You don't know what you've got until it's gone

• A hot shower, for Obvious reaSONS.

Other than that, nothing.

Oh!, my records but they will be coming wIth me next year in the new truck.

Im only about 8 weeks in, this isn't my first time living on the road but its my first time with no get out clause or saftey net.

I thought i would miss things, im not sure what I thought I would miss but it turns out i havent missed a thing.

Things seem to take longer to do in a van but thats ok, i have it easy just now as i can get all the free wood and water i want every day from work. Ask me again im febuary about that one when im not working.

The dog seems to like being nomadic as she gets to play in new places almost every day

• No not really miss living in a house.

Not having a big bath and bathroom and a plumbed in washing machine I guess but ive lived like this 10 years so far and 7 when i was younger including on a boat,you just get used to doing stuff differently and not needing stuff you at first think you cant possibly do without.

Only thing i seriously miss about any property is not having a garden to grow my own veg and not having a huge garage to work on my vehicles in the dry.

Non are essential though...The more you have the more hassle it is.

• funny, but one of my perceived essentials was TV. We bought one, and it's barely been out of the box. I haven't missed it.

I also wanted access to a flushing toilet. Not in the van, that would be really unrealistic, just on site somewhere. Now I am happy to make use of a loo wherever I see one, or wee in a bush.

Here on site we have a chemical loo, but I mostly go to the top field to avoid emptying the loo too often. ;)

• I think when youve lived like it for a while you quickly realise how little of your old way of life you actually need or is of any benefit to you.

When you think the average household has 4 or 5 large rooms all filled with 'essential' clutter and only awake in it a few hours a day, 5 out of 7 days a week.Asleep most of the rest of the week and spend the entire weekend maintaining it and preparing for the next week ....and it all costs an arm and a leg...nah! give me a van/trailer anyday.

• I think the big thing about lifestyle is how that lifestyle came to you. If it was by your choice then you are generally happy with it. If it was forced on you by circumstances beyond your control that is a totally different matter.

Its the difference between feeling you are in control of your life or life is in control of you.

Many of the people on here, you sense their aura of independence and self confidence

• If I had a choice and enough income to sustain living in a house I would at least think about it. I miss having the tools for my work readily to hand (most are in a lockup more than ten miles away), I miss having a garden where I could try to grow at least some of my food. Moving everything around to set up some working space loses its attraction after a while too - I had a studio permanently set up and instruments at the ready when I lived in a house. However, I am for the first time in my life, able to live within my means, I don't have to spend all my waking hours worrying about not having enough work to pay the bills and I love living on my boat. I am not really tempted to change back, despite my grumbles.

• I'm not in my van full time yet but am living in a small one room cabin in some woods. Can't say I miss anything..the size hasn't bothered me at all you just adjust. I don't like it when my hose pipe freezes and can be a bit scary when it's very windy..had never realised how bendy trees are before =O

• nope, not a thing.

But I'm lucky, I have loads of outdoor space, an outdoor bath, solar, plenty of space to grow my own and a spring 10 min walk up the lane for drinking water.

Very little noise, no light pollution and I've loved it for the last 10 years and the only thing that will be changing is, I will be doing some travelling around the UK in the summer. :)

• Only times I've lived in a house it wasn't mine.....twas either with parents or a shared house.

I don't miss anything about shared (edit: accomodation) houses.

Flats, bedsits and rooms both with and without ensuite facilities were noisy and expensive to heat.

I do miss the outdoor space and shower and bath and washing machine and running water and easy cooking facilities.

• To All the people who say they miss Outside space, the whole world is your garden.

I kinda understand the not being able to grow food,if You're round the same area for work ect get an allotment. I would but im a meatetarian n cant get the sausage plants to sprout

• Trouble is you kind of have to hang around at least nine months of the year to grow veg...or all year if youve chicken or sausage plants.

In most areas theres a few years waiting list for an allotment.

When ive got my awning up i can grow tomato and pepper plants but if I cant grow my own stuff i hunt round village back lanes,theres usually someone with a board out with surplus garden veg for sale in summer.

• Allotments are like gold dust round here now, they have become very fashionable. Twenty years ago they were all falling derelict as the old boys died and nobody took them on. Not now, having an allotment is considered cool

• The last time I was living as a nomad was 31 yrs ago,for nearly 3 yrs,when I had my first baby.It was'nt in this country either,so no idea whats its like in the UK.I think if I were contemplating taking the nomadic lifestyle choice,I would write down a list of pro's and con's and go from there.I enjoyed it at the time,and it was a good experience,however,when I became pregnant with our second child,we decided to return to a more "normal"lifestyle and brought our own house.Sometimes now,we get an urge to just hit the road,have even discussed it,taking a year out and travelling.Whether we'll actually do it,I don't know.I would like to think if we did though,we'd have the security of coming back to our own house.

• I don't know if this counts exactly....

Until yesterday, I lived in a pokey room in academic halls most of the year.

For the first 2 years I never really saw my other room-mates unless I was in the shared kitchen.

In this last term I ended up with a girl who even moaned at our other blind room mate for not wiping down spills or stains in the kitchen, and PROPPED A FREAKING FIRE DOOR OPEN WITH A FIRE EXTINGUISHER! - CONTINUOUSLY! - no matter how many times I pointed out that, yeah, they would mind.

I missed:

A bath and a decent shower.

A decent cooker - halls one was loathsome hob with all the knob markers worn of so you hadn't a clue what you were turning on or how far until you got used to it. Couldn't even find it online - it was ancient.

A decent freezer - seal was knackered, kept going hard, letting air in and freezer iced up and needed defrosted or the door wouldn't shut.

Try telling two other students in their late teens/early twenties you need to defrost a freaking freezer - now! One decided I broke it.

My cat

My dog

The dog snoring

My husband

(in no particular order....)

Being warm when I wanted to be, not when the heating came on.

• Yes...I too miss a freezer very much from a budget perspective and quick chilling of fun drinks.

Forgot they even existed!

Zendaze, you wouldn't have missed the freezer we had in the halls! I put in 3 maintenance reports about the sh*tty thing.

One explicitly told them the fault.

• Oh Em..

I can track the progress of food technology through chips.

When I was a kid my mum (who loathes and can't cook) made real chips, then oven chips came out - I got oven chips, then micro chips came out - I got microwave chips.

Now, I know all the really good chip shops - If you are ever near Banff try 'The Lighthouse'