Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• What works?

Ive tried a few but by no means have I done extensive research.

Scent and wetness and effectiveness wise what do you favour?

I like the scent and wetness of the home bargains super size 79p wipes and their 4 pack of antibacterial pocket wipes.

I like the clean feel and wetness of equip wipes but don't like the scent.

Johnson top to toe baby washcloths are a little dry but have superior texture and a subtle citrus scent that I like.

Any other wetwipe geeks out there?

• I'm not keen. Just about all of them have got some nasties in them and whatever you put on your skin goes in. That said, when water is scarce I do use them and try to seek out the sensitive/sans paraben/alcohol ones - but I don't use them on my most precious parts. :)

My favourites are Water Wipes but they're expensive. Superdrug is the cheapest place to buy them but they're still 2 squids.

https://www.superdrug.com/b/Wa…AEgIBAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I've got a bit lazy with the wipes and your post has got me wondering - would it really be so inconvenient/unhygienic to go back to using a few cotton flannels and a bit of water?

• Does anyone make bio-degradeable wipes ? I've been under the impression that the damned things just hang around forever.

I think your right made out of plastic and banned by most water co's from being flushed down the loo as they just do not dissolve and block the sewers up

• I'm happy enough with Wilkinson's scented wipes. I prefer scent. If they are designed for babies, they won't be too harsh for even the most delicate bit of adults.
    For me they are only really for when out and about away from a supermarket baby room ;)

• They're not all environmentally friendly https://www.treehugger.com/hea…oid-buying-wet-wipes.html :beard:

• When i was rich and had the kids little i used to use naty wipes from waitrose..but they re 2.75!!!so get whats on offer,at the mo super drugs own lovely smell..my fave for texture are huggies,more papery xx

• Defo no more of those little nasties then !!!! Toby n Suzy Trux.

Aye, no more for me either after reading that lot. I've just ordered a pack of six bamboo face cloths for the same price as four packs of wipes so they'll soon pay for themselves and with six I'll always be able to have a clean one.

• I used to buy whatever store i was in own brand unscented.I cant stand the scented ones.I only use them for cleaning up mess on plates or surfaces or me if ive got greasy working on my van.Theyr not very nice i discovered theyre virtually indestructible and burning them they give off noxious smoke so ive changed last year to some eco bio friendly organic wipes for essential jobs ie Earth Friendly Baby or whatever is on offer on Amazon but theyre massively expensive compared to normal ones and so im back to bowl and water more often which is not always practical but needs must.The organic are made from natural fibre and biodegradeable and usually have aloe instead of chemical concoctions.

• Aye, no more for me either after reading that lot. I've just ordered a pack of six bamboo face cloths for the same price as four packs of wipes so they'll soon pay for themselves and with six I'll always be able to have a clean one.

Lynsey made a dozen small reusable wipes for our kids bum when she was first born. They get washed along with the reusable nappies. Just recently Lyndsey has made a dozen reusable baby face and hand wipes out of some soft double skinned material. These we just wet and wipe. The reusable nappy wipes are constantly wet due to being kept in a container with water and some natural scented stuff. I'm shocked to think shop bought. 'Baby' wipes should be harmful to humans at all. We have some bamboo reusable nappies and it's a really interesting material.

• I just use soap and wáter.
    None of that scented shite either. Plain handmade proper soap.
    Maybe its just me but if I`m in a no access to wáter situe I don´t wash. but living where I do you don´t have to wait long for it to piss down and there is also an abundance of stream wáter wherever i go.

• I am truly amazed that anyone on here uses them regularly at all. We keep a small pack in the vehicle for emergency only use, and haven't yet used them in five years! (I keep a rag or two in the boot along with the emergency tools, so don't even use them for dirty hands when changing a tyre, etc).

• As pointed out by wulfie the wipe is a big environmental problem.

Mrs P and AW demonstrate the case for diy 'washable wipes'....put them in a box and moisten with choice oils and/or soaps etc.....launder them every two to three days and they won't become stagnant.

If doing laundry once every week or three in a single mixed wash then diy, environmentally friendly wipes are not an option.....they would become stagnant.

I've not showered for a few months....and am maintaining a low level of stink by using wipes all over and a tap for head and hands when available.

Asda have some large bedtime wipes at 70p for 15 that are similar to Johnsons top to toe washcloths but are lavender scented (boo hoo ).

• We get great big tubs of them at work, they supply them for all the lorry drivers, they are anti bacterial but will have to look and see what they are called.

Same here,my past employment we had big tubs of them that were sterile,you just pulled out what you needed and tore off.They were excellent and what got me into using baby wipes...until i discovered the envirinmental issues with them.I had also naively thought being tested and safe for babies theyd be ok ie 'safe' but theyre as bad as the modern chemical personal products that i never use.
    They are uber convenient though to me and now ive found some that are biodegadeable and organic im happier using those but not so often.

Having been very ill once from ingesting contaminated water im very reluctant to rely on water i find around me...so at times when ive been low on water Id rather conserve for drinking ive done the same as zendaze and used them as a handy way of staying less manky until.i can find proper facilities.

• I realise they are not perfect but neither is pouring used soapy water out onto the ground or down a drain, as far as I'm concerned you can limit the damage you do to the environment in many way but you still want to live a bit.

Not seeing anyone on here moaning about diesel pollution or any of the other issues associated with road transport. :P

• I am truly amazed that anyone on here uses them regularly at all. We keep a small pack in the vehicle for emergency only use, and haven't yet used them in five years! (I keep a rag or two in the boot along with the emergency tools, so don't even use them for dirty hands when changing a tyre, etc).

Baby wipes were around when my first child was born, 30 years ago. I understood that's why they produced them. I've used the odd one over the years, to wipe hands or mouth when they have been offered and on the occasional clean up session after sex in the vehicle/bed, again offered.

What suprised me most, was In learning that a girlfriends hardass brother, would only ever use wet wipes to wipe after having a crap in any toilet environment. The whole family had been using wetwipes (alongside toilet roll I assume, as it was fixed to their bog wall) for most, if not all of his hardasses life. The brother had grown up to needing something softer than toilet tissue to wipe his arse.
    If he has actually used these daily, not just at home, but at school, at work, even when camping or out at the pub. How many more people are flushing them down the bog. What kind of a society have we Grown into, that can't 'live without' such modern embellishments?

We live in a Country of virtually free (safe) water. If I have to go a few hours or a day (unwashed) before reaching a good water supply. (Hot water on tap, is a Luxury) It's no hardship. Very often I wake up in my tin trailer, and I don't wash. My first mission is to make a drink of tea. I also put hot water from the kettle into my hot water bottle, before strapping the hot water bottle to my back, and then go about my chores or work (un-washed) if I do wash it's a handful or two of cold water on the face and hands or, and Only on returning for a second cup of tea and a hot water bottle recharge, will I utilise the 'cooled' hot water from the water bottle to rinse/wash my face and hands, instead if wasting the water.

There are marketing companies trying their very hardest to design for manufacturing and selling things which 'they' hope you 'think' you need. You don't need a strong absorbent (good quality, kitchen roll) and a 2.5 litre bottle of warm-ish (3day old) water to give yourself a strip down cock wash! 'No' according to the marketing crew, you need a pre moistened, fancy packaged pack of 'disposable' handwipes at over a quid a packet.
    Every product has a market and every market has an excuse. I think 'cock washing' or the removal of semen from your partners belly, to save on bed linen washing, is the only real reason adults without babies, should possess wet wipes (unless they come in a first aid kit.

what the foook would the Victirians think of us? Or course, I no longer have a 'office job' nor do I need to impress a likely soul mate. But in a day where hair gel, labled clothes and an array of scented body sprays and body soaps, make a person stand out or fit in! it's only right someone tries to cut out the middleman 'water'

• Theres loads of things in life we dont need or think.we 'must have' we dont need the internet or computers or smartphones,we dont need electric golf buggies,escalators,in car entertainment,food prepared and wrapped in.pretty packages... or all the countless other things that make us lazy or mindless but if theres things about cheap enough for our budget that make some aspects of life much simpler then people are going to use them.No you dont need to wash first thing in the morning or even at all,especially if you live on your own and no one.is going to get close enough to complain about your manky smell.I dont a lot of the time especially in winter or just throw some water in a bowl and have a quick splash if i feel like or im going out.
    On the other hand modern convenience inventions have made it easier to stay clean for much longer without sourcing water to do so or having to store it.Eradicated the need to shit in a carrier bag and hang it in a tree or dig a hole in a field etc etc. We only have piped sewers because rich people got.pissed off with walking in shit and because of the disease spread from open sewers.Now theyre getting clogged with wipes that are then ending up in the sea or on landfill.
    The problem isnt how people choose to live or what they use or how wussy they are for not living a basic caveman existence its what they do with product when its finished with and manufacturers not designing a biodegradeable product in the first place.
    In the 'good old days' if you were well off your ma had a flannel and wiped your face and your arse -hopefully in that order- or you had a wash.in cold water outside...If you were lucky enough to have a car in the family,everything got wiped with the oily rag that lived in the boot,including your hands and face Shitty baby nappies and screech marked cum stained underwear got boiled in a big saucepan before being washed in the sink,same with snotrags (handkerchiefs if you were posh) wiped your arse on old newspaper if you were lucky...thats how i remember life as a youngster but things change,for better or worse...mostly im glad many things have changed from all that past way of doing stuff.

• NT your right, things have changed mainly for the better. But marketing experts are trying as we speak to convince big business that we now need 'special' arse wipes. Just for the purpose of cleaning up after a number 2.

If its true those wetwipes in use today and having been disposed of down the toilet, may one day be floating about in the ocean and mistaken for jellyfish, whilst being consumed by turtles, then we need to rethink the use and availability of such items.

• Or just make sure making them out of non biodegradeable materials with toxic ingredients is outlawed....Whatever happened to IZAL :D

Im actually surprised any of our generation survived as we had our own toxic products around us.I can rember often sitting on tbe drive as a kid scrubbing asbestos brake linings in a bowl of carbon tetrachloride because my dad was too tight to buy new linings...most of us kids did. ...we'd be put in care these days lol

NT your right, things have changed mainly for the better. But marketing experts are trying as we speak to convince big business that we now need 'special' arse wipes. Just for the purpose of cleaning up after a number 2.

If its true those wetwipes in use today and having been disposed of down the toilet, may one day be floating about in the ocean and mistaken for jellyfish, whilst being consumed by turtles, then we need to rethink the use and availability of such items.

• Im actually surprised any of our generation survived as we had our own toxic products around us.I can rember often sitting on tbe drive as a kid scrubbing asbestos brake linings in a bowl of carbon tetrachloride because my dad was too tight to buy new linings...most of us kids did. ...we'd be put in care these days lol

I see that sentiment expressed quite a lot, people fail to realise the ones who CAN express it are the ones who did survive of course, no mention of the kids who died being knocked off a bike with no helmet on, or got lung diseases from coal dust and asbestos or died from measles or got heart disease from a diet of bread and dripping etc etc.

Easy enough to remember life being simpler when you managed to make it through all the hazards, plenty didn't. :D