Meteor watching

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I love being out in middle of night when the meteor showers are due but usually only ever make it into my back garden. I would love to go into middle of nowhere and find somewhere to settle for the majority of the night and watch but just too scaredy cat to do it alone.. so my question is..

1) Anyone local to me (East Devon) who fancies it (weather permitting ofcourse).

2) Anyone know of any loner groups, not necessarily for star gazing but just kinda like single folks who like to do stuff like wild camping or something?

Thanks

:)

• I like watching meteors and star gazing too,i just go park somewhere high up away from.towns but admittedly i isnt a lady.
    I dont do a lot with other people but when ive felt slightly more sociable Ive found the problem -for me- is single outdoor groups are almost always dating orientated which im not at al interested in but there are some outdoor groups about.I know theres Exeter outdoor group but dont know of any others in your area.

• Thanks guys.. am not a fanatical enthusiast who knows all there is to know.. just like to witness it and just be nice if I was with someone who just likes to go *oooh did you see that one* aswell :) lol

I like watching meteors and star gazing too,i just go park somewhere high up away from.towns but admittedly i isnt a lady.
    I dont do a lot with other people but when ive felt slightly more sociable Ive found the problem -for me- is single outdoor groups are almost always dating orientated which im not at al interested in but there are some outdoor groups about.I know theres Exeter outdoor group but dont know of any others in your area.

• You could start your own single wildcamping group on here.... :) Theres a couple of wild camping websites but i just found them too motorhome orientated and too up themselves.
    Theres also a fledgling org called nearlywildcamping thats trying to build a network of wilder minimal camp spots with landowner co-operation,you might find that appeals if you can find someone else interested in going camping with you.

Thanks guys.. am not a fanatical enthusiast who knows all there is to know.. just like to witness it and just be nice if I was with someone who just likes to go *oooh did you see that one* aswell lol

• Am very close to Exmoor which is a dark sky national park.. Camped near Exford many years ago at a farm and at night it was like being at the planetarium .. stars were just so dense you could hardly make out the constelations ..

At the moment you are in Northumberland, which is as good a 'Dark Skies' experience as you can get.

• This time of year is ideal to see most of the milky way (our galaxy) in detail....I used to.like sleeping on the beach in summer when i lived in Pembrokeshire and up in the Hebrides near Taransay.....lie there for hours watching the chrystal clear sky and listening to the roosting seabirds before nodding off.....perfection.