Woodburners, stoves, cookers and ranges recommended and reviews.

• Theres plenty of wood or multifuel stoves with back boilers on ebay if you search 'woodburner stove back boiler' nowhere near the price of them there fancy Deans Forge ones.

Think id be inclined to get a Julian oven myself or a jotul burner like wot i had before (and an lpg jetted combi for the times you want lot of hot water).

• As julian gets all his parts laser cut (iirc) it may be worth enquiring if he can make the back wall of the stove out of stainless plate and therby allow the construction of a small back boiler for one of his stoves which would form the back wall?

You could get it made of steel but there is obviously the corrosion issue to take into account.

Alternatively, if you were to get the internal dimensions of his stove, and have a stainless box made up an inch thick, as wide and high as the internals of the stove with back top and back bottom bsp threaded nipples he could fit it inside a steel stove during construction.

You can only accomplish your object in life by complete disregard of the opinions of other people.

• As julian gets all his parts laser cut (iirc) it may be worth enquiring if he can make the back wall of the stove out of stainless plate and therby allow the construction of a small back boiler for one of his stoves which would form the back wall?

You could get it made of steel but there is obviously the corrosion issue to take into account.

Alternatively, if you were to get the internal dimensions of his stove, and have a stainless box made up an inch thick, as wide and high as the internals of the stove with back top and back bottom bsp threaded nipples he could fit it inside a steel stove during construction.

You can get brass backboilers for converting open fires and log burners,or back boilers for converting Aga and rayburn stoves theyre usually on ebay too.

• You can get brass backboilers for converting open fires and log burners,theyre usually on ebay too.

Personally i think i would go for the stainless. Obviously brass has the better thermal transfer rate but the stainless is easily repairable (at least the bit you can get to) if damaged.

And cheaper! :oldtimer:

You can only accomplish your object in life by complete disregard of the opinions of other people.

• Personally i think i would go for the stainless. Obviously brass has the better thermal transfer rate but the stainless is easily repairable (at least the bit you can get to) if damaged.

And cheaper! :oldtimer:

Suppose it is but if you can buy a ready made boiler for 50 to 75 squid like the ones listed on ebay. Personally I dont like back boilers cause they always fail at some point and dump their contents all over the place and wreck your joint and leave you with no heating or water for ages....I like things simple.

Also im not fond of water tanks having had 4 burst in my hous living days and completely fuck up ceilings and electrics dumping 40 or 50 gallons of water at an inconvenient moment of their choosing.

• Personally I dont like back boilers cause they always fail at some point and dump their contents all over the place and wreck your joint and leave you with no heating or water for ages....I like things simple.

With you on that. A "back boiler" type unit on flexible pipes that could be placed in the oven with the door open may be worth considering. That way its removeable if you get a leak, the heat in the oven isn't wasted and if you dont want hot water you dont put it in.

• With you on that. A "back boiler" type unit on flexible pipes that could be placed in the oven with the door open may be worth considering. That way its removeable if you get a leak, the heat in the oven isn't wasted and if you dont want hot water you dont put it in.

I did see a stove somewhere that had a back boiler water jacket bolted to it externally. ergo easily replaceable in theory...but ive no clue what make it was...but id be quite happy with a Julian oven and a mega kettle to sit on top.

If i wanted gallons of hot water id just get an oil or gas condensing combi.

I hardly use much water though so be pointless me going to that industrial level of faffing.

• Aldi stove top fan, great thing. Can't recommend it enough, it's even got the dogs approval.

Normally thing that's new, make a noise or move cause issue for at least one of them but no doggie issues about the fan

Only issue I can see with it, it doesn't have a big enough base for me to be able to drive with it sitting on the stove with out falling over.

• members with more than five posts will not see this advert

• since I'm here I suppose I should also do a right Up on my Stove, it's a Glastonbury griffin.

Great little stove, 3kw I think. Fairly light at 17kg, heats the van well! Takes about half an hour to heat it from cold, handles hinges ect are just bits of steel bent into shape but would be easy to replace repair if ever needed.

Best thing about it, I got it for £120 brand new with an antique brass shovel. It was on eBay, it had been bought and never fitted as the person selling didn't know how to fit it. After I got it delivered I sent them to Julian as he can supply and fit the renew burner

• Aldi stove top fan, great thing. Can't recommend it enough, it's even got the dogs approval.

Normally thing that's new, make a noise or move cause issue for at least one of them but no doggie issues about the fan

Only issue I can see with it, it doesn't have a big enough base for me to be able to drive with it sitting on the stove with out falling over.

strip the door magnets out of a old scrap fridgedoorseal, lay the flexible strip magnets over the cast aluminium fan base and stick to steel stove top either side of fan. There you have it, but if the stove is too hot, it could demagnetise the strips.

• Which model? Hobbit looks interesting and if you consider the “extras” stainless hotplate, gallery rail. It gets expensive, but if you can put it down to tax for drying out your “wet” work wear. Not really a big issue.

http://salamanderstoves.com/pr…gory/small-stove-options/

I’ve not read any reviews bu5 it could be worth your time doing so.

• I have a Morso Squirrel stove with a back boiler feeding two radiators on my narrowboat. It's probably too high an output for a van/lorry conversion but on the boat it's awesome. I usually stick a stew on top during the day so it acts like a slow cooker ready for when I get back home. A useful tip for any stove owner is to stick a kettle or pan of water on top all the time. It won't be any use for making a brew but you'll have hot water for washing up or washing yourself to hand.

• members with more than five posts will not see this advert