47kg gas bottle prices​

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Butane is supplied with those indoor room heaters and barbeques. They often only get used a few times before they are left out for scrap with a best part of full bottle. At least, thats the case round here! Like AW ive got a pile of them now and have given a couple away.

Ive found a good use for them is refilling the 907 camping gaz bottles that all the T5 owners seem to use. They readily pay £10 or even £15 for a full one (approx 2.5 kilo of gas!)

Energas dont require a deposit or exchange bottle for their 19 and 47 bottles if you have a branch near you.

• Ive found a good use for them is refilling the 907 camping gaz bottles that all the T5 owners seem to use. They readily pay £10 or even £15 for a full one (approx 2.5 kilo of gas!)

When I got Bubbles it came with a 47kg but only place for it was almost flat in the 'beaver tail' so I thought sod hauling it out and putting it back everytime I wanted to use the hob, so I considered a 907 to use inside and fill it from the big one , a bit of research put me off so I just opted fot a 15 kg bottles stowed upright in there. People I got the 15 from took the empty 47 and said I could swap back anytime . They deliver locally (same day sometimes) for cash on delivery I think I paid 27 quid for last one ?

• I dont find the 47's very convenient because of their awkward size and weight so I use 19kg propane they stow away better, theyre 26.80 delivered (flogas).

Why anyone bothers with the tiny 907s I dont know,theyre rediculously expensive.

Di occhi belli ne è pieno il mondo,ma di occhi che ti guardano con sincerità e amore, c'è ne sono pochi. :hippy:

• I’ve got a part full 907 again cheap off carboot. I had toyed with re-filling it/them for my own use, as often I like a remote cooking area set up outside, independent of the vehicle, so I carry around two bottle sources of gas. If I’m going to be lugging it in and out of the vehicle, smaller/lighter the better. I try to have a kettle boiling station set up outside under the windout awning or a brolly. It saves me steaming up inside the vehicle when I’m busy outside or around camp. A bit safer than leaving internal, built in gas stove on with kids running in and out, playing in the vehicle when I’m outside.

I’ve watched lots of videos (YouTube) on bottle refilling and so long as we take care and have the right connections etc, it’s ok. They say put the 907empty cylinder in the fridge/freezer for a bit to reduce cylinder temperature. This allows for squeezing in more gas into the cylinder that’s being filled. There’s some science that explains why this helps.

• Why anyone bothers with the tiny 907s I dont know,theyre rediculously expensive.

In my experience with t4/t5 owners you can point out the inadequacies of pretty much anything from 907 bottles, pop top roofs, bubble insulation and they'll look at you like you're an idiot and buy the same thing that everyone else has put in theirs.

Also, the units that they buy to convert have the worlds smallest cupboard for the gas bottle so its pretty much the only thing that will fit.

That said, whilst they are paying good money for refills im more than happy to supply them. A regular customer also buys nylon sacks (tatty bag size from bss) of precut pallet wood at a fiver a time for his firepit. One pallet fills a big with some left over and its 5 mins work tops.

The firepit is a washing machine drum bolted to the pulley with a bit of pipe inbetween. He also happily gave £30 to me for that!

• for my next vehicle conversion I’ve bought a gas regulator bottle splitter/isolator. So I will run two smaller bottles side by side. Then just switch over when running empty. I paid £45 off eBay for the first and best split regulator. New pipes etc. The 2nd set I’ve got, I bought a lot cheaper from the boot sales. Maybe less than a tenner that set cost me.

• I’ve got a part full 907 again cheap off carboot. I had toyed with re-filling it/them for my own use, as often I like a remote cooking area set up outside, independent of the vehicle, so I carry around two bottle sources of gas. If I’m going to be lugging it in and out of the vehicle, smaller/lighter the better. I try to have a kettle boiling station set up outside under the windout awning or a brolly. It saves me steaming up inside the vehicle when I’m busy outside or around camp. A bit safer than leaving internal, built in gas stove on with kids running in and out, playing in the vehicle when I’m outside.

I’ve watched lots of videos (YouTube) on bottle refilling and so long as we take care and have the right connections etc, it’s ok. They say put the 907empty cylinder in the fridge/freezer for a bit to reduce cylinder temperature. This allows for squeezing in more gas into the cylinder that’s being filled. There’s some science that explains why this helps.

You dont need to, freezing will only help if there is some liquid left in the bottle as it will lower the vapour pressure in comparison to your filling bottle. Youll get the same result pouring a kettle of boiling water over your full bottle although neither is necessary. You can fill a bottle in less than 5 minutes with both the same temp as you invert the full bottle so that you are filling with liquid.

You will need a couple of adapters, one is easily made the other easily bought. You dont need high pressure hose, butane is approx 40psi at average outdoor temp.

Ill post a pic of my filling hose sometime, and at some point even if its next year show you how to go about filling them safely.

Ideally a pair of digital kitchen scales is required as well as the adapter hose as the correct way to fill them is by weight.

• Retail for the 907 refill only is around £40 the price in go outdoors is 34.99 thats just stupid for how little gas you get.

If i was stuck for locker space id get a 4.5 kg and standard reg.

But more likely be far cheaper fitting a refillable system underneath.

'Fool and his money' I guess.

Di occhi belli ne è pieno il mondo,ma di occhi che ti guardano con sincerità e amore, c'è ne sono pochi. :hippy:

• Retail for the 907 refill only is around £40 the price in go outdoors is 34.99 thats just stupid for how little gas you get.

If i was stuck for locker space id get a 4.5 kg and standard reg.

Thanks! I didnt realise they were that much, thought they were only £25 to £30 ish. My prices have just gone up to £20 a refill!

Some of the lockers are that small you cant get the 4.5 in! As you say, the 4.5 or even the 7 kilo and an external reg would be better..

• I’ve not tried to re-fill any cylinders before myself. Other than a WD40 spray can that ran out of gas but was still half full of WD40. I decanted a bit of lighter fuel gas back into the WD40 can. It worked a treat. I do now have that bomb blanket for extra peace of mind. :whistle:and experimentation.

• Make more sense having an external and fly lead or underslung refillable.

Then again i wouldnt pay the stupid money some companies charge to convert T's to campers.

Think of a figure, treble it and reel em in.

• Ideally a pair of digital kitchen scales is required as well as the adapter hose as the correct way to fill them is by weight.

Glad you mentioned the scales , thats pretty much what I was inferring when I said that researching filling them myself put me off , them bottles have a max weight for a good reason and exceeding that weight of gas in that sized container can cause explosive problems (more fecking numbers and maths !!)...

• You can get away without them, its not ideal but its possible. Easiest way - when you have a full bottle is drop it in water and mark the level it floats at. When you refill keep checking and stop an inch below this mark (with your hose disconnected) and you'll be pretty safe.

That said, there really isnt any substitution for checking the weight. The bottle will have a tare weight stamped on it, this added to the weight of the liquid you are putting in it is the total you are looking for on your scales. I always slightly underfill the bottles (2.6 kg) to take account of the flex of the hose which may cause innacuracies.

• You can get away without them, its not ideal but its possible. Easiest way - when you have a full bottle is drop it in water and mark the level it floats at. When you refill keep checking and stop an inch below this mark (with your hose disconnected) and you'll be pretty safe.

That said, there really isnt any substitution for checking the weight. The bottle will have a tare weight stamped on it, this added to the weight of the liquid you are putting in it is the total you are looking for on your scales. I always slightly underfill the bottles (2.6 kg) to take account of the flex of the hose which may cause innacuracies.

Is that fresh water or salt water ? 8o

(no need to reply, its just an eaxample of the shite I would post in a chat room :)

• Was speaking to a t5 owner last weekend, £3800 to fit a pop top so they could stand up. I tried to explain for the price of the t5 and pop top they could have bought a much newer crafter and had loads more space but it was lost on them

I know,I dont thing theres anything wrong with T's theyre just way over priced.

If I was spending money on a VW id get a krafter or LT46 XLWB and probably for half the price of a T5

• not only have I noticed I've fell for it

Cheers! If i was ever regarded as normal, or sensible i would be quite offended!

don't you mean a VW owner and his money?

Guy at work just paid £30k for one. Has since had a pop top fitted, awning rail, heater and now having it modded with two extra beds so he can get his kids in it. Why the fuck would you pay that much for something that wasn't even suitable? Oh yeah, i remember - coz youse a fucking idiot

This is the same cunt who was taking the piss (so i found out today) out of the modded commode i fitted so the missus could have a piss in relative comfort without playing her back up.

Tolerance and swear filter turned off. Not my best day at work.

• Not any more, twunts from Flo Gas have just taken them over today and are wanting £58.31

Thats the main thing that pisses me off with Flogas,they charge different prices to everyone.I cant get 47s off Flogas for less than £68 inc free delivery but 19s I pay 26.80 inc delivery yet the dealer I used to get them from has to pay £33 wholesale off Flogas.

If I drive to Teeside i can get the 47's for £ 45 :shock:

Calor 47s here are £88

• This is the same cunt who was taking the piss (so i found out today) out of the modded commode i fitted so the missus could have a piss in relative comfort without playing her back up.

Tolerance and swear filter turned off. Not my best day at work.

A day at work without explaining to at least one person why their a cunt is a day wasted.

There's a reason I pay labourers well