Metal detecting

• You haven't been watching Detectorists by any chance have you? 8)

Love that show , missed last nights but looking forward to catching up , its so full of anoraks and suspense with more than enough humour ( both light and dark), the dream history sequence after finding that artifact was especially good .

• A mate of mine was in it in a big way years ago but has moved onto being a mudlark on the thames because he said round here all the good ground has been gone over too many times now.

He has found some good stuff though and thoroughly enjoys his hobby. I can see how it can get very addictive

• I treated myself to a Whites Spectra V3i. http://regton.com/white-s-spectra-v3i.html

I like the idea of being alone with earphones on, on Land I have no right to be on. Night time is a perticularly good time to be doing it as there’s fewer distractions. However I struggle to bend down and dig at the all signals. On the Spectra V3i it has a auto programe which can be selected for gold/silver/coins/ iron etc. Cuts out all those ring pulls and junk finds, but using discriminators is no guarantee you won’t miss the out on some good finds. Another advantage is that the Spectra supports wireless headphones so less cumbersome.

If you intend beach and waters edge detecting, you may find your better off buying a detector more suitable to that type of environment. Salts in the damp/wet soil can play havoc with false signals or something like that.

It also pays to study historic maps and have a basic understanding of ploughing methods. For instance a footpath shown on a map may not be in the same place on the ground. Also if a farmer ploughs that land over many years. The furrows usually will be in the same direction. Moving the top soil and any dropped items away from the footpath one foot each year that it’s ploughed, if thoseitems are within plough depth.

Another thing to consider is battery life. Headphones and the detector can burn a set of batteries in one go. Rechargeable batteries cost around £40 but are better value in the long run. There’s a good healthy secondhand market for detectors as folk like to trade up.

It is a worthwhile pastime for any lonely Nomadic person. When you have time on your hands and want to get out exploring.

I also have a 12 volt submersible torpedo metal detector that is lowered on rope from a boat to a depth in ponds, rivers etc. I’ve not yet played with that but it can be powered from a car/leisure battery. Good for finding stolen oroperty, guns and knives thrown from bridges.

• HI been detecting with my partner for around 10 years both love it we try to get out at least twice a week ,

any info on detectors needed please feel free to get in touch . I know I have not been on here for a while but when photobucket blocked all my photos of the Vera build , I sort of lost heart with it all , sort of ruined all my threads and posts ,

• HI been detecting with my partner for around 10 years both love it we try to get out at least twice a week ,

any info on detectors needed please feel free to get in touch . I know I have not been on here for a while but when photobucket blocked all my photos of the Vera build , I sort of lost heart with it all , sort of ruined all my threads and posts ,

Hello, what do you think of the detector that's caught my eye (minelab equinox 800)?

• Hello, what do you think of the detector that's caught my eye (minelab equinox 800)?

As a beginners machine I would forget about it , plus its not even for sale yet , I know it sound daft but any machine will find stuff , you just have to walk over it , the more expensive machines will go a bit deeper , but most finds are found in the top 6" anyway ( on ploughed land) the best machine I would recommend to anyone starter or pro , would be the tesoro cibola / laser trident 1 , one battery , switch on and go , second hand around £200

• The friend I spoke of in post 7 was a member of a club, still is AFAIK. It was a very important part of what he did and he got a lot of enjoyment and some really good long term friendships from treasure hunting. Weekends away, boozy nights in the pub etc

Another aspect to bear in mind

• The friend I spoke of in post 7 was a member of a club, still is AFAIK. It was a very important part of what he did and he got a lot of enjoyment and some really good long term friendships from treasure hunting. Weekends away, boozy nights in the pub etc

Another aspect to bear in mind

Yes ideal for meet ups plus the ever present possibility of making my fortune.

• Its one of those things which I've always sort of fancied, but never got further than that. I don't think I've ever seen anyone using a metal detector, so perhaps there are fortunes to be discovered in my area.

If men bore wings and had black feathers, few would be intelligent enough to be crows.

• Ive not been detecting since the 80's.Some sod nicked my detector from outside my van and i never replaced it.

Used to find some interesting stuff on the estuary mudflats where i went mostly.Bits off boats like old nails and fittings mostly.

Most interesting was the remains of a pulley block that came off a sailing ship.

Theyre very useful to have around if you like losing things like in long grass like i do:beard:

Id like to have another go at it but spending the fortune on detectors it seems to cost now i doubt it will be any time soon.

A friend has just joined a local archeological dig society where he lives up north and hes getting to play with some interesting metal detectors and ground penetrating radar all for free.(though obviously he wont benefit from finds in the same way as DIY)

• Is there a difference between the results you'd get with a £100 detector and the results you get with a £1000 detector?

You've got to find £900 more to break even?

It's something that i would probably enjoy, out for a nice walk on my own with the dog doing his own thing..

You can only accomplish your object in life by complete disregard of the opinions of other people.

• Is there a difference between the results you'd get with a £100 detector and the results you get with a £1000 detector?

Basicly a lower end detector has less ability to discriminate between ferrous and non ferrous metals , shallower depth , less sensitivity to smaller items ect , , top range detectors , have digital readouts , screens , multi tones for different metals , ( low tone for iron , mid for gold high for silver , )

thing is a lot of people that use these high end machines go on the number readout to decide whether to dig or not , big mistake ,

our machines that we normally use have one tone if it beeps we dig , I have seen people not dig a target because of the number reading only for someone else dig it out and find something good

• Just had a quick look on You Tube, a lot of really interesting stuff being dug up.

Yes if you do your research it can be a fantastic hobby , and you never know what the next signal will be , last week I was detecting round a ancient well when I dug up a 2000 year old roman coin in mint condition , I walked around 20 ft and my next signal was a i phone

• Yes if you do your research it can be a fantastic hobby , and you never know what the next signal will be , last week I was detecting round a ancient well when I dug up a 2000 year old roman coin in mint condition , I walked around 20 ft and my next signal was a i phone

What sort of money was the coin worth (for insurance reasons of course)?

• What sort of money was the coin worth (for insurance reasons of course)?

surprisingly a lot of Roman coins are worth very little, the Romans used to toss away small denomination coins as a good luck offering to the spirits or whatever.

A bit like throwing coins down a wishing well. So at one time, not anymore probably, metal detectorists could bring up lots of them around Roman sites.

That was a few years ago now

• If anyone wants to read up on detecting or see finds and hoards that are found on a daily basis , there are 2 magazines both monthly one is called treasure hunting the other the searcher , both english and available at most large newsagents

• Love that show , missed last nights but looking forward to catching up , its so full of anoraks and suspense with more than enough humour ( both light and dark), the dream history sequence after finding that artifact was especially good .

It looks like this was the last series, according to an interview with mackenzie crook in the radio times it also said that he has taken up the hobby in real life.