Las Vegas - Mass Shooting

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• How many of the gun deaths recorded in america each year are gang related or carried out by a criminal or the police?

Do you think these people are going to take any notice of gun control measures?

Paul

what about kids , would they take note ...

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/06…violence-study/index.html

surely its a lot more difficult to accidentally shoot ya sibling if there aint a loaded gun in mommy and daddies wardrobe / car / shed ........

• surely its a lot more difficult to accidentally shoot ya sibling if there aint a loaded gun in mommy and daddies wardrobe / car / shed ........

Totally agree with that. The owning of the guns isnt the problem though.

Its the irresponsible ownership,storage and the lax attitude to gun safety that causes those problems. As said before, responsible gun ownership is not in itself a problem.

• I agree Rick
    If you leave medication on the coffee table then expect your kids to think they are sweets. If you leave bleach on the bottom shelf of an unlocked cupboard then expect you kids to drink it.

If you leave a loaded gun hanging around then kids will play cowboy with it.

Just because you have a few stupid people we should not take away the liberties of the majority of sensible people.

paul

• Well the plot sickens , although fully automatic weapons are not allowed, semi-autos are , as is a small device that makes a semi fire like a full auto called a 'bump stock' .......

People over there say the second amendment can not be changed. The first course of action would be to suggest they buy a dictionary and actually learn what the word amendmant means.

• How many of the gun deaths recorded in america each year are gang related or carried out by a criminal or the police?

Do you think these people are going to take any notice of gun control measures?

Paul

They might not take notice but surely having stricter gun controls would make it less easy for criminals to get their hands on them in the first place.

• They might not take notice but surely having stricter gun controls would make it less easy for criminals to get their hands on them in the first place.

We have strict gun controls in this country. I know of 2 people in Grimsby who for a couple of hundred will supply you no questions asked. The problem with criminals is that they don't obey the law.

• The same problemstic issues over gun.proliferation and use- the perception youre safer with having one to.protect yourself/family thats leading to more people being killed year on year in the US and is the same one affecting the issue of knives and proliferation of knife crime in this country.
    More people -especially youngsters - are carrying knives around because they think theyre safer doing so..The.mentality.is I.might get stabbed if im out so if i carry a knife i wont or I can stab the attacker back.

Knife crime.in the uk has got to around 37000 incidents a year and a lot of that driven until very recently.by the ease for youngsters being able to buy ferocious blade weaponry.on tne intermet or from high street stores.
    If we had the same lax gun laws as the US those kids would most likely be carrying guns instead..just ss their peers do over in the US.
    I dont know why some sort of scary weaponised wild west society is prefersble to one where weapons are kept to a minimum snd in responsible hands only,by proper laws and policing....except that people are hung up in their personal rights to own a dangerous weapon if they want one.

Weapons will always get into the hsnds of people who shouldnt have them -even under draconian military law weapons get smuggled- but you at least reduce the volume in circulation and keep gun crime to a minimum.
    If youve no controls and its easy for anyone to buy and use a gun well youve got the kind of violent society you deserve,frankly.
    I would have less of an issue if there was some kind of trained military reserve or national guard amongst the civilian population who owned appropriate weapons but not a free for all just csuse its 'my democratic right'

• I think the thing about Las Vegas shooting is the amount of ammunition he was able to get through and the consequencial number of people he was able to hit. This is because he was effectively machine gunning the crowd. You can hear it on the newsreels

The same madman with a bolt action rifle, only able to fire one shot at a time, would not have been able to get off anywhere near that number of rounds

• Violent crime had fallen overall.since Australia tightened.its gun lawas http://www.factcheck.org/2009/05/gun-control-in-australia/
    Stanford research i the US has debunked the NRA assertion that open carry and more guns = less crime https://www.thetrace.org/2017/…o-carry-laws-crime-rates/

But no amount of logic or data will sweep away paranoia about crime and the perceptions of how safe or dangerous a society is.

Having a wespon doesnt necessarily make you safer especially if people can take it from you and use it against you

Id rather see Krav Maga self defence (which is dangerous in itself)routinely taught than open the doors to a weapons free for all.

• Post by zendaze ().

The post was deleted, no further information is available.
  • Don't know how to do the partial quote thing soz.

Agree UK police should all carry firearms.

Agree police can potentially be used as a weapon of the state.

Agree firearms should be more available to UK citizens.

I was surprised to discover weapons laws in Nevada so lax. My previous presumption had been that all states banned legal ownership of fully automatic firearms and that registration was required for all guns .....further surprised to discover no special licence needed for personal carry.

I'm never in favour of changes that afford the furthering of elitism but legal, private ownership of fully automatic firearms is a step beyond my thinking.

• Agree UK police should all carry firearms.

Agree about the police but i don't think guns should be more available for civilians...is a slippery slope. After being brought up in Belfast where the police are armed to the teeth with flak jackets on, i couldn't believe the first policeman i saw over here. He was wearing a t shirt and had one of those funny hats on and no gun...at first i honestly thought it was someone in fancy dress for a hen party :D

• I don't think there is an answer. We may get an insight into this individuals motive. If he confided in his partner or she can think of a incident that could have caused his behaviour to change. A racist remark or derogatory comment about his relationship with a foreigner could be all it took.

• The same madman with a bolt action rifle, only able to fire one shot at a time, would not have been able to get off anywhere near that number of rounds

The other side of that argument being that with a bolt action every shot would be placed on target. Plus you can rack a surprising amount of rounds through a bolt action rifle relatively quickly.

• I would not want to live in a society where only the police and the criminals were armed.

If you arm the police you also need to to arm the general public

Paul

The general public lack the training to keep and use firearms responsibly, all the people that do have fire arms such as the police undergo rigorous training and assessment so they can use firearms safely and competently enough.

• Its All Sooo Very..Very...Heartbreakingly Sad:(((
    People Are Simply Trying To Enjoy Life And Share Good Happy Times With One Another....And The Next Minute Its Either A Cowardly Evil Act Of Terrorism Or A Cowardly Evil Crazed Shooter Gunman Taking There Innocent Lifes And Destroying The Lives Of There Families/Loved Ones/Friends Etc Too....In Such A Cruel Evil Cowardly Way:((((....

The World Seems To Be Sooo Full Of Hate..Violence..And Evil Diagusting Cowards Who Care Not What They Do To
    "Man/Woman/Child/Families/Friends/Animals /Earth Etc Etc.

They Feel Not The Death The Fear The Pain The Hurt The Heataches Etc Of Any Living Being On This Earth..:(((
    As They Take Life ..End Life ..Kill Life...Destroy Life Etc.

Noooo They Feel Nothing But HATE....And Thrive Of Peoples Pain Heartaches Fears Etc.
    ..Nooo They Just Feel And Want The Power The Glory They Believe These Evil Cruel Cowardly Disgusting Things Make Them Have And Feel:((
    Yet All The Be Are Truly Just "EVIL COWARDS" Who Hide Behind There Beliefs ..There Sick Evil Twisted Hateful Thoughts....Nope...They Not Be 'A Man..Not A Human Being" etc etc For All They Truly Are And Be Are
    "COWARDLY EVIL NOTHINGS" .:((

My Heart And Thoughts Are With And Will Always Be With The Families/Loved Ones/Friends Etc Of All The Innocent Beautiful People Who Lifes Were And Have Been Taken And Destroyed That Terrible Day By Such A Cruel Evil Coward :(((

• The general public lack the training to keep and use firearms responsibly, all the people that do have fire arms such as the police undergo rigorous training and assessment so they can use firearms safely and competently enough.

I don't trust the police with a tazerlet alone a gun. I have very little faith in the police and I find the prospect of the british bobby with a gun terrifying.

Paul

• There are more guns than people in the U.S....impossible to confiscate. Banning them won't do anything. Congress is now considering banning "bump stocks" that make assault weapons automatic. We are the only country in the world that they are legal.

The only thing that could work, is to ban bullets and gunpowder. But that is impossible now because of the gun mentality and the NRA in America.

• Considering what the great british public already does with beer glasses, broken bottles,knives, machetes,axe,hammers, pool cues,bats sharpened chains and a whole.load of other specially created death devices im sure a load of guns will make us all feel much safer. Britain is half way to mad max and the pleasure dome so why not go the whole way ...last man standing....

Meanwhile ill emigrate to Italy or NZ ,Even Italy with its cosa nostra isnt as paranoid as this place...you can hide with your guns in your manky paranoid country.