Woodburners, stoves, cookers and ranges recommended and reviews.

• Thought we could put together a thread for woodburners we come across.

I’m perticularly interested in mini woodburners for the smaller vehicle/Living space.

So I’m going to kick off with the cubic mini woodstove. The Cub stove. Made in Canada. 14,000btu. They can be floor or wall mounted and both base and wall mounts/back wall protector can be purchased from the company.

They are not cheap £265 for the Cub stove. + £105 for the floor mount/base. or + £105 for the wall mount/ back plate. .

https://cubicminiwoodstoves.com/collections/all

A few drawbacks to this cubic mini Cub woodstove is the size of wood needs to be smaller than 5 3/4 inch. (This is often a problem with mini woodburners)

Also cooking facilities on the top is reduced, if at all possible, other than the smallest of pans/coffee pots. Due to the available surface area and a brass decorative? rail running around the top.

I’m assuming with the stoves internal fire brick insulation and secondary burn (above fire) airflow structure, that the top plate won’t get hot enough to boil water? But it would keep your drinks cup hot and therefor the brass rail trim would function to keep hot vessels from falling off the top plate and also be decorative.

Loads of reviews on the internet https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w_A-zAXTigU

here’s one comparing it to its ‘bigger brother The Grizzly’ at 18,000btu. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kcGzjIx1QX4

• Ive heeded advice and Julianed (the 'fireweaver stove' [for search engines])

I have the 'medium' installed by the maker and was walked through the installation in such a way that I should be able to do a DIY fit next time.

Construction is solid. Removable baffle plate for easy sweeping and optimum combustion. Air tight shutdown for driving with hot embers. Takes homefire heat logs in one go.

I have the optional grate and use modern (smokes less) coal.....stays in overnight with enough capacity to afford ash emptying once per day.

Hotplate works with medium to large pan bases just about.

• I did have a windy smithy Wendy, in a previous truck, it was pretty good, had a reasonable sized cooking area as the top slightly overhang the body. The only drawback was the door size was quite small and again you had to cut the wood up small. Was good for taking those compressed sawdust pellets. I could never get the thing to keep in all night though.

Years ago in another truck I had a small pot bellied the one sold by Machine Mart. It gave a pretty awesome heat output (had it in the middle so gave an even heat) but it had virtually no cooking area.

The only trouble with the pot belly is, if you loaded it up to much with something hot like oak, or coal then it would glow a bit on the outside, this made me a bit uneasy going to sleep until the glowing resided! Again it was pretty bad for staying in a long time as it didn't close down that well but would heat up in about 15 minutes from cold.

(they seem to have updated the air intake now on the pot belly. )

Now using a Jotul at home.

• We have a Gnome from Glastonbury Burners:

http://www.glastonburyburners.co.uk/gnome.html

It's a good price, has enough top surface for a medium saucepan, will take a full size Heat Log... Well made, removable baffle plate, and shuts down nice and tight... With the right fuel it will just stay in over night... We only need to empty the ash once a week.

Downsides? Worst thing I can think of is that it only has holes for hold-down screws in two of its four legs... I'd have preferred a screw in each corner!

• Now using a Jotul at home.

looks like the one I picked up. It’s not installed. It had been used in a house and the top plate had cracked and warped a few mm behind the top stovepipe outlet. It works fine and the crack can be filled with fire cement. I was going to put it in the workshop, but may sell it on.

• looks like the one I picked up. It’s not installed. It had been used in a house and the top plate had cracked and warped a few mm behind the top stovepipe outlet. It works fine and the crack can be filled with fire cement. I was going to put it in the workshop, but may sell it on.

They give out good heat, from memory something like 6.5kw and will go all night with the right wood.

• as i,ve said before i have a julian with oven, i looked at various stoves also went to several makers and from an engineering point of view this was the best, most of the others had piss poor handles and were made of thinner metal. the firebox takes fair sized pieces and can take the larger firelogs with ease. in fact three firelogs will keep in for 12 hours comfortably. after three years have had no problems with it,it does all my heating and 80% of my cooking. tis minus 2 outside and i,m sitting in shirtsleeves put three logs on from aldi at 7pm and that will do till morning. jacket spuds chilli and 10 litres of hot water all at the same time

• as i,ve said before i have a julian with oven, i looked at various stoves also went to several makers and from an engineering point of view this was the best, most of the others had piss poor handles and were made of thinner metal. the firebox takes fair sized pieces and can take the larger firelogs with ease. in fact three firelogs will keep in for 12 hours comfortably. after three years have had no problems with it,it does all my heating and 80% of my cooking. tis minus 2 outside and i,m sitting in shirtsleeves put three logs on from aldi at 7pm and that will do till morning. jacket spuds chilli and 10 litres of hot water all at the same time

and we can’t get a better recommendation and review than that.

• members with more than five posts will not see this advert

• It’s a lot of money for a lot of stove. I think if these new smokeless inner city rules are enforced, there’s going to be a lot of stoves put on the market. For that sort of money, you can really take your pick of the market and if your lucky make a wicked investment for yourself.

• What’s the requirement for a back boiler? Hot water? Hot water and central heating? Central heating?

How do you plan supplying water for the back boiler? Underslung water tank and pump? Underslung pumped to a header tank and gravity fed onwards? Manually filling back boiler?

In a wagon I would prefer oven myself.

• Hot water,header tank,no pump..

Not suggesting you buy this, but something similar like a gas bottle with a flue pipe welded through the middle would be pretty easy to make meaning you keep your standard stove and oven (basically a big kelly kettle but the firebox is external)

https://www.saunashop.co.uk/pr…or-woodburner-chimney/580

You can only accomplish your object in life by complete disregard of the opinions of other people.

• Not suggesting you buy this, but something similar like a gas bottle with a flue pipe welded through the middle would be pretty easy to make meaning you keep your standard stove and oven (basically a big kelly kettle but the firebox is external)

https://www.saunashop.co.uk/pr…or-woodburner-chimney/580

I've got a hankering for an indirect cylinder full of hot water on the roof plumbed to a sink/shower and a bath:)

• I've got a hankering for an indirect cylinder full of hot water on the roof plumbed to a sink/shower and a bath:)

If you fitted something like the above to your flue and positioned the cylinder above it with a flow and return it would thermosyphon giving you plenty of hot water. 47 kilo gas bottle must be best part of 100 litres of water, plus whatever the one round the flue holds.

You can only accomplish your object in life by complete disregard of the opinions of other people.

• If you fitted something like the above to your flue and positioned the cylinder above it with a flow and return it would thermosyphon giving you plenty of hot water. 47 kilo gas bottle must be best part of 100 litres of water, plus whatever the one round the flue holds.

Yep I getcha,I need a bigger stove anyway so a nice compact little integral stainless back boiler is around a £160 extra with not so much work.

• What’s your vehicle like at cornering? I loaded a roof rack up on a Ford Transit ex bus similar size to yours. Worst journey to Glastonbury Ive ever made. It was frightening when large lorries overtook me at speed, they would suck the vehicle in and out of lanes. Bulk water on roof in baffled could result in similar. A low voltage waterpump and the smallest header tank would make refilling easy and lower centerof gravity. Fit a ballcock and make it auto refilling. Insulating the header tank would be essential, if it’s hung indoors it may make the wagon too warm for comfort.

I bought two of these https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/REDUC…ATER-BURNER-/171978925386

I could either fill manually with a 25litre water but or bucket or 12volt pump from onboard fresh water tank. I will still have to run offor decant the header tank of water as there’s no baffles fitted and it’s a 4 gallon brass header tank with a loose sit on brass lid.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/vinta…id=p2056116.c100408.m2460

The idea is to thread my stove pipe through the Center. They have a built on water header tank and ballcock. It works as a extension tank too. Antique Brass and comes complete with taps and fittings. The other one I want to power on bio gas connected to and fed from a biogas Dog/human shit recycling tank.

I paid £65 for one and £50 for the other, both are very ornate, steam punk to look at. I like the idea of turning a tap on and extracting hot water when the stove is on (even if it’s just a mug full and the waste heat from the chimney is being utilised.

• What’s your vehicle like at cornering? ...

The idea was only mentioned as OH is static, obviously would be impractical for mobile use.

I have some 6, 8 and 12 inch diameter stainless tube, when i put another flue in i intend to jacket the 4 inch flue pipe with some of it. Not only will it stop it being such a burning hazard (at 100 degree max rather than 200+) it will allow a quantity of water to be heated which can either be used for washing or filling hot water bottles, or it will act as a thermal store radiating heat out as it cools.

One note, besides a tap on the bottom and a means of filling it should have a small diameter vented line going up through the roof for expansion in case you boil your water.

Edit: Just checked your links AW, they are lovely looking tanks! More itemns on my ebay search list...

• It's a 1000l tank but I will probably drill the overflow a little over half way up,its on its own platform not the roof.

Id cut the top off, half fill it with water, connect to your stove, build some steps up to it and call it an elevated hot tub.