Vegan cake for dummies

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Can't do a link but Google epic vegan chocolate cake in Jamie Oliver recipes ...I tried it a while back and it worked really well.

For the cheesecake...

. 300g vegan digestives
    . 110g vegan margarine
    . 225g or 1 tub of plain vegan cream cheese
    . 170g silken tofu
    . 1 tbsp veg oil
    . 60g castor sugar
    . 125g plain chocolate
    . 1 tsp vanilla essence

Grease a loose based cake tin or suitable dish.Crush the biscuits, melt the marg and mix together. Put into cake tin and press down till evenly compacted over base then put in fridge.

Blend together tofu, cream cheese, oil, vanilla essence and sugar then melt chocolate in a bowl over boiling water and add to this mixture.

Pour over biscuit base then allow to chill in the fridge for a few hours. You can then top with fruit or chocolate bits.

:)

• If you're not worried about buying a packet, then most Betty Crocker cake mixes and icings are vegan (watch out for Carmine/Cochineal in the red one, but you're pretty safe to ignore the cross contamination warnings)

Orgran No Egg is a really good egg replacer (or you can use aquafaba (chickpea brine) or ground chia seeds too)

Follow the instructions, add some oil, stir and bake the fuck out of that shit and 30 minutes later you have a cake :)

• I made this for my sister on her birthday, Emma. It is a wonderful cheesecake and she didn't even realise it was vegan. I'm making a variation tonight, as I'm going to a cocktail party (dahling) tomorrow. I'll leave the chocolate out, but puree some strawberries for spreading over the top, and quarter some of the fruit into the cheesecake mixture.

• i made a bog standard coffee/walnut cake t'other day for my sister. I merely replaced butter with plant based marge, eggs with ogran and added a half cup of stewed apples for moistness. "Butter" icing and all, it was/is delish, and my sister - a coffee and walnut cake fiend, still has a little left in her fridge. Probably.

• Today it's apple cake.

8 oz of SR flour into a bowl.

4oz brown sugar (or white, or whatever you have)

teaspoonful cinnamon

teaspoonful mixed spice

Stir them well together

Add. 4oz chopped vegan marge

Rub it in until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs

Add 2 apples, peeled, cored and chopped. Stir it all together then add Orgran egg replacer made up to the amount for one egg.

Stir it together, pour into an 8 inch cake dish, and cook for 30 - 40 minutes at around 375.

Gorgeous served warm, with (vegan) cream, or cold the next day.