Meet donkey

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• You might be better off blanking off some of the windows to make it warmer.in winter/cooler in summer......dont forget to fit the garden pool though.

Im planning on doing away with half the windows and making bubble foil covers for the rest. Turns out when it rains theres a waterfall down the stairs, the windscreen seal leaks

• Even.if the original dash was the smaller coach style dash you shpuld still be able to fit a standard transit dash, it wont impede the door i wouldnt think as its too far back.
    Not surprised the screen leaks its a huge screen and will be plenty.of flexing in the frame.You should be able to seal it with sikaflex.The waterfall would go well with the pool though.
    Have you looked on the Ford Transit Forum,I found a reference to Bedwas conversions there.

• I like the gnomes and plants idea! As nrt says above, lift the edge of the windscreen seal up on the outside with a screwdriver and put sikaflex all round it. If it doesnt squeeze out when you let the seal down again you havent got enough in there. This will seal it but it'll be a bastard to remove if you ever need a new screen.

• I would go for building a chicken mesh and paper mashy dashboard. Cut out any access panels, then cover with car body filler, then paint it in mute earthy, rocky colours and enjoy the rocky backdrop to your meadow, stream and gnome gathering.
    Good luck on Wednesday.

• I would go for building a chicken mesh and paper mashy dashboard. Cut out any access panels, then cover with car body filler, then paint it in mute earthy, rocky colours and enjoy the rocky backdrop to your meadow, stream and gnome gathering.
    Good luck on Wednesday.

Brilliant! Don't think you'd need the body filler would you? Paper mache countryside / mountain scene would look fantastic. Maybe add a few model animals etc?

• Brilliant! Don't think you'd need the body filler would you? Paper mache countryside / mountain scene would look fantastic. Maybe add a few model animals etc?

yep, a little plastic mountain climber, a couple of plastic toy hang gliders on the dash ready to leap off. A few daft sheep stranded on ledges.
    A little cave complete with stone age family and hunting scene.

• then remember how they go back together

smartphone and camera or cheap digi camera, take lots of pics, the odd video to explain and reemind yourself and you wont go far wrong. take GOOD pics though, delete any blurry or crap ones, keep taking if needs be till you get enough so you just reassemble in reverse order.

• Rick69 and alices wonderland, what the hell are you two smoking???
    anyone have anyidea if the 2000-2005 dashboard and heater will fit? It being ford most of the multi plugs will be the same. The local scrappy doesnt have any smiley transits

• Rick69 and alices wonderland, what the hell are you two smoking??

Sometimes you should just take an idea and run with it...

If you don't get your water leak sorted out your waterfall would be a lovely accompaniment to the mountain scene...

Next time i see the guy down the road out with his dog I'll enquire about his dash.

• The garage(colins tyres) i took it to couldnt test it due to it being to big for there ramps, so they took it to another test station(clark comercials). Mot tester there refused to test it as he couldnt find the chassis plate so it didnt fail and wasnt ever on the system. He did however go over it and has decided hat he will call vosa out when he tests it. The mechanic that took it for its test recons they will go over it with a fine tooth comb and try too fail it on everything they can. The garage has found another place to test it tomorrow, so i will have a fail sheet for it this time tomorrow.

The garage (clark comercials) that was going to mot it and fail it for everything only deals with new vans, the oldest one i could see on there forecourt was 4yrs old. The mechanic that took it to them is also a tester and he recons most of what was pointed out to him he would have passed or put an advisory on, he did explain that they deal with older vans n cars. One of the things he pointed out was the rear chassis has been welded. Clark comercials says its a different thinkness of plate so its a fail, colins tyres recons its been welded so it passes.

The mot iTs going for tomorrow is from a bus garage so they will hopefully have a better understanding of what it is, they also do car mots and it will be a class 4 mot it just needs to be done on class 7 ramps due to its size

• Where are you pyke? I can recommend a garage in grimsby that does commercials and has a sensible tester.
    You might be better getting recommendations in your area from members / others rather than some dick giving you a massive fail sheet that is on record..

• I agree with Rick. Just bring her home. Class 4 rules only state the vehicle need to have the VIN plate permanently stamped or fixed to the body shelll. The standard Mk5 has it stamped on the driver's step. The step was probably removed or not supplied for the conversion. It's. Also on a plate on the dash. Ah, the thing that's now made of wood......
    Find a recommended class 7 garage. They have to have ramps big enough for 3.5 ton vans. I have never know a class 7 station not also do class 4.

• Its going to a sensible garage tomorrow, the numbers are on the step they were just covered in wood. Its a good thing that e didnt find it or he would have tested it. Because he didnt find the numbers nothing is on the system, so his opinion doesnt count. I hope he sees me driving it in a few months

The garage i took it to is a decent garage with a decent tester, i take all my vans cars and bikes to them. Never had an issue with them, it was only cos its to big for there ramps that it had to go to some traveller hating fuckwit who is determined to condemn it

Rick69, the garage in grimbsy. Is it the one guy martin works at???

• Had an idea about insulation, im planning on using 50mm kingspan, i was going to remove the original insulation from the walls and put it in there but i would only get 25mm into the windows. If i remove the carpet and batten over what is already there i can add the kingspan n ply to it. I will lose 112mm off the overall width but cut my workload down to very little. I think i could insulate and ply line the sides in less than a day this way. I will also have plenty insulation in the walls. For the roof there is enough space to get 50mm insulation in to it without losing any head hight. It still leaves me with just over 2 meters width inside, the only things that willl shrink is the wine rack and the amount of clear floor space. I still have to come up with a way of insulating the floor from the underside so not to lose head hight. Im thinking foil bubble screwed to the underside of the floor as its wooden, open to suggestions on this or other methods of doing it

• If you can afford to lose the width id do as you suggested, run your wiring etc in first (or hose pipe or similar to be able to pull wires through)

As for the floor, i think youll be cold if you skimp on the insulation, can you not get some kingspan under there?
    How long are you planning on spending stood up? You have to bend in my sprinter but once you are in and sat down its not an issue so i dont actually need any head height.
    Obviously if you are living in it then it will become more important, but then so will some decent insulation...

Have you tried drilling a small hole in the floor to see just how thick it is, if there's any gaps maybe taking it up and insulating may be an option.

• I still have to come up with a way of insulating the floor from the underside so not to lose head hight. Im thinking foil bubble screwed to the underside of the floor as its wooden, open to suggestions on this or other methods of doing it

Cork tile the floor? It's not thick and is no doubt a better insulator than foil bubble wrap.

• The floor looks to be about 20mm ply with a resin type floor on top of that. Theres space to get kingspan under the floor above the chassis, only problem is theres not space to get the kingspan in, in any decent sort of lenght. I would end up with about 4 sections across the floor and about 10 sections along the lenght. Thats a lot of small sections to secure properly.
    Im 6ft4 and the bus is 6ft2 so i cant really afford to lose another 2 inch, it would cost me a fortune at the cyropracter(back crunching witchdoctor)

heat rises but so does the cold and i plan on spending a lot of time in the cairngorms throught winter n dont want cold feet, also the dog lies on the floor