Its cold now, how do you get on with it?

• I must admit, at 63 its definitely getting to me more than it did. Years ago I don't think it really bothered me.

I have a lot of coping strategies, mostly involving the right clothes. How do you cope with it?

• My poor 19 year old cat is struggling he was shivering earlier...have been considering getting him a jumper but am scared it'll get caught on a branch an he'll get stuck outside. He's already got an electric heat pad that he rarely leaves so not sure what else I can do for him :(

• My poor 19 year old cat is struggling he was shivering earlier...have been considering getting him a jumper but am scared it'll get caught on a branch an he'll get stuck outside. He's already got an electric heat pad that he rarely leaves so not sure what else I can do for him :(

Mine have both got snuggly beds but one sleeps on my bed and the other goes and sleeps in the barn :/

Youre probably best keeping him in if you can.If hes cold he'll stay indoors anyway.

• Yeah he literally goes out for 5 minutes a day for a crap and that's it. Is okay when I'm at home cause I have the wood burner lit but he must get really cold at nights when I'm working..

A nice big old snuggly duvet for him ? I got one from a charity shop,folded into 4 and it was a deep warm bed for our cats at the old place.They loved it.

• How do you cope with it?

Im 57 so not far behind you.Like you I never felt the cold much and ive slept under trucks in Sweden in seriously unpleasant cold.

I dont like being cold these days but ive a mass of cold weather/survival gear in my van to cope with virtually anything.

Ive got an antarctic sleeping bag good for -60C and ski suit if heating were to fail totally and plenty of spare winterised alpine clothing and couple of extra duvets and loads of blankets...I should be ok :)

Just wish id got a woodburner instead of gas as in this weather it doesnt last long.

Im glad i put up my awning though, its made a huge difference with this bitter wind.

Its this time of year you know whether you did enough to insulate your home(and regret what you didnt do because you thought you wouldnt need to)..Been there too many times so i prefer being OTT now.

• I need to find a supply of A1or A0 size corrugated cardboard sheet.I used to have access to as much as I wanted for free but not now.

It makes good extra temp floor insulation and keeps dirt and damp to minimum.

• Cardboard is good, particularly the corrugated stuff. I sometimes cut insoles out of scrap cardboard, to put in wellies or cold boots/shoes if I don't have warm insoles handy. As said, also good on cold floors for treading on.

At 71, I sometimes wear an old lambswool or merino wool jumper instead of a vest under the shirt in cold weather, or even with a vest if it's biting cold. Thin layers of wool underneath keep you warmer than thin layers of cotton.

• Multi Layering is best...I couldnt wear wool against my skin it drives me mad but over T shirts its ok.

In bitter - lots weather ive had T shirt- thin woolly- larger T shirt- thick woolly and been toasty.

Gym joggers under trousers or gym tights work well also.

Ive pulled my van door trim cards off and put sheets of board in the door (avoiding the window mechanism of course)and replaced the card...and chucked it on the front floor and blocked half the radiator grill apperture with card.It all helps and when winters over you can chuck in the recycling.

• I need to find a supply of A1or A0 size corrugated cardboard sheet.I used to have access to as much as I wanted for free but not now.

It makes good extra temp floor insulation and keeps dirt and damp to minimum.

Estate agent boards are good, I recycle the corrugated plastic for insulation and the wood for another project

Never under estimate the insulating properties of freebie newspapers. They often leave piles of them outside supermarkets.

• A nice big old snuggly duvet for him ? I got one from a charity shop,folded into 4 and it was a deep warm bed for our cats at the old place.They loved it.

His heat pad is on top of two duvets on my bed heh. Think he's struggling this year because he's alone for the first time ever, without any other cats to snuggle up to for body heat :(

• Yeah he literally goes out for 5 minutes a day for a crap and that's it. Is okay when I'm at home cause I have the wood burner lit but he must get really cold at nights when I'm working..

Couldnt you put the heated pad inside one of the cat igloos for extra warmth?

7119233PL.jpg

You can only accomplish your object in life by complete disregard of the opinions of other people.

• Brrr Ma,that makes me feel cold just thinking about it!^^I dont mind during the day not having the CH on as long as I'm moving around doing something.If I'm sat down though,its just too nippy.I do enjoy getting rugged up and heading outside for a trek though.Too much time inside makes me stir crazy.

• Must say the ex-army long johns (Drawers, Thermal, Winter:)) the O/H got me as a birthday present are pretty bloody good. Had them on today for the first time; nice and warm while walking, and kept me snug while spending hours in our local Men's Shed, which is in a huge chilly warehouse.

Best pair I have are old Swedish Army issue, circa 1980's. I have replaced the elastic once or twice by now, but they are much warmer than jogging bottoms, and too warm to wear underneath, even outside, in anything much above freezing-point.

• Hope folks are taking notice of the weather...after storm Caroline wizzes past Scotland with 70mph winds midweek, we all get an arctic blast...string vests and flatcaps may be required...flipflops optional.

• Hope folks are taking notice of the weather...after storm Caroline wizzes past Scotland with 70mph winds midweek, we all get an arctic blast...string vests and flatcaps may be required...flipflops optional.

I'm not proud, if it gets really cold it'll be tights time :hippie: just a bugger when you need a pee.

• I'm not proud, if it gets really cold it'll be tights time :hippie: just a bugger when you need a pee.

Good grief,where on earth do you get tights which fit you? I haven't bought any for years, but seem to recall I struggled to get any that would fit me, and you are a lot bigger than I am!

If men bore wings and had black feathers, few would be intelligent enough to be crows.

• Good grief,where on earth do you get tights which fit you? I haven't bought any for years, but seem to recall I struggled to get any that would fit me, and you are a lot bigger than I am!

The O/H was 6'2 and had a load of them. The gussets a bit low but allows for 'nutroom'. :hippie:

you are a lot bigger

Naughty girl peeking :reddevil: