It's International Men's Day

• They had a stall here locally in a shopping centre, to kind of announce it was International Men's Day.

They were asking: "What does it mean to you, to be a man?"

Not many were taking the bait.

What does it mean to you chaps here, anyway? It is an odd question that can be answered at so many different levels.

'It means being responsible for paying most of the bills'

'It means eyeing up the all women passing by, and wondering why, in advanced years, one still does it'

'It means feeling a duty or responsibility for the well-being of those of less power or ability than ourselves'

Just to get the ball rolling. What does it mean to you to be a man?

• Two out of three above id massively disagree with :beard:

Plus...Non of the traditional male roles are beyond female capabilities or solely male responsibilities....and vise versa.

If youre a single parent of either gender you have to fulfill both male and female roles on your own and most men or women do so quite well.....so why not as single people also?..apart from the constraining society constructs on roles as males or females.

Think its about time we stopped pigeon-holing males and females and what roles theyre supposed to fill or live up to.

• Not much...

I certainly enjoy the results of the education I received as a boy, but that education is just the result of a deeply ingrained gender bias in society...

My education may make me better at doing stuff that others who didn't have it, but those others can be of either gender.... Being male does not automatically give me any special powers...

I don't ever feel "manly" whatever that means, just capable of the things I can do... And I'm the last one to get into a fight.. I feel no shame in running away....

Just to get the ball rolling. What does it mean to you to be a man?

Without my O/H, nothing, no hand to hold, no bollockings and so on. Sorry, got my shitty head on. Normal service will be resumed shortly.........

• I was struggling to find an answer to keiths post.

By choice i work full time and my misuse works part time and looks after the house - in that sense i suppose we both fulfil stereotypical roles but that was a decision that we mutually came to and wasnt just "because that how it should be"

As for everything else, within the context of our relationship we both muck in equally and do our bit, so really being the man only means that im the one who gets sore balls when the dog jumps on me in bed.

Oh and i get flu, she gets a cold... :whistle:

You can only accomplish your object in life by complete disregard of the opinions of other people.

• Don't take it too seriously guys!

Perhaps I should have stuck a smiley at the end of two of my statements, at least.

Don't forget it's more a personal thing of what it means to you, rather than anything to do with how we see role models in society. It's more about how it feels to you, personally, at whatever level you like.

Incidentally, the third statement, which some of you may feel uncomfortable with, and which got drummed into me as a kid:

'It means feeling a duty or responsibility for the well-being of those of less power or ability than ourselves'

has been responsible on several occasions in my life for making me turn around against my own cautious nature and go in and help somebody, at some personal risk, but always successfully.

If, like me, you are not naturally a brave person, a sense of responsibility or duty can help you go in and do what you otherwise would be unable to do.

• This topic was discussed at work the other day.A few of the younger guys,said they felt confused about their role as a man.Some liked to think the male/female roles should be equal,and had dated women who agreed,only to find their date expected the guy to pay for dinner!They felt confused as to the level of equality expected.Most of the guys expected their partners to earn equal,but also expected the female to cook,clean and look after the kids?Hmmm!:rolleyes:(Don't shoot the messenger!)

My husband and I share the household bills equally.We also share costs of holidays etc.I would'nt want it any other way.We both work full time.

Yes,as a middle aged female,I look at other guys,and I don't wonder why I do it either,its natural right?Most of the guys I find attractive are in their 30's! ;)

As for a guy taking responsibility for those with less power,I'm fiercely independant,so would'nt want a guy to be responsible for me.

• I’m privalaged to remain a man and not conform to gender disorientation like the rest of the village now Im Local. But they do tell me it’s OK to change my mind now and then. however many times I chose to. So I may just switch three times a year from now on. Once for Mother’s Day, change back for Father’s Day and toss a coin for International men’s day. See how I feel and all that.

I reminded Lyndsey just after midnight that It was international men’s day. Note to self, Must be more prepared next year.

• Theres a good documentary on Netflix called The Red pill.....a feminist starts to investigate the mens movement and mens rights. There's a lot of knob heads (as with the feminist movement too) but there's some really good points made about how in some countries the odds are swinging against men now..

• Theres a good documentary on Netflix called The Red pill.....a feminist starts to investigate the mens movement and mens rights. There's a lot of knob heads (as with the feminist movement too) but there's some really good points made about how in some countries the odds are swinging against men now..

I thought that got taken down from Netflix after complaints or something?

I saw it some time back and thought it was pretty good -- ultimately I felt both "sides" were pretty much after the same thing with all the noise ruining the opportunity for debate.

• As for a guy taking responsibility for those with less power,I'm fiercely independant,so would'nt want a guy to be responsible for me.

But in some instances, for example if you were attacked, would you not expect any decent guy to help you?

Any of us, male or female, can be in a position of less power or less ability to cope, at any time, depending on the circumstances.

Oh, by the way, my O/H has always been a bit of a feminist; but I am still expected to pay for drinks and dinner! :)

• But in some instances, for example if you were attacked, would you not expect any decent guy to help you?

Any of us, male or female, can be in a position of less power or less ability to cope, at any time, depending on the circumstances.

Oh, by the way, my O/H has always been a bit of a feminist; but I am still expected to pay for drinks and dinner! :)

Whoops,sorry Oldkeith,I misunderstood what you meant re responsibility of power.Protection yes!