Spiritual health whilst trapped in the rat race

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Hey everyone. Quick throwback: I use to be very 'spiritual' - regardless of my own unhelpful preconceptions. I was always positive, incredibly empathetic and constantly out in nature.

During a period 'between jobs' my days consisted of an early rise in the morning, an 8 mile run through the countryside and day of minimal consumption and maximum meditation.

During this time simply through meditation I discover veganism, I constantly lucid dreamt and started having OBE's/astral projections.

Today I work 8.5 hpd commute for 2hpd and feel soo far from my center.

I feel like the supposed 'normal' western lifestyle is completely detrimental to spiritual growth and well being.

How do you guys cope with this?/does anyone have any advice at all. I'd really appreciate it x

-- Posted from the UKHippy mobile app --

• Havent you answered your own question ? dont live a 'normal' western lifestyle. You dont hsve to work 9-5 and waste 2 hrs commuting to live a healthy life...unless of course you want to tie yourself to property debt trap.
    Find something you like and want to do money is secondary. Work to live not live to work.

• Surely being spiritual doesn't depend on where you live. Is it an internal thing? I don't know, but it seems to me it would depend on ones beliefs, values, etc? True though: life swallows up everything if you aren't mindful.

No, it doesn't matter where I live but I know that my current lifestyle isn't conducive to spiritual growth or mental well-being.

I suppose im struggling to be mindful in my current life.

• No, it doesn't matter where I live but I know that my current lifestyle isn't conducive to spiritual growth or mental well-being.

I suppose im struggling to be mindful in my current life.

I know the feeling.. its hard enough just to stay afloat with the everyday stuff. Keep at it though - think how lovely it'll be when you leave it all behind. Good luck!

• what I'm trying to say is that it sounds like you're trying to tell us that you're not enjoying your current situation.
    So is there anything you can do to resolve that? Are you concentrating too much on future goals and ingnoring here and now so to speak
    What would make you feel more spiritual? what would make you re-connect yourself?

Perhaps you could make time to re-discover those things.

• OK so youre working toward a goal of leaving your current lifestyle so youre limited.However if you take out 11 hours work/commuting and 8hrs sleep (in theory) you still have 5 hrs in which to address some of your spiritual needs and (I assume)an entire weekend.Time you can use to forget your workday routine and be you or get away completely and go camping or hiking or do whatever it is thst gives you back some spiritual regrowth.
    Could you change job to one locally thst may not pay as well but your routine isnt communting and paying out to commute.

I worked 12 hour shifts in a stressful health environment but I always made sure I took off my work persona when I got out of work and be me.Because of the job it eas pretty essential to leave it behind.

I always returned to where im always most relaxed- in the outdoors mostly remote places or on the water.
    Since ive left full time work im much happier overall even though im on a tiny fraction of my previous income.

Only you know whats missing in your life and really only you can provide an answer.You.have your goal sorted so you need yo look at making changes in your current routine to give you some of what you need in the interim.

• OK so youre working toward a goal of leaving your current lifestyle so youre limited.However if you take out 11 hours wirk/commuting and 8hrs sleep (in theory) you still have 5 hrs in which to address some of your spiritual needs and (I assume)an entire weekend.Time you can use to forget your workday routine and be you or get awsy completely and go camping or hiking or do whatever it is thst gives you back some spiritual regrowth.
    Could you change job to one locally thst may npt pay as well but your routine isnt communting and paying out to commute.
    Only you know whats missing in your life and really only you can provide an answer.You.have your goal sorted so you need yo look at making changes in your current routine to give you some of what you need in the interim.

Really good advice. Thanks x

• On a different tack you said in your OP you do /did maximum meditation. I dont know what that means or if you achieved what you were seeking from it but like sleep- too much and the wrong kind- may apply to meditation. I think 20 mins twice a day is usually recommended. I know more experienced meditators do longer and some traditions recommend longer still but I think you have to find a balance of what does you the most good.

The physiology behind meditation is promoting certain types of brainwaves to become dominant.All five brainwave types exist at the same time but promotion of 3 types is what happens in meditation - Alpha Theta and Delta which are the range between 14 cycles per second in Alpha and 1to 3.5 in Delta
    Alpha and Theta being the range of relaxation reflection regeneration dreamlike and Delta being deep relaxation unconscious zero thought state we experience in deep sleep.
    Depending on the purpose of your.meditation- dreamlike or absolute emptiness of mind is dependent on what waves become dominant during your meditation.
    Its very difficult to be in Delta without being asleep but masters in meditation will achieve it.Any state where those 3 waves become dominant is going to leave you feeling relaxed rejuvenated and promote a feeling of well being.You dont need long periods of meditation to promote that and can be done anywhere there are no distractions so not having enough time -an excuse many people use - is not a valid one.

Meditation states and brsinwave types can be promoted by phased tones of music -there are apps that do this as you probably know - its no coincidence that some kinds of music ie Indian classical have a Tampura drone background in the alpha and theta range that tends to promote a reflective dreamlike ambience in the listener and the listener is seduced and more deeply emotional connected to the piece and less aware of distractions around him/her especially in the more reflective music involving the Bansuri ( bamboo flute.)..whether the ancients who developed meditation knew about brainwaves we dont know but they knew how to promote the relevant states and musical composers knew how to use music to this end and still.do ...all clever stuff.

• I work 4 on 4 off,and spend a small amount of time at work being mindful,then 10 mins of meditation after dinner.4 off I spend more time being mindful,practising yoga,heading out for long treks,embracing nature as much as possible.I'm not on any spiritual path (been there and done it).The thing is,if your mind is always "out there"(past or future)you're missing the most important part of your life...the present!

No point in keep thinking "When I'm living (insert country of choice),when I have a better job....when I have the life I want,only then will I be happy"!Just try and enjoy the now time.

Yes plan for the future,but don't live in it.:)

• I work 4 on 4 off,and spend a small amount of time at work being mindful,then 10 mins of meditation after dinner.4 off I spend more time being mindful,practising yoga,heading out for long treks,embracing nature as much as possible.I'm not on any spiritual path (been there and done it).The thing is,if your mind is always "out there"(past or future)you're missing the most important part of your life...the present!

No point in keep thinking "When I'm living (insert country of choice),when I have a better job....when I have the life I want,only then will I be happy"!Just try and enjoy the now time.

Sooooo True Cobra And Really Truly Felt And Said In An Easy Simple Understanding Way Because All Spiritual Things Should Be Simple And Natural And Easily Flow And Be About What You Have Now ..Not About What You Want In The Future.

Because Once You Start Making Your Spirirual And Mental WellBeing Rely On Things Or Places Or Jobs And Money And People....Then You Loose Your Inner Love And Inner Peace And Inner Happiness Etc ....Because You Have To Learn To Be Happy And Feel Peace In The Here And Now And With What You Have Now Be It A Little Or A Lot You Have To Find Your Happiness And Peace And Wellbeing .Within Yourself No Matter Your Wants Or What You Seek Because Then You Will Always Have Happiness And Spiritual Well Being And Spiritual Awareness No Matter Where You Are Or What You Have And Want ...Because They Are Just "Things" And Dont Come From Within You ...So Focus On Yourself And "Inner Self" Happiness And Peace First And Learn To Find That And Feel That Before You Seek Your "Outer Self" ...And Your "Wants" What you Think Will Make You Happy And More Spiritually Wellbeing Happt Etc

Because True Spiritual Wellbeing Etc Has And Can Only Come From Inside Your Mind Heart ..Body ..Spirit ...And Your "Outer Wants And Desires Do NOT Come From Within You ..Nope Nada Nay ...They Are MAN MADE And MANS Thoughts And Wants ..What You Think And Believe Will Make You Happy And Help You Meditate And Connect With Spirit Etc ...When In Fact The ONLY Thing You Need IS WITHIN YOURSELF Not What You Want And Seek OUTSIDE YOURSELF ...If That Kinda Makes Sense ....

And Once You Learn That And Have That You WILL ALWAYS BE HAPPY AND AT PEACE In Mind ..Body ..Heart .Spirit ...No Matter What You Do Or Dont Have Or Where You Be Or Not Be .Etc :)

So Thats My Advice Even Though It My Words Might Be Muddling As Its Hard To Try To Sort Of Put Into Words Because I Naturally Flow That Way Finding Right English Words Is Kinda Muddlings For Me hahaha:)

So I Wish You Love And Peace And Happiness On Your Journey :)))

Thats perfect advice. Thanks :)

• I am never spiritually happy within the rat race - how can one be so when feeding a soul-less machine such as capitalism and consumerism. Their existence is opposed to any form of spiritual wellbeing that one can only struggle.

Better to have no money and the men in suits waiting to take it than feed their greed.

• I'm spiritually happy at work because I'm working towards a better future for myself,and thats a good enough reason right now for me to continue working.I also want to claim a full pension,and I can only do that,if I clock up enough NI contributions(You have to have worked 35 yrs to claim a full pension)Plus I have a private pension fund.Even if I end up living off grid(Which is my aim)I can't guarantee I can be totally self suff without any outside financial help (pension).