Where Is Good To Live

• Where, oh, where in the UK is a good place to move to with my three children? Somewhere where schools are good (I can't afford private schooling though), the community is welcoming to people from different backgrounds and where people are friendly and alternative thinking?

Do you like where you live and why? Is there a directory of hippy or hippy-friendly UK villages or neighbourhoods?

Please help a mama find her next place to call home.

Love and gratitude.

• Post by Snowdroppyin ().

This post was deleted by Paul: Roamer ().
  • Quite a few hippy and arty folk down in the southwest. Devon appears to be quite popular as does the the glastonbury area of somerset.

However this is just heresay from me as I live in France. xx

• Glastonbury,been there loads of times.Really nice relaxed vibe.Would consider moving there myself if I did'nt have other plans.

Totnes:Visited once,as people kept telling me how alternative it is.Did'nt see anything particularly alternative,maybe it had changed?

Hebden Bridge:Never been but have heard its quite alternative.

Bristol:Has a nice vibe,and is a forward thinking type city.

Frome:Visit quite often,nice community vibe,and looks like an overspill from Glastonbury (in a nice way)

• Parrotandcrow, I too live in the north east of England... been here ten years and it's lovely in many ways but I'm tired of standing out. It's getting more and more difficult as my kids grow up.

My heart's in Scotland really - I'd love to move somewhere there which is welcoming, though I heard village communities can be a bit unfriendly to newcomers, especially non-Scottish new comers.

A part of me would like to move to somewhere in the south which is sunnier and warmer.

• If you want to live where theres still a community bond go live in the Outer Hebrides,its a wonderful place (providing you can tolerate the occasional 4 seasons in one day and near constant breeze wind or worse and occasional cancelled ferries due to bad weather.The days its sunny and warm the beaches are to die for as is the flora and fauna.Ive not yet found anywhere as fabulous to live,though Orkney and Shetland are pretty similar and strong communities who's members value one another...rare in the UK these days.

I know the island community of Lambay off the coast of Ireland is looking for young family members to join them too.

• Parrotandcrow, I too live in the north east of England... been here ten years and it's lovely in many ways but I'm tired of standing out. It's getting more and more difficult as my kids grow up.

My heart's in Scotland really - I'd love to move somewhere there which is welcoming, though I heard village communities can be a bit unfriendly to newcomers, especially non-Scottish new comers.

A part of me would like to move to somewhere in the south which is sunnier and warmer.

The village in Scotland that i'm from is very 'children' minded. Apparently the school is good (40yrs ago it wasn't!), and with beaches on one side and fields and woods on the other, it's a safe paradise for kids to be real kids.

When the tide goes out the harbour stinks!

A lot of English people stay here.

• members with more than five posts will not see this advert

• I have lived all over.No state school was good enough in one way or another.Everywhere has its pitfalls,good points and weirdness.A small place means you will be involved and noticed more as individuals than getting lost in a town of many.I moved once for a school only to find out it was actually crap,then we were stuck for ages again.What I found was, that no matter where you live your family heart and hearth is what keeps it all happily bound.Also to be confident and strong and let people come to you.Because we were lonely in one place I tried too hard to join in and please others by the way of social acceptance ,then was perceived as weak and was exploited,which saddened me. Any experience of being in anyplace revolves round the perception of the person/people having that experience.One mans meat is another mans poison and all.I know what I definately do NOT want.An inner city flat would kill me,I have to be in or near wilderness.Maybe start with a "no way"list?Sometimes its easier to be very definate about what you dont want.Friends and support wherever you are is very important.There have been times when a bunch of crazy strangers who do not know me,but have taken time to talk and be supportive have been invaluable in helping me hang on.Heres to UK Hippy.:)If you want central UK and alternative busy,Stroud seems good.Neighbours where you land can make or break it though.A load of hippys who can chat are at the end of a cyber link.Good luck.:)x