ITS CHRISTMASSSSSSS!!!!!

• I find Christmas pudding just about palatable with brandy sauce or custard, but if we like it that much why not eat it all through the year? The same goes for mince pies.

• Same here Duckman. I need loads of custard with the tiniest amount of xmas pud. Or cake.

I'm not a fan of pudding or the dark heavy Christmas cake. If you don't like a heavier christmas cake it might be worth trying this - it also tastes nice as an alcoholic fruit cake for any occasion - it isn't dark.

It is worth finding the pineapple and green glace cherries and I use vodka for preference. You can get nice citrus vodkas that make this cake special.

There is never any of this left over.

Australian White Christmas Cake .

Ingredients

350g (12oz) dried apricots

200g glace pineapple

200g glace cherries

200g sultanas

125g mixed chopped peel

100g glace ginger

45ml dry sherry (or vodka)

250g unsalted butter

250g caster sugar

5 medium eggs, beaten

300g self-raising flour

40g desiccated coconut

Finely grated zest of 1 lemon

100g blanched almonds, chopped

Method

Roughly chop the apricots, pineapple and cherries. Place into a large bowl with the sultanas, mixed peel and ginger. Stir in the dry sherry/vodka. Cover the bowl and leave to soak overnight. Preheat the oven to 170C, 325F, Gas Mark 4. Grease and line a 23cm (9 inch) round deep cake tin. Place the butter in a large mixing bowl and beat until softened. Add the sugar and beat until the mixture turns pale and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs Fold the flour into the mixture

Stir in the coconut, lemon zest and chopped almonds, then add the soaked fruits and stir well. Pour the mixture into the lined tin and spread evenly Make a slight hollow in the top of the cake with the back of a spoon to ensure the cake rises evenly. Place in the centre of the oven and bake for approx 30 mins, then lower the temperature to 150C, 300F, Gas Mark 2. Cover the top of the cake with loose foil and bake for a further 1 to 1 ¼ hours, or until the cake is firm to the touch. Cool in the tin for approx 1 hour, then turn out onto a cooling rack.

Enjoy. 8o Next to Delia's Carrot Cake and Beetroot and dark choc, it is one of our faves.

• members with more than five posts will not see this advert

• Merry Christmas one and all.

If you dont like Christmas then make it your own this year by celebrating it in a way that is more suited to you.

Christmas comes around every year so You grumpy ones had better get used to it.

Reinvent your Christmas and make it a good one. :-)

• Only 363 days to Christmas or fly off to Russia,Christmas is Jan 7 ...but you can still enjoy that age old bizarre western custom of standing in long queues to shop and fighting with complete strangers for those cheap boxing day bargains.... :insane:

• :P I was going to wish you a belated happy birthday (belated happy birthday by the way...), then you reminded me that I have to survive the madding hordes at the sales for my husband's birthday on the 28th.

No idea what I will have missed yet, but there will be something....

• Christmas tree is still in a box in the attic with the rest of the kit.

Josh put lights up last year around our mirror above the fireplace - that was it.

Actually, the BOX is in the attic - god knows what is in it.

The cat is the only one who ever goes in there frequently, she could have been selling off the decorations to the neighbouring moggies for years - why I don't know.