Soon to be homeless because I love my animals..

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• It amazes me still that in this day and age no privated rented properties allow pets.. Like bloody hell, how many people have at least one pet [emoji53]

I'm from Northern Ireland and moved last year to north Wales, very similar in vast open landscape and whatnot, you'd assume more often than not in these rural areas surrounded by farming that having a pet is a common thing.... :/

It's beyond me...

Anyway... Excuse the rant

Much Love

Sponge

• Have you thought about not saying anything about a pet? I know it's a bit of added stress but there are plenty of people that do it when their options are so limited. The landlord wouldn't ever know unless they lived nearby or were friends with the neighbours.
    I'm lucky enough to rent a place now where they'd let me have a petting zoo in my garden if I wanted, but I have had difficulty with this issue in the past so I know it's frustrating.
    You could try to just approach a potential landlord/estate agent and ask if they would consider pets, explain you have a well-behaved pet (I'm presuming) and say you'd be willing to pay more of a deposit and have the place professionally cleaned when you leave, they might surprise you.

• You could try speaking directly to the landlord, a friend of mine rented a flat that didn't allow pets but after asking the landlord directly they said it was fine.

• Most of the 'no pets no smokers no benefits' rules originate from the agents and because theyre so rigid many of the properties remain unlet for months.Agents are generally assholes. I can understand some farm properties not wanting dogs becsuse of livestock but those properties are few. Usually bypassing the agent and speaking to the landlord direct you can get more leeway.
    Ive previously had the same difficulty with having a huge dog and a cat in finding suitable rentals and have found properties by advertising in newspapers rather than going via agents.....but Ive lived in a trailer and done as I please for 10 years and see no reason to change.

• Another vote for van/caravan here. Do it quick before you lose your pets. If you're working you need to put some thought in to how the animals will be cared for during the day as metal hinges get very hot, it's doable though, many of us are.

• Landlords cannot be unreasonable when they decide if they allow pets or not, that is the law. So, if you have a pet that is causing no damage to property, no nuisance, no barking etc they have no reason to object.

• Landlords cannot be unreasonable when they decide if they allow pets or not, that is the law. So, if you have a pet that is causing no damage to property, no nuisance, no barking etc they have no reason to object.

They can object as it is their property, if it says no pets in your tenancy agreement and you have pets, you are in breach of your tenancy agreement and they can ask you to leave. There are a lot more landlords now opening up to the idea of pets as they have realised it gives them access to a larger market meaning they can find tenants quicker. Landlords do need to chill out and get with the times though, lots people have pets and are just as good as tenants as people without pets.

• Its in virtually all tenancy agreements automatically now because they are all downloaded from the same sources. Even if you don't agree with it you can surely understand why its there. Pets and smokers cause more wear and tear. Not all, of course, but how else can they decide?

The last tenant may have had fifteen incontinent cats or been running the place as a puppy farm for all you know

Pets can cause problems, its a fact, for the landlord its just the element of risk, if they can avoid it by getting a tenant with no pets, who doesn't smoke etc they will.

I'm sure if you ask, a reasonable request may be considered