Cancer Want to talk about it?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Well, what happened with my friend Ben is a good example of doing it right. He is the same age as me, was in the same class at school.

Through his employer (Civil Service) he got private healthcare and that included a private annual checkup if he wanted it although he had to pay for it.

Through that Wellness Checkup they noticed his PSAs were rising year on year and that's how he was first made aware he had a problem because he had no symptoms.

It was an evolving picture over a number of years but it needn't have been cancer even then.

• Well, what happened with my friend Ben is a good example of doing it right. He is the same age as me, was in the same class at school.

Through his employer (Civil Service) he got private healthcare and that included a private annual checkup if he wanted it although he had to pay for it.

Through that Wellness Checkup they noticed his PSAs were rising year on year and that's how he was first made aware he had a problem because he had no symptoms.

It was an evolving picture over a number of years but it needn't have been cancer even then.

Most of us cannot afford to go private though.

• PSA is known to rise with age anyway,I agree early diagnosis is the key to most cancer treatments but as i pointed out earlier there have been residual doubts as to the usefulness of a national screening program,Im sure if it categorically saved lives and lots of NHS money there would be one.

On the other cynival side of the coin theres no doubt some resistance in government to providing a service on the NHS that could be paid for privately by those willing to pay.

If there wasnt already breast and smear screening programs on the NHS i doubt there would be any initiative to provide one with the current government mindset of hiving everything off to private providers.

Good health care is reserved for the worthy it seems.

• I've had cancer, thyroid at 22, diagnosed at 23 as I was too busy dealing with my ex husband's illness atvthe time than taking care of myself. This was supposed to be my ten years post treatment all clear, no more need to worry year, but they found swollen lymph nodes that needed biopsy at my final scan, thankfully no sign of recurrence, but I'm still back in the yearly cycle of checkups, once your body has gone through that it's hard to trust it fully. I'm supporting a friend who's identical twin has just been given weeks to live after thinking she had beaten lymphoma, sadly not. Some cancers you can live with for years, my grandfather has had prostate cancer for ten years and hasn't had agressive treatment for it as it's very slow growing. If mine came back I'd right it tooth and nail, but if it was a fight I couldn't win, well I'd want my last days to be good ones, not a long drawn out slow death.

• My OH is coming to terms with the fact that her dad is on his final approach. It not just about the patient, he is serene. Its the family that is stressed and soon (in my opinion) people are going to start falling out over stupid things. Its like 'the elephant in the room' nobody will actually say the words.

• My OH is coming to terms with the fact that her dad is on his final approach. It not just about the patient, he is serene. Its the family that is stressed and soon (in my opinion) people are going to start falling out over stupid things. Its like 'the elephant in the room' nobody will actually say the words.

Maybe HE needs to say the words.

Sometimes some brutal honesty from the afflicted person works wonders.

A friend of mine in the US died of breast cancer and she was quite upbeat all the way and wouldnt allow anyone to go all silent. She used to say out loud Im going to die stop pussy footing about and talk to me honestly while you still can...lets talk about my funeral!!

Death is still a taboo subject in the west for some bizarre reason.Eastern cultures are more matter of fact and accepting of what is for all of us,inevitable.

Best wishes for you and yours.

• rumpusmany - sorry to hear that. Good luck with it. Regarding your friend, people take illness differently. Be with him and at the same time maybe some strength can be had from understanding.

Keep in contact with the NHS and ask questions (but also carry on with life). They are there for you. Though the hospital can be a bit like a factory, on the whole we have a great health system. If you have a strong reason to dislike a doctor / nurse, find another one.

Doctors sometimes can be a bit brusque. With the years, and modern demands to break down social barriers, they are getting better, but it can be an alienating job. They see sooooo much death, as a result they can get a bit pathologised / alienated. Also, they are the elites in their business and have tough hours. Patient talking can be their weak point. (That said there are brilliant exceptions.)

• I have recently been diagnosed with prostrate cancer hopefully it's slow grower.

I have a mate who hasn't got much time left he's in a hospice he has lung cancer he's remarkably chilled about it.

Hope all goes as well as possible for you Rumpusmany.xox

• Never heard before Duckman,that low cholesterol may lead to cancer.There are so many suspected causes maybe we can never be sure at what time it started and why.I understand there are always cancer cells present in us ,but they are kept in check until they get out of control.The reason that happens I do not know.I only know that when it is found, is the only time we can start the battle to overcome it,before it overcomes us.We live in such a polluted environment nowadays ,even rain and food may carry risk,its hard to know what to do except live as healthily as you can and give yourself the best chance of survival.Early detection seems to give the best outcome.Have all the checks offered.All the best Rumpusmany,strength and love be with you for the time ahead.The cure rate is very good.x

• I have recently been diagnosed with prostrate cancer .

How are you doing?I hope you have organised a plan of action you are happy with?You look very young and fit on your avatar to get hit with it,most people i have come across with it are much older.To be fit with good health gives you advantage in beating it.All the best.:)

• I have recently been diagnosed with prostrate cancer hopefully it's slow grower.

I have a mate who hasn't got much time left he's in a hospice he has lung cancer he's remarkably chilled about it.

be-Jesus that’s dreadful news and something I also worry about myself. Hope you get the best treatment and outcome. How does anyone come to terms with a diagnosis like that. Had you been one of the cautious few and had a routine examination or felt ill and sought medical advice? Have you periodically had a prostate examination before any diagnosis? My thoughts are with you rumpusmany.

• How are you doing?I hope you have organised a plan of action you are happy with?You look very young and fit on your avatar to get hit with it,most people i have come across with it are much older.To be fit with good health gives you advantage in beating it.All the best.:)

Haha thanks Cricket,my avatar was donated to me by Sir Real a few years back.

I'm 69,in fairly good health the usual ailments with age, bit of gout, copd due to years of smoking,no longer smoke which has improved my health.I have a hound who I walk at least 5 miles a day that helps keep my weight off.

• be-Jesus that’s dreadful news and something I also worry about myself. Hope you get the best treatment and outcome. How does anyone come to terms with a diagnosis like that. Had you been one of the cautious few and had a routine examination or felt ill and sought medical advice? Have you periodically had a prostate examination before any diagnosis? My thoughts are with you rumpusmany.

Thanks AW,I have known I had an enlarged prostrate for a few years I thought it was part of the course of getting older.

I started pissing razor blades and went to the docs thinking I had a water infection,after blood tests I was referred to the urology clinic for a biopsy up my jaxxi,in fairness it sounds worse than what it is.

I have been told it's cancerous but only slighty,i'm not sure if they play things down to reassure you not too much to worry about.

I have had no treatment as yet I have been put on a 3 month watch list,when I go again I will have a scan to see what treatment I require.

I was a bit concerned because I had just got a mukka of mine admitted to a hospice and he has just passed away,when he was first diagnosed with lung cancer the docs were optimistic about his recovery but he went into rapid decline.

I try not to think about things too much,we have a 11 month old baby that keeps me on my toes and I would like to be around a few years yet to see him grow and for him to know me.The only symptoms I have is doing the hokey cokey to the toilet 3 or 4 times a night.

• Lost partner to cancer in 2008

Had radical prostatectomy my self in 2016, so far so good , blood test every three months.

Mane thing it did for me was a wake up call regarding dont waste a day, was never one for sitting around, just doesn't suit me. just reinforced it

Guys get the blood test, I had no symptoms , even when PSA came back it was only three.

It was just thanks to a thorough GP that further tests were done.

To say hope all goes well for you. goes without saying.

• I 100% go with what you say history,my PSA come back showing 3, I was offered the choice of a biopsy or just leave it,i chose the biopsy.So pleased I did.

I was told there are many men walking around with it who have no clue they have it due to lack of symptoms,my advice to all of you guys of a certain age is to have a check.

Just recently there has been a big publicity campaign about it because it's high up there in the death rates.

• Glad you are doing OK. I will ask for a blood test a.s.a.p.

I’ve noticed it’s extremely hard to get a appointment to see our own doctor of late. Emergency appointments aren’t so much a problem. But we now have to phone at 8.30am each morning to make a appointment. For the last 5 weeks & After sometimes 27 phone call attempts or average 9 minutes listening to music, personal worst case trying = 8.39am We are told “all” appointments have been taken. Even at 8.33am. We are often told “no appointments left”

Blokes are more likely to give up trying which is a worry.

• Glad you are doing OK. I will ask for a blood test a.s.a.p.

I’ve noticed it’s extremely hard to get a appointment to see our own doctor of late. Emergency appointments aren’t so much a problem. But we now have to phone at 8.30am each morning to make a appointment. For the last 5 weeks & After sometimes 27 phone call attempts or average 9 minutes listening to music, personal worst case trying = 8.39am We are told “all” appointments have been taken. Even at 8.33am. We are often told “no appointments left”

Blokes are more likely to give up trying which is a worry.

You have far too much to live for Alice.A few hours pestering,waiting and ringing is a small price to pay for the chance of a more in depth look at blood work that may well save your life.

• You have far too much to live for Alice.A few hours pestering,waiting and ringing is a small price to pay for the chance of a more in depth look at blood work that may well save your life.

true. I just called at the GP surgery reception and asked if the “well mens” checkups are still available? She began looking on the computer to see if I have been flagged up as a potential client. I hadn’t but I explained I was particularly interested in having the prostate test. The receptionist explained that would not be included in the standard well men clinic, and something I will have to talk to my GP about.

I did comment that the prostate test was a simple blood test and the receptionist looked at me strangely and said “is it” I do hope so I replied.

• I did comment that the prostate test was a simple blood test and the receptionist looked at me strangely and said “is it” I do hope so I replied.

Were you actually clothed at the time?Another reason she may have looked at you strangely is that in your area the nhs board there may not actually do these tests.I was called for an endoscopy.Had one before not keen.I asked if I could have a swallow camera that merrily makes its way along then is retrieved at point of gastro exit.Minimal administration staff,sees 500 times more and in more detail.Costs far less too in the end..The gastro team at the hospital doing it were enthralled said theyd read about it in books and the nearest place was 80 miles from me only if i had very special need of it as verified by doctor.The nhs DOES do it but not remotely near here as a norm.They mentioned private at well over a grand.Id diy but the kodak near choked me last time I tried that.Persist Alice...and get some gear on ,not everyone appreciates hippy style.:D

• That cheered me up. Oddly enough I did reflect on my attire shortly after! Well it’s been a hot day and I’m not the most conventional of dressers. Tall rigger boots and cargo shorts , but Tshirt and waistcoat are quite respectable! My 13 inch braided beard might not be standard, but it’s what my 3 year old daughter has only known.

I will ask my Doctor what type is available. End of the day it’s having a test that’s important and how far I would have to travel for it. I would assume a blood test Is more accurate diagnosis?

My neighbours daughter had the endoscopy Monday. I asked her if she had the little wireless camera. She had the standard flexi camera method.

• I dont know which is more accurate. A blood test would show up abnormalities but would have to be at a stage that its been there long enough to get into your bloodstream.

The finger up the bum checks there and then so it could possibly pick up abnormalities before that stage?

Luckily (or not) depending on your point of view when my dr mentioned it he did the finger there and then and booked me for the blood test as well. It really is nothing to worry about, the only time to be concerned is if you can still feel the finger when you can see him in the mirror rubbing his hands together.... :whistle:

• Luckily (or not) depending on your point of view when my dr mentioned it he did the finger there and then and booked me for the blood test as well. It really is nothing to worry about, the only time to be concerned is if you can still feel the finger when you can see him in the mirror rubbing his hands together.... :whistle:

if that was to happen rick I would assume one or two things. Firstly, I had lost my virginity or secondly, I would have shit myself, as my doctor is female :D

• Cancer is big where I live. I put it down to the amount of glyphosate used around here.

I don’t go with all this blame glyphosate. I’m probably bias to the suggestion. I’ve been licenced/qualified to apply/use it for over 20 years and of all the guys, workmates, colleagues, farmers, Land owners I’ve known to use it. I know of not one who has died from cancer.

Almost every manmade chemical concoction can be said to be carcinogenic and to pinpoint the culprit over a localised group of people is just a guessing game.

Our environment is far safer without glyphosate in it, but it’s a tool that remains widely used.

• of all the guys, workmates, colleagues, farmers, Land owners I’ve known to use it. I know of not one who has died from cancer.

Our environment is far safer without glyphosate in it, but it’s a tool that remains widely used.

We are lied to very convincingly in order to sell a product.The french scientists found years ago that Roundup causes cell changes in worms.If you wouldnt drink it dont use it.White vinegar is a good weedkiller.It is not only actual cancer that kills people,organ failure,heart attacks,nerve damage strokes...actual cause of death at point of death is rarely what set fatal wheels in motion.Good old Monsanto...utter money grabbing bstds.... https://www.theguardian.com/bu…r-roundup-dewayne-johnson