Advice please.............

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Hi all.

I live outside the system. I don't claim benefits. I don't know how the system works so am hoping that someone will be able to answer the following questions:

There used to be a rule which allowed people sixty to pension age to claim dole money (JSA nowadays I suppose) without the need to look for or be available for work, 'signing on' only once a year. I believe this still exists in some form, though the lower age limit for eligibility has increased.

Is there still such an option open for sixty plus folks - if so what is the minimum age requirement?

Are there any other similar schemes?

Thanks in advance.

Yesterdays gone, tomorrows a mystery, today's a gift, that's why its called the present.

• I signed on the dole for the first time at 61. I still had to go through all the shit of signing on and proof of job search etc. Luckily I was re-employed quickly but found myself out of work again recently. I could not bear the thought of going through that shit again so am managing as best I can unaided. Good luck man! You will need it unfortunately.

-- Posted from the UKHippy mobile app --

• I signed on the dole for the first time at 61. I still had to go through all the shit of signing on and proof of job search etc. Luckily I was re-employed quickly but found myself out of work again recently. I could not bear the thought of going through that shit again so am managing as best I can unaided. Good luck man! You will need it unfortunately.

It's money you are entitled to, you paid for it all your life, you should take what you are entitled too, although I do understand how depressing the system is having been there myself :)

I hve heard about this overs sixties scheme from several sources, but I don't know the name of it or the qualifying age. It definitely used to be sixty because I know a few people who were on it. I think think it exists but in a revised form, the DHSS won't tell you about it so it may be worthwhile your inquiring if you are struggling. I found the following information some time ago, it was posted in 2015, but I can't find anything to corroborate it. That's why I asked here. You can also definitely claim pension credit a full year before state retirement age. As for me, I have no need to sign on but would, when (if!) I reach the eligible age, dependent upon this scheme being in place which meant I wouldn't have to surrender myself to the whole JSA nightmare.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/s…jobseekers-allowance.aspx

Yesterdays gone, tomorrows a mystery, today's a gift, that's why its called the present.

• Maybe speak to Age Concern,they deal with people over 50 or 55,cant remember. which.They are impartial,and you can book a telephone interview or a one to one.Recently did this to get info on entitlements for retirees.They were very helpful,suggesting loads of benefits and how to apply etc.