking things for granted and realise life exists outside of the tv and computer/phone screen.:/

• Post by likahamadoolihan ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves ().
  • Nonsense!

That is bollocks . Fucking with a plants light cycle will cause nothing but trouble and seeds(so I am told :saint: ) . Google is your friend on matters like this. Running a generater to light a grow , thats an interesting concept,wonder what the neighbours would say to a generater running 12 hours through the night ?

• “hey neighbour man, can you plug in my lead, I’ll bung you some petrol and you’ll avoid a shit load of my pollen”

back towards the topic, in the power cut scenario I guess there will be a run on generaters and queues of peeps cluttering forecourts with their fuel cans on the eve of the shutdowns , problem for a serious horticulturist is that you need a fair sized genny , I would not be happy trying to run a 600w HDS lamp,water pump and extracter fan/filter from a suitcase sized genny (thing would be on full load for 12 hours assuming it could fire up the ballast )so would be heading towards 3 kw diesal.

Sticking with the scenario of everyone using gennys on the power cut days then some kind of mutual genny curfew may appear (same as on the cut), which further scuppers things .....

• I’ve got a 6KVA diesel silent geni with 800 hours on the clock. Made for continuos use. I estimate it’s adequate for running 1 to 3 domestic properties on a sensitive regime.

Out in the Flatlands we are exposed to extreme winds, this contributes to serveral power cuts a year. Longest this year so far 1 hour 28 minutes.

• I don't think it would be good for an over crowded country to start having power cuts, I seem to remember the last time they had prolonged power cuts there was a baby boom .

I once got 2 massive generators from a barn that had burnt down as scrap ., all was left were the generators , and a load of funny looking light fittings hanging from the roof . The old guy that owned the barn looked like butter would not melt in his mouth , he said he hadn't called the fire brigade as the fire was out of control by the time he realised . Very public spiirited , not to waste emergency services time !