Van sellers charging VAT?!

• What's that all about?

Every man and his dog seems to be charging 'VAT', yeah right they are going to pass that onto the government fraudsters!?

Any experience out there?

• If the vehicle was owned by a business and they claimed the vat back then the next buyer has to pay it. Proving it hasnt already been paid may be more difficult.

Ultimately, whether they are passing it on or not isn't really the issue.

Work out the total price, if its more than you are prepared to pay then don't buy it..

You can only accomplish your object in life by complete disregard of the opinions of other people.

• you have to be registered for VAT to charge or claim it back.

Not every business is. The turnover threshold for VAT registration is £85,000. Making less than that it's voluntary.

No VAT registration number, the business can't charge it.

• If someone charges you VAT they must provide you with a VAT number. If they then don't declare that to the revenue, they're in trouble.
    The VAT man isn't someone you want to piss off I learned from experience.
    The seller has to assume you, the buyer, might claim that VAT back (Assuming you were VAT registered) so by not declaring it, they'd be making themselves liable to fines/prosecution.

• A harsh lesson in life :-)
    The revenue work by their own rules. When they've got you in their sights, it quickly turns ugly.
    I've seen seasoned accountants shocked by some of their tactics. I was put on £100 per day fines for not submitting a return from 8 years previous! When I submitted it, it turned out they owed me money from that particular year, so they refused to process it claiming it was submitted too late!!!

• you have to be registered for VAT to charge or claim it back.

Not every business is. The turnover threshold for VAT registration is £85,000. Making less than that it's voluntary.

No VAT registration number, the business can't charge it.

Yep, so ALWAYS ask for a VAT NUMBER and RCEIPT.... Going to look at a van tomorrow and the guy has not put VAT on (well if he has he has not put it in listing and just on the price).

• Yep, so ALWAYS ask for a VAT NUMBER and RCEIPT.... Going to look at a van tomorrow and the guy has not put VAT on (well if he has he has not put it in listing and just on the price).

Youre missing the point. If he is entitled to charge it or if he isnt then he isn't going to drop it if you question it. If hes sneakily put it on the price youll never know, if hes entitled to charge it then it will say plus vat as it makes it look a cheaper van.

If its more than you want to pay then dont buy it.

You can only accomplish your object in life by complete disregard of the opinions of other people.

• Youre missing the point. If he is entitled to charge it or if he isnt then he isn't going to drop it if you question it. If hes sneakily put it on the price youll never know, if hes entitled to charge it then it will say plus vat as it makes it look a cheaper van.

If its more than you want to pay then dont buy it.

Yeah exactly... Well after looking around and getting to know what the prices are for certain mileages I am more than happy with the price.. Viewing tomorrow.

• Most traders will probo be in the vat threasholds as each 2nd hand van can be from 1000 up to 14 grand so as a business there its a nightmare for them dealing with comercials as most businesses will be vat reg that involve a van and quite a few wont be so it l be easier for a trader to pass the vat on so it will go against there tax bill at end of year or there losing that money back.

My van was a reasonable find it was from a dealer but there was no vat as it had been a sparkys who had had it from new and he wasn't vat reg so he was prepared to loose the vat and it was paid off meaning I bought the van free of vat.

Van traders will on the whole be vat reg whereas car dealers can trade up to 80 k without and trouble with vat as theres less or no vat on 2nd hand cars.