How to: downsize, clear crap, store shit - any tips

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• You know all that crap you fill your home with (if you're not on the road already and have no static space) - all those possibilities and unfinished projects, things that might come in useful, that you can't chuck or quite give away.

How the hell do you get a strategy together for clearing the debris and only keeping the very important stuff.
    Bit of a mind fuck.....any lessons learned that could be shared......very much appreciated.

I s'pose it's either a zen riddle - or a very practical issue including the matter of dosh ..... but it doesn't seem that simple as everything is a ruddy moving target.

Just not sure whether it'll be only what I can carry on my back, what I can fit in a van, whether to rent storage to just dump everything in, or have a trailer, what about a patch of concrete with a container..... oh FFS - where do I start...tactics or flowcharts and estimated timescales welcome - but as I'm such an old bat, looking for a streamlined approach (apart from setting fire to myself) ha fuckin ha !!!

Maybe I just need to work on my brain a bit first :blow:xxx

• I did this 9 years ago now, stored stuff in a container, stuff I hadn't used within that 2 years got dumped, gave a lot of stuff to my daughter, stuff she use kept safe for me but found she had used and ruined.
    I JUST live with what I can carry in my van now. Probably still too much.
    I was paying for storage when I realised that if I wanted to go back to living in a house or caravan I could buy the stuff cheaper than what I had been paying for storage for 2 years plus stuff had got mouldy and smelling after that period so had to be dumped anyway so I'd been paying to store crap!

• Every now and again i have a purge and get rid of loads of stuff that i haven't used for months.

Then i see stuff in skips, car boots etc that is a "bargain" and end up filling the space again..

I blame my dad, he was a "it'll come in useful" man. Actually, i don't blame him, i wish i could thank him for it....

• Living in a van makes you realize the difference between needs and wants. In my van I have an emergency backpack that includes a toilet roll, penknife that has a can-opener on it, a gas-match, I keep cutlery,can opener and vegetable peeler in a plastic box with a lid.

• I did this 9 years ago now, stored stuff in a container, stuff I hadn't used within that 2 years got dumped, gave a lot of stuff to my daughter, stuff she use kept safe for me but found she had used and ruined.
    I JUST live with what I can carry in my van now. Probably still too much.
    I was paying for storage when I realised that if I wanted to go back to living in a house or caravan I could buy the stuff cheaper than what I had been paying for storage for 2 years plus stuff had got mouldy and smelling after that period so had to be dumped anyway so I'd been paying to store crap!

Mmmmmmmm well that is an excellent start......anything that can rot or rust, don't store it.....now then........maybe I need to try ebay the fucking lot - turn the stuff into metals and bury that and start from that premise: now what would I need, if I had absolutely jack shit ????? that's given me a new starting place in my addled mind.....which is groovy. Thanks Pheonix :hippy::D xxx

• Living in a van makes you realize the difference between needs and wants. In my van I have an emergency backpack that includes a toilet roll, penknife that has a can-opener on it, a gas-match, I keep cutlery,can opener and vegetable peeler in a plastic box with a lid.

Thanks Duckman - the survivalist approach would be a good start and work my way up through the needing to earn enough to live on crap that piles on top of that, thanks dude :hippy:xxx

I can use it as the start of a flowchart - and next work out what I could actually viably physically "do" that is of value as an age 62 woman (with the skills and resources I have) and what scale of thing I could work at space wise.......at the moment, physically working too big unless it were design work that could be prototyped, presented for production or kit form.

Already with suggestions so far I'm beginning to feel a bit better......ta folks xxx

• I've done this a lot as I've moved house a lot. In 2007 we downsized a 3 bed house containing a family of 4 to a 59ft narrowboat.......it was hard work but very cathartic.
    Since then other stuff has happened and now every single thing I own fits in a small bedroom or transit van.
    I have clothes and shoes, a few towels, a few changes of bed linen, some books and cds and dvds and important paperwork and photos and a memory box. Aside from toiletries which are being perpetually used and replenished that's about it. Oh no , there are a few bits of tatt and a few giraffes which I keepaid but all could fit into a small cardboard box.
    Sell stuff, give stuff to charity. Burn music to your laptop and store it on an external hard drive then sell the cds. Ditch any clothes you no longer wear or which realistically don't fit you.

Good luck. Once you get started its really good to do.

• Hi va got plenty knives and forks if you need any.... And don't forget you can always fall back on sex'n'pies .com too!

Oh man, you are such a fucking jester....but I'm loving your ideas.......so hang on to your knives and forks, we could make a band of raggle taggle gypsies yet - providing unusual solutions on the festival circuit !

Am going to have a word with Lucy and we'll continue our groovy wiccan art n bodywear stuff .........could be sex n pies on the side, or even cuddles with benefits n pies (with takeaway cutlery to wear around your neck at events - just in case you need eating irons on the hop ha ha ha ha ha.....love it Bigbear !

Waahay - life isn't looking nearly as grim as I thought yesterday :hippy::huglove:xxx

• I've done this a lot as I've moved house a lot. In 2007 we downsized a 3 bed house containing a family of 4 to a 59ft narrowboat.......it was hard work but very cathartic.
    Since then other stuff has happened and now every single thing I own fits in a small bedroom or transit van.
    I have clothes and shoes, a few towels, a few changes of bed linen, some books and cds and dvds and important paperwork and photos and a memory box. Aside from toiletries which are being perpetually used and replenished that's about it. Oh no , there are a few bits of tatt and a few giraffes which I keepaid but all could fit into a small cardboard box.
    Sell stuff, give stuff to charity. Burn music to your laptop and store it on an external hard drive then sell the cds. Ditch any clothes you no longer wear or which realistically don't fit you.

Good luck. Once you get started its really good to do.

Thanks Groove - that's amazingly encouraging and helpful - really really appreciate it :hippy::D:huglove:xxx

• Post by Bigbear67 ().

The post was deleted, no further information is available.
  • After 30 years of living in Andalucia, in June we had to reduce our tat so it could be packed into two small cars. It took some doing as we'd had plenty of space for collecting tat. In the preceeding months we'd had a blitz on different things, most of which other folk have already mentioned. Vids, CD's and DVD's had to be wanted enough for us to bother copying them to a hard drive. Clothes not used in the last year went to recycling, and then even some that had been used but weren't that essential. My wife found it real tough to reduce her book collection but she did it.

• After 30 years of living in Andalucia, in June we had to reduce our tat so it could be packed into two small cars. It took some doing as we'd had plenty of space for collecting tat. In the preceeding months we'd had a blitz on different things, most of which other folk have already mentioned. Vids, CD's and DVD's had to be wanted enough for us to bother copying them to a hard drive. Clothes not used in the last year went to recycling, and then even some that had been used but weren't that essential. My wife found it real tough to reduce her book collection but she did it.

Maybe a bit intrusive Chazz - but what you n your wife living in now, you back in Blighty or on a small planet none of us know about yet. Sounds like you've both really committed to simple radical living :D No worries, tell me to mind my own :hippy:x

• Post by Maxal ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves ().
  • Every day, take one item of 'crap' from your home and wrap it in gift wrap. Then hide it somewhere in public, with a tag, "a gift for you".

. . . alternatively . . . you don't have to wrap it, just hide your junk all over the place and let finders keep. If you have an unwanted barbie doll for instance, you could bury it up-side-down in a park, so just her legs are poping out. Or, creepily, so that just the face is showing.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha - love it man, you're as sick as me xxx
    god help the local environment !

• Post by Maxal ().

• . . . weird coincidence during a pleasant walk in the park . . .

Little fifi poodle does her business in the park. The owner stoops to pick and bag it. When she picks it up she notices that underneath fifi's poop is a tiny besmeared face. Surely that would spook?

The shrooms are working then?[emoji23][emoji23]

• . . . weird coincidence during a pleasant walk in the park . . .

Little fifi poodle does her business in the park. The owner stoops to pick and bag it. When she picks it up she notices that underneath fifi's poop is a tiny besmeared face. Surely that would spook?

NUNUNUNUNUNUNUNUNU !!!!!!!!! I must be reading yur post wrong - this hasn't just happened, naaaaaaaw ?

If you are serious - well all I can say is the Universe is being as much of a bastard on your ass as it is on mine - because the coincidences, synchronicitys and plain old wyrd shit that is going on in my life at the moment - is waaaaaay beyond any human understanding.............crazy daysies xxxxxxxxxxxxx hugs all round - lots of 'em, tight as fuck :huglove:Hanging on by a thread - but oh it's a strong one, must ha been made by spider brothers n sisters.

Thing is as well, that now I'm on the waggon - it seems to be accelerating the fucking madness.......NomadicRT was right, no steering no brakes no notion at all - GROOOOOOOOVY !!!!!!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha :hippy:

• You drying out Verti? Hugs [emoji847][emoji1360][emoji1360]keep it up..it can be done.

• Me too...for a straight n sober mind to imagine those things? [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

Yeah, that's when it gets really fucking scary (if you let it) 'cause you've no bloody excuse and no way of coming back down.

Maybe that's the point :hippy:.....stay naturally high permanently, mmmmmmmm good concept xxx

https://youtu.be/eeJ-z6lgojU

• Post by Maxal ().

• Post by Maxal ().