Composting Dog/Cat crap!

• I don't own a dog or cat,but someone on a gardening group on FB asked if they can compost dog or cat crap.Its not something I would want to do (Parasites?)but can you?I'm guessing the compost heap would have to be a high temp to kill of any bacteria??

• Yeah i've been doing my cat litter tray contents all summer and it composted fine. You have to be careful what litter you use though...i use a natural wood based one and layer it up in the compost bin with veggies and the like. I won't use it on anything edible but will be fine for potted plants..

• I never have,apart from the bacteria issue,pet food contains additives and may contain hormones and often from dubious sources so ive always disposed of it.

More than likely its minimal risk I just nevet fancied using it.

I used to use manure of my horses when i had them and later get a tipper load of sheep or cattle manure off a farmer mate of mine.

• If mixed in with other things it definitely does compost! Like i said i wouldn't use it near anything edible in case there's still nasty organisms, but they should die off if it's kept long enough and was hot enough.

Human waste goes to treatment plants but dog and cat crap go to landfill where it can potentially contaminate ground water which isn't a great option either.

• Not so, you can make some very good compost from human manure, but you have to make sure it reaches high enough temperatures over a given period of time to render it safe. Other alternative is to compost it for at least three years before using. This effectively kills off all parasites and harmful bacteria.

Personally I would not compost cat or dog manure. These are true carnivores, and there is very little of value left in cat or dog poo. Quite apart from the reasons mentioned above, of course.

(That Chinese garlic bought at the market or supermarket has probably been grown in human manure. They've been using it for a long time over there).

• A lot of sewerage treatment waste got spread on fields at the end of the biodigest cycle (no idea if it still is) but as liquid slurry form like cattle slurry.

Dog and cat crap breaks down in a matter of days in the open environment. I just wouldnt want it in my compost...it smells fookin foul for a start.

• Yes, pee supplies ammonia which helps the composting process. Just don't let the neighbours see you:)

On slurry, years ago a farmer friend of mine used to use sewage slurry on his fields, but even then it was restricted to one full application every twenty (20) years, due to local industry dumping a certain amount of heavy metals into the sewage system.

• I was on a compost loo site at one point, and they were talking of burning the compost. One of them said you could burn fresh poo in your burner, and that it didn't even smell.

I was pretty sceptical, but nonetheless was interested to see if it was true, and when I took the dogs out, I collected their waste and bunged it on the fire when I got back. To my surprise,it burnt well and really didn't smell.

If men bore wings and had black feathers, few would be intelligent enough to be crows.

• It burns well...once you squeeze the excess water out and roll them in your hands...

It really does burn ok. Straight from the shovel. If you are concerned about smell, as I was, try it on an outside firepit before you stick it in your burner. You just need the fire burning well, first.

If men bore wings and had black feathers, few would be intelligent enough to be crows.

• I have a separate compost bin for any crap the dogs leave near the house. At one time I was collecting it in bio-degradable poobags, but after some years they are still visible in the bin - turns out that like a lot of "bio-degradable" bags, they take decades, so not using them any more. I won't be using the "compost", it's just a place to put the poo to stop anything treading in it.

Incidentally, left alone, slugs will make short work of a dog-poo.