Touch typing

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Has anyone learnt how to touch type before? Am trying to teach myself from a book at the minute with a plan to use it for making money online.

Is going okay but my wrists and hands are aching after about ten minutes? I've tried adjusting my position and keeping my wrists neutral etc but it doesn't help. I woke up last night and both my wrists were killing me..

Is this normal at the start or am I doing something wrong? Any tips gratefully received..

• I can touch type with three fingers (sometimes four) and my thumbs for the space bar - never trained though; this is just a result of just being online for too long.

Recently bought a new keyboard and now learning not to mistype as a result of the size differences. :D

• Touch typing is easy once you subconsciously learn where the other letters are in relation to the f and j keys (the ones with the bump) that your middle fingers rest.

Theres free teaching apps on smartphone stores and for mac and windoze which will teach and test at same time.

It should take between a week and 3 to be proficient at it if you keep practising.

If your wrists are hurting get keyboard Gelpad wrist support/rest,they take the ache out of typing for long periods.

Exhibit A

3M-WR320LE_400.jpg

• I learned to touch type at school on a typewriter! We had to rest our fingers on asdf and jkl;. The teacher would tell us how to move the relevant finger to the next letter to do the alphabet and exercises to build up muscle memory. Takes a while but you always remember and your wrists get stronger with practice.

• I remember this too. I was rubbish though as I had little opportunity or desire to practice. Amazing how good a typist I am since the internet though. I bet I could type faster than any of the top speeds that were back then. :thumbup:

• I touch type.. I dont have to look at my hands and can look at the screen while I type :)

I remember when I learned at school on a push down typewriter and it was hard going. We had cards that would sit up beside the typewriter showing us where each of the keys were and we had to use that and not look at our hands. The F & J have little notches/raised bumps so you can find your position easily.

It was hard going but when I eventually left school and went onto college we had electric typewriters which were alot easier. It does come to you eventually, bit like driving I suppose and all it takes is peserverence and practice. I rest my wrists on the front of the laptop either side of the mouse pad.. if its a proper keyboard, then wrist supports would be advantageous..

Good luck :)

• I learned at school when I was 15 and it's definitely one of my most useful life skills.

Keep with it, yes it hurts to start, just like any muscle, and like Chained Thistle says, it's much easier nowadays than the old fashioned typewriter I also learned on at school!

Plus back space is a blessing, we used to have to use tippex :D

• I learned at school when I was 15 and it's definitely one of my most useful life skills.

Keep with it, yes it hurts to start, just like any muscle, and like Chained Thistle says, it's much easier nowadays than the old fashioned typewriter I also learned on at school!

Plus back space is a blessing, we used to have to use tippex :D

Yeah it doesn't really hurt anymore though i start to loose the plot after about 20 minutes of typing. Am making slow progress am managing about 35 wpm and 98% accuracy..