Does Your Animal Companion Love You or Pavlov?

• Listen, i'm finding this whole conversation very boring.

I don't take pharmaceutical drugs and i have no intention of ever taking them.

End of story. Toodlepip.

Yep, the fact that you seem to have a set of strongly held values that you reiterate whilst damning those perceived as less honourable is boring.

The fact that you cannot substantiate them when put into a hypothetical situation that challenges your beliefs is frankly mind boggling.

As I said If you object to epilepsy I could give you other examples of medical conditions; however, you have dismissed this as 'boring', which is the normal response of someone who lacks the wit to validate their beliefs.

I hope the continued rigours of life life allow your principles not to be challenged.

There's no place like 11000000.10101000.00000001.00000001 :evil:

The post was edited 1 time, last by Daisysmum ().

• ...or maybe it was the aggravating,pesky,insensitive,,lacking understanding male close company she kept that turned her occasionally evil.?This happens to women often,perhaps motorbikes suffer the same?:whistle:

Pfftt. Typical female response. Deny the logic and blame the man... :whistle:

You can only accomplish your object in life by complete disregard of the opinions of other people.

• My life life is hunky dory.

From Witless, X

• members with more than five posts will not see this advert

• Recently I had a conversation that made me wonder...does my hound actually "love" me.All that I know of love he does display as best he can. Specific very strong emotional attachment and reciprocal physical contact and communication.If he is upset he seeks to be held,if I am upset he comes and cuddles me.These things are beyond Pavlovs reward response as he does things for no reward also.So what do you think?Do we need to define love first to ascertain our beasties feelings toward us ,or do we just know?

i think we know xxx

• Right, I've got a slightly different take on this and will try and explain my thoughts. So hold on!!

Fly the collie, the barkie dog parrotandcrow had at dovedale took to me when we first met. Was it love at first sight? I don't think so.

Fly was happy enough in my company that she now lives with me and Mia, my other collie.

At one point I didn't think fly was happy living with us so we met up with pandc with the intention of returning fly. I didn't want the dog not being happy, fly decided that she was coming back with us to Scotland.

Now fly shows the signs that go along with love as stated above but does the dog love me? I don't think so. She knows I fEed her, exercise her and keep her safe. So responds appropriately

Mia on the other hand I know loves me, she's been with me since she was 8 or 9 weeks old.

I don't think dogs can care for a human in the way we class as love shown for another human. However, I know they both love pulled pork. I know I will always be second place to pulled pork!!

• Im sure that Fly does love you, Pyke. She is careful of how she acts around folk, having had pretty bad times; but she wanted to be with you very obviously. She is also aware that Mia has first place, so that affects how she acts with you, but there is no doubt in my mind that you are her special human, the one she was waiting for.

Plus, you have pulled pork. 😁

• Im sure that Fly does love you, Pyke. She is careful of how she acts around folk, having had pretty bad times; but she wanted to be with you very obviously. She is also aware that Mia has first place, so that affects how she acts with you, but there is no doubt in my mind that you are her special human, the one she was waiting for.

Plus, you have pulled pork. 😁

then that begs the question, what the fuck is wrong with that dog?

Her life must have been utter shite if I'm the best bet, saying that I felt the lump on her rib, that's not just been broken it's displaced

• Her life must have been utter shite if I'm the best bet, saying that I felt the lump on her rib, that's not just been broken it's displaced

Hearing of such treatment of an animal is one thing that really gets me angry. It'll take a very long time for Flys memories to ease, that and a whole lot of bonding.

I've found from experience that the bitches I've had have always been more aloof and independent than the dogs who appear closer and want more attention. My old dog which belonged to my O/H and ignored me, since her going, has gradually turned to me and a couple of times a day, after meals or for no reason at all her 65kgs will bulldoze into me wanting a cuddle and fuss and won't go until she's had it. Jnr is just a lick monster but at the same time a constant challenge on behaviour but he's getting better.

Time, love and patience.

• Fly came from a very bad place. Her first four years were hell. I don't know what caused her rib injury, but it's a reasonable guess that a good beating/kicking was involved. One of my parrots comes from the same household. It took me two years to get him out of there.

Fly came to me more easily, as she had several dogs, and was unable to get Fly to do anything she wanted her to do, so most of the time Fly was kept in a shed on the moors, starved, and brought out now and then for training (ie kickings).

Darwin is a sweet little Grey, mostly bald as he is a plucker. He had a lot of health and emotional problems but is a happy little soul these days. He had been kept in a filthy, tiny cage for seven years with little light, terrorised by dogs daily (including Fly) and fed cheap, mouldy food. She bought his food in, a sack at a time, and kept it in a dirty outhouse so you can imagine the state of it. I didn't know whether he would actually survive, but he did and is doing well.

• members with more than five posts will not see this advert

• Fly came from a very bad place. Her first four years were hell. I don't know what caused her rib injury, but it's a reasonable guess that a good beating/kicking was involved. One of my parrots comes from the same household. It took me two years to get him out of there.

Fly came to me more easily, as she had several dogs, and was unable to get Fly to do anything she wanted her to do, so most of the time Fly was kept in a shed on the moors, starved, and brought out now and then for training (ie kickings).

Darwin is a sweet little Grey, mostly bald as he is a plucker. He had a lot of health and emotional problems but is a happy little soul these days. He had been kept in a filthy, tiny cage for seven years with little light, terrorised by dogs daily (including Fly) and fed cheap, mouldy food. She bought his food in, a sack at a time, and kept it in a dirty outhouse so you can imagine the state of it. I didn't know whether he would actually survive, but he did and is doing well.

fly is dead easy to teach things, show her once and she can do it. Her recall em varies, depends on what is attracting her attention but we're working on that. Other than that she is fairly easy to teach. Most of the time I let her get on with it and do her own thing as long as it's within as long as it's within the rules. If she crosses the boundary I explain to her that's bad .

There's no need to hit a dog to train it, hitting a dog won't make it do what you want

• Yes, she was lovely to work with. Collies are, but perhaps because she had such a bad time of it, she seemed even more keen to please/learn than usual. Had she been my only animal companion, you would likely be watching videos on you tube of her doing amazing things with me.

Too many other responsibilities, alas to do much more than basic training with her, though.

• yeah, all the time. I even get in there bed and bark at them. All 3 of us were out barking at the waves last night. They looked lIke they were having fun so I thought I would join in.

Just asking as some owners can be quite aloof with their dogs and dont get much interaction with them.My ex was,supposedly a trained dog psychologist and always pissed off that the dogs spent more time with me than him.

Dogs in a pack are naturally affectionate and social to each other so long as each respects the pecking order.

Dogs respond to voice tone and facial gestures too and from those good at knowing what mood youre in and will often join in with humor even if they dont know whats causing the humor.

I could pull silly happy faces at my dog and she would instantly respond and act silly.

She loved big cuddles too and come fussing me and sit on me, all 65kilos of her.

Getting down on their level and having long chilled out cuddles and relaxing in a heap together breaks down their anxiety and resistance to interaction and raises their trust.

Fly is obviously going to take some work but once confident youre her best mate and not going to hurt her she will probably be more affectionate.

Dont give up on her,just give her time.

Your enemy will stab you in your heart,your friends always stab you in the back - beware your friends,embrace your enemy.

The post was edited 1 time, last by NomadicRT ().

• One of my animal companions, Dolly Dumpling aka Chucky the Cockatoo, has just found and completely destroyed one of my last remaining decent crocs. I had a pair, now I only have one good shoe so will have to hop.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, crocs, I know; but after all I'm a person who holds up my trousers with bungees.

• My Spaniel loves me, and everybody else he meets, he will sit and look at me for hours if need be just waiting for me to give him attention, my Lurcher.... just licks his lips as soon as I approach him, then curls up in a comfy spot if he realises there is no food available.

• I Always Say ....All Our Fluffy Or Feathered Or Scales Or Hairs Etc Etc Beautiful Companions YES ...Love Us ...BUT ...

What Makes There Be Love Different From Humans Is That ALL ANIMALS Etc

Love Us "UNCONDITIONALLY" Wherebe Sadly Most "Humans Love Is Sadly Often

"CONDITIONAL" LOVE ....But Yes Happily NOT ALL Humans Love That Way ....But There Be A Lot Of Humans Out There That Do Love The "CONDITIONAL WAY"

Wherebe Animals Do NOT Have Conditions To Have There Love ..

Nope And Sadly They Even LOVE Sadly There Abusers ....Because There Love Is

Pure..And .Unconditional No Matter How They Be Treated They Simply "LOVE UNCONDITIONALLY ".