Newbie to veganism

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Hi guys.
    I've decided to go vegan after reading some pretty distressing stuff about dairy farms. Trouble is I just don't know where to start. My husband is adamant he won't join me and he's going to continue eating meat. (He does the cooking so I don't have to deal with it). Thing is do I just have the meals he prepares but just cut out the meat? Or is there a easier way?

• Hi guys.
    I've decided to go vegan after reading some pretty distressing stuff about dairy farms. Trouble is I just don't know where to start. My husband is adamant he won't join me and he's going to continue eating meat. (He does the cooking so I don't have to deal with it). Thing is do I just have the meals he prepares but just cut out the meat? Or is there a easier way?

Vegan is no animal products at all, that's a big step straight away.
    I too read and watched many documentaries on nutrition before deciding what to do. I opted for plant based.
    Plant based doesn't rule out meat and dairy just the majority of your diet comes from plant based things like 90%. This makes it a little easier to fit in with society for myself if there isn't a plant based/vegan option I can opt for vegetarian (very rare tho).
    I am new to this way of eating too, I would say around May I converted, it was my other half that was already eating this way, and me being a stubborn male took about a year longer to see the better way of life.
    We find most of our recipes on pinterest by searching plant based or vegan followed by what you like eating. So lasagne, chilli, Thai curry, cheese cake, brownie, ice cream, the list goes on. They normally have pictures with ingredients and a how to guide so it's really easy. And don't forget you can pin them to your favourites too so it does make it easier to find again.
    Some things I must admit I loved and found it hard to give up was chocolate, however I found a company on Amazon and they sell the most amazing chocolate called callebaut. This is delicious and I can't tell the difference.
    As for the lack of meat and dairy in my life I can honestly say I haven't noticed I don't eat it any more. In fact I find cheese in vegetarian meals rather revolting, makes me gag, and I used to be a lover of strong cheese.
    Sorry I totally went off topic. Start with YouTube, pinterest or any other social media sites there are so many amazing recipes out there. One pot recipes are always easy to do too

• Thanks for the advice.
    I know I'm going to run into problems with my husband cooking. I've suggested for now he does the cooking as usual and I just don't eat the meat part. Obviously I'm going to get cross contamination but this seems a good compromise. I think the best thing to do would be to go vegetarian and then move over to vegan gradually. The idea of plant based appeals to me. I shall check out Pinterest forthwith!! Thanks for the advice.

• I wouldn't sweat the cross contamination issue too much for now - it may be an icky thought, but the most important thing is that you're not personally contributing to animal suffering.

I think "Plant based" is more of a health thing that used to be called dietary veganism - but in my experience most people who just do vegan for health reasons end up reverting after a while.

• I cut out all processed sugars and foods that vegans can eat. Its not just meat that's not meant to be eaten. All. These concentrated corn syrups and the likes of are not meant to be eaten either, designed by the food industry to make foods addictive and make you keep on coming back for more.
    Like I said in a previous post, I'm new to it too, i would love to cut all animal meat & bi-products our of my diet along with all processed sugar, starches and other additives. What category that puts me in I'm not too sure

• It's a different issue - veganism is a stance against the commodity status of animals; it's a liberation movement.

Some people claim you can go vegan for health or the environment, but nobody ever got healthy (and the environment won't improve) from avoiding zoos, animal tested products, horse riding, honey or wool (etc.)

Yes you'll be healthier from a plant based, sugar free diet, but you can also be vegan and eat really crap food (not recommended though).

• My main reason for quitting meat is the treatment of animals destined for food. This is my primary concern. I met someone who works for Bernard Mathews and he said oftentimes the birds are still alive during the meat harvesting process. This thought distresses me a great deal. After watching some of the videos recommended in the pinned post along with others I've found I cannot bear the thought of eating meat again. I will start with the no meat and then gradually change to no dairy and veganism as a ongoing process. Thank you. You have all been very helpful x

• Theres easy things you can do to start with that won't take much effort like get a dairy free margarine. They pretty much taste the same...Flora even do them now.

Would also recommend getting a selection of plant milks and try them all to see which you prefer. There's loads now...soya, almond, hazelnut, oat, rice, hemp. Might be best to go for the sweetened versions to start with as the unsweetened can be a bit of an acquired taste. They're all quite different....I use alpro soya in my tea/coffee and cereal as it has a slightly vanilla taste, and almond milk in porridge as its more thick and creamy.

There's lots of decent cheeses now too...tescos and sainsburies own brand are really nice...violife is another good one..

It's all quite daunting at the start but I promise it gets easier. Good luck! :)

• My cheese habit has been the easiest thing to kick. I'm not entirely cheese-free if I'm perfectly honest, ate a pizza last night but having stopped buying 'a piece of cheese' or having sandwiches etc. I've just not been that bothered. I thought this would be a major issue.

• Pizza express do a vegan cheese variety now but having tried it you're better off with the cheese-less one.

If you're making it at home you can make fake cheese like a white sauce; flour, milk substitute of your choice (mine is oatly), there are powders that are supposed to be cheesy but I prefer yeast flakes. I prefer my version to the shop stuff.

• I find Aldi to be pretty good. They stock a lot of 'accidentally' vegan food and I find their labelling very clear compared to some supermarkets. They don't do many meat alternatives which doesn't bother me as I try to avoid processed food (apart from the occasional Linda McCartney sausage) but their vegan essentials nuts/lentils etc are quite cheap and a lot of their breakfast cereals are vegan friendly unlike Kellogg's