Any redeeming features of the Thatcher era?

• no dout cost of running a pub, smoking ban is down to alot of pubs shutting but there is a different culture now very few people go out every night

Sadly folks are slowly becoming more insular or isolated due to the internet, television ect as tastes change much to the detriment of society. As a kid neighbours were always visiting for tea or a catch-up but not today or at least not where I live.

• I have mixed views unfortunately , yes I despised her and her governments actions towards coal miners and travellers,stopping free milk for kids,poll tax,CJB etc etc , but at the same time I am typing this from a room in an ex council house that she allowed my father to buy, if he was still renting then the bedroom tax would have him rehoused , his health is poor (hence me being stuck here) so he would have been moved again to residential care.

As it stands I get to inherit this extended 3 bedroom semi with off road parking for 3 trucks /5 cars, garage and garden.

My eldest daughter is 30 next week and paying 800 rent a month with her partner ,other daughter is 28,her and her husband are paying 750 quid a month so its gonna be a nice buffer/sanctuary if the shit hits the fan for either of them ,also got an 18 year old boychild somewhere in Spain with no prospect of getting on the fabled 'ladder'.

• no dout cost of running a pub, smoking ban is down to alot of pubs shutting but there is a different culture now very few people go out every night

Alcohol consumption is way higher now per head than it was in Maggies day but people don't go in pubs to consume it any more. They sit at home and drink it.

Go in any supermarket and see what percentage of their shelf space is cheap booze.

Back then I don't think they even sold drink in Sainsburys or Tesco.

The thing that destroyed the pubs for me was when they got rid of the bands that used to play in them and filled the space with gaming machines instead.

I liked a music pub, even if the bands weren't always that good, they had atmosphere.

What you think of Maggie is geographical, here in London everybody thought she was the best thing since sliced bread. A strong woman who got things done, I never heard anybody say anything bad or negative about her.

• Alcohol consumption is way higher now per head than it was in Maggies day but people don't go in pubs to consume it any more. They sit at home and drink it.

Go in any supermarket and see what percentage of their shelf space is cheap booze.

Back then I don't think they even sold drink in Sainsburys or Tesco.

They did , there just were not that many supermatkets , I remember cycling 15 miles to Basildon in 1975 to buy cider while under age from a supermarket. There were a lot off off licences too , but they were a harder nut to crack for a youngster