African women trained to shoot poachers

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Group of women being trained to shoot poachers in the Zambezi valley:

Quote from The Guardian

The black metal of the AR-15 rifle has worn silvery and shiny in parts after years of use. More manageable than an AK-47 in close-quarter combat, the weapon is precise enough to bring down an enemy target at 500 metres. Used for decades by anti-poaching units throughout Africa, today this gun is not carried by a typical swaggering male field ranger; this one is cradled securely and proficiently by Vimbai Kumire. “This job is not meant just for men,” she says, “but for everyone who is fit and strong.”

Quote from The Guardian

The Akashinga have embraced it with gusto. “It’s great,” says Kumire with a huge smile, as she stands in the light of the cooking fire steaming with pots of beans and spinach-like greens. “I don’t miss meat at all, when I go home for leave and people try to feed me meat I can’t eat it because my stomach hurts if I do, and I tell people no, don’t give me meat, I am vegan!” The women around her smile and nod in agreement.

https://www.theguardian.com/en…e-zimbabwe-elephant-rhino

https://www.iapf.org/akashinga/

• Thats an inspiring story,but its not just about being a vegan.Animals are killed for other reasons apart from their meat value.I'd like to see that story featured on the front page of a chinese newspaper for one!

• The only way to stop poaching is by education and zero tolerance . Chad has taken this example with shoot to kill poachers and elephants are making a very sucsessful come back .

There is armed womens group of poacher patrol called the Black Mambas in S Africa working in the parks . Taking a bit of bush meat by the locals is not the real problem , its the hunting to extinction the likes of rhino , elephant ,pangolin for overseas markets like China and Vietnam .

In South Africa there is a newreal problem of Donkeys been stolen for there skin !

• I dont care what sex they are,Ive seen plenty of formidable lady soldiers you wouldnt mess with.

Im all for them blowing away poachers if needs be...not very buddhist of me but these people care for nothing but the money it nets them and theyre ruthless in its pursuit and kill anyone who gets in their way so good riddance.

Wish these ladies a steady aim and long life.

• I think the idea is by involving women , the message poaching is not good is spread better through the communities .

The charity Blankets for Rhinos who the OH works for is about educating young children in poaching communities as much as helping orphaned Rhinos .

• I doubt giving women guns will help any more than giving men guns. The price that ivory etc obtains for the shooter is such (even if paltry by western standards) is such in poor societies that there is a powerful incentive for poaching to continue. It will only stop when the last elephant/rhino etc is dead or poverty disappears from Africa.

Which do you think will happen first?

• Veganism isn't about meat, it's about the use of animals for any purpose at all.

Why the Chinese?

Yes I know that Paul,but the lady featured,said she was a vegan,and that eating meat made her feel ill.There was no mention in the trade of rhino horns or whatever from her.

• I doubt giving women guns will help any more than giving men guns. The price that ivory etc obtains for the shooter is such (even if paltry by western standards) is such in poor societies that there is a powerful incentive for poaching to continue. It will only stop when the last elephant/rhino etc is dead or poverty disappears from Africa.

Which do you think will happen first?

You mean it's the poor poacher that gets shot, but the rich that want the ivory will continue to live it up? Doesn't seem fair does it. But life isn't fair and as long as someone gets shots, preferably the poor person, we are all happy!

• If a market sprung up for genuine poachers teeth bracelets or poachers foot coffee tables, that may help the elephants.What exactly is the "ivory must have" when fake looks the same?Though art forgery is wicked, of course, I do find it funny that people who pay 00000000 s for half a calf in a glass case because someones famous or a squiggle by someone get all upset when its found out it was actually done only by someone pretending to be famous.The driver must be "having something no one else has got no matter what it is or how it was got" is why elephants are slaughtered. An horrendous needless slaughter for a whim.:(