Breatharians - Is This For Real?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Urine therapy.....a whole different level of taking the piss :D:pp

I don't know how it works, but it worked for me and my knee.
    I have been on painkillers and doctors said there is nothing wrong with my knee, but I had strong pain for a few months.
    I have done proper detox, 2 weeks on water only, and started Orine therapy. It's very possible that fasting helped me to get rid of the pain as well. After 3 weeks in total, the pain has gone.
    I am back to normal eating, and my knee is ok. I know when I will catch any flu/cold, my first thing will be fasting, and a few days of my own urine under my tongue. I haven't had cold or flu since 6-7 years anyway.

After 2 weeks on water only, the urine doesn't smell or taste funny. It's just water.
    I am single so I don't care :D , people do more terrible things.

• surely urine is the stuff the body has rejected because it has no nutritional value? Why would drinking that be good for you?

NOT ONLY is urine sterile, but it is a valuable physiological substance. As blood travels through the body it passes through the liver and the kidneys. One of the liver's major functions is to detoxify the blood. The kidneys balance the various elements in your blood, extracting excess amounts of vital substances and water in the form of urine. Urine contains vitamins, minerals, proteins, enzymes, hormones, antibodies and amino acids. This forms the basis of urine therapy, which is simply "recycling" urine by drinking it. Practitioners claim that it has cured, amongst many others, constipation, psoriasis, eczema, endometriosis, rheumatism, allergies and even some cancers.

We believe in different things, we have different opinions, some people go to church, some don't. Some meditate, the others drink alcohol to relax. Usually, it's always the negative from non-believers, I will end my talking about urine at this point. It's breatharianism topic :D

• You can believe what you.like but you cant rewrite anatomy and physiology and the functions of the.kidney to suit your own beliefs.Kidneys regulate blood pressure,produce red blood cells, remove excess water,remove metabolic toxins of muscle activity (urea and uric acid) excessive metabolites and balsnce the sodium potassium levels in blood - both essential.for your heart to beat correctly -a d to remove sulphates.Theres no benefit to drinking waste already rejected by the body.Army Survivsl.guides now reject and discourage the drinking of urine even in emergency situations becsuse it exacerbates dehydration.

Believe what you want,beliefs dont hurt people. Putting into practice ones beliefs may be harmful to oneself or others though and its pretty negligent /irresponsible peddling theories that disregard scientific proof and known facts on.human anatomy and physiology.

Go watch thousands of men women children and babies dying of starvation and malnutrition in famine relief camps as I have and tell them they can all be saved becoming breatharians and drinking their own urine.

• I didn't say breatharianism or UT is a solution to these problems. I didn't advise anyone on doing anything either. I only said about my own experience. For me UT worked well and I pointed out that it could have been the fasting with water only, not the UT itself. I was honest. When it comes to scientists I'm sceptical. And doctors are trained to perform allopathy, to keep us coming back to them. Why none of them suggest we hydrate ourselves well when we have a headache ? They prefer to promote Paracetamol as the divine solution to all problems.

-- Posted from the UKHippy mobile app --

• You may not be promoting it but there are those out on the internet who are and plenty of gullible followers.Blood letting was all.the rsge once yet no one could figure out why people died from it until they discovered anaemia.
    No one stops anyone trying alternative therapapies ,they can harm only themselves.Im very much in favor of alternative medicine and homeopathics if theres a provable benefit to them.
    Ive not known any doctors that prescribe paracetamol for headaches routinely either.Most will ascertsin the cause and advise accordingly and most plain headaches are due to dehydration from drinking alcohol or just simply not drinking enough fluids.
    Paracetamol are not great painkillers either as most doctors know because though they have a painkilling effect they slso adversely affect kidney and liver function and cause constipation. but theyre better than prescribing opiates or addictive painkillers or anyi inflammatories that damage the intestines.

Im medically trained but im open minded and i like to see peer reviewd scientific evidence of something before ascribing to its benefits (if any) . Id much rather see things like CBD or medical weed used as a pain relief as i.know the latter works.for me and plenty of other long term pain sufferers and the benefits proven scientifically.

You say you felt a lot better after fasting and beginning urine therapy.....Isnt it quite possible that the fasting alone could have been the key in ceasing the ingestion of anything in your diet that was causing you pain and inflammation ?
    Because thats quite a possibility....basic nutrition allergy advice,avoid the food compounds that cause allergy or inflammation .wheatgerms gluten lactose certain proteins dairy etc.
    Non of the advisors private or otherwise have advised me to drink urine but ive had benefits of pain relief and subsidence of inflammation anyway following those being reduced or eradicated and it makes common sense.Drinking urine thats already filled with products my body does not need or want does not make sense.Being a logical skeptic not a conspiracy theorist I prefer the science not hyperbole.

• I agree there are a lot of dodgy placebo effects a nd a lot attributed to miracle cancer cures.Almost all detox or anti allergy therapy begins with fasting and that alone can cause waves off euphoria or depression as the body adjusts and your brain gets used to its change in nutrients and glucose levels so its not really wise to attribute feelings of well being to either short term fasting or urine therapy.
    Trying too many experiments at the same time just produces inconclusive results that cannot be correctly attributed to any one of them...its bad science.
    Double blind tests on a large group of subjects on each therapy or phase of it is the only way to get satisfactory data to work from.Data and proof is inconvenient though.

• I agree there are a lot of dodgy placebo effects a nd a lot attributed to miracle cancer cures.Almost all detox or anti allergy therapy begins with fasting and that alone can cause waves off euphoria or depression as the body adjusts and your brain gets used to its change in nutrients and glucose levels so its not really wise to attribute feelings of well being to either short term fasting or urine therapy.
    Trying too many experiments at the same time just produces inconclusive results that cannot be correctly attributed to any one of them...its bad science.
    Double blind tests on a large group of subjects on each therapy or phase of it is the only way to get satisfactory data to work from.Data and proof is inconvenient though.

A lot of alternative remedies/treatments are not peer reviewed or evidence based, people end up relying on anecdotal evidence that they might have heard down the pub or at some hippy festival, etc. Even before the internet, there were always followers, but with the internet alternative remedies have the potential to be a lot more dangerous, due to wider audiences.

• Absolutely, you tube has become a charlatans paradise peddling pseudo-science cobbled together from anecdotes and vague links to ancient cultural practices.No doubt plenty have made a nice living from advertising revenue from millions of followers
    Its also strangely cultish..if anyone voicee dissent theres an army of often very nasty and from the depth of understanding from some of the comments,ignorant or uneducated weirdos who rise up to join in the stoning.
    The internet was supposed to make information and education available to all but seems to have just become a vehicle for loons and conspiracy theorists to become famous and mob ignorance to prevail.

It reminds me of a few years back when motor magazine journos and filling stations were trying to peddle the idea of filling your car tyres with nitrogen gas and charging for the privilege until finally it was pointed out that the atmosphere is 78% nitrogen anyway and thats what goes in the tyre when you pump them up...Suddenly everyone who was bragging about it became very quiet.

• Whatever else the body can manage, you need certain amino acids and vitamins because the body cannot manufacture these. Some foods like potatoes, tomatoes, peppers and aubergine have shared ancestry with Belladonna and all contain a small amount of the poison solanine. This accumulates in the joints and inflamed them. I remember eating a load of tomato dishes a few days running - boy my hands were set solid! I stopped the tomatoes and replaced the potatoes with swede, parsnips and squash. A few days later my hands were better. Fast carefully by all means but me - I like a good plate of dinner any day.

• I have found its a good way to snack if you are on a long drive , saves stopping at the services if you are peckish, and you do not have to poo so much so money /enviroment brownie points there .

Another interesting thing I have found out is that if you are on a long drive , moterways work best for this, you shut one eye for an hour , then switch over to the other eye for the same and alternate , so you go to sleep with half your brain , so , say you are driving from London , to the lake district, you could get 2 hrs or more sleep. 2 hours driving = 1 hrs kip .

I am still reaserching not drinking , but that would be real rubbish , as you would not get pissed :)

• Cant be arsed to do a quote but would like to correct a previous poster in that alcohol does not directly cause dehydration.

It has been claimed in this thread that dehydration may be a result of alcohol consumption. (Which is not untrue given alcohol's potential for contributing towards nauseation, self neglect and lethargy).

It would however be untrue and plain wrong for anyone to interpret the effects of alcohol as affecting a biological/chemical mechanism that directly causes dehydration in the human body. Physiology compensates for any diuretic affect of alcohol and signals the body to dilute and hydrate.

Usual fluid requirements are approx 1.5 to 2.5 litres per day for UK dwellers. Alcohol consumption along with mixer does not realistically present a net negative challenge to hydration levels.

Geek out over.

No offense intended.

• Since it was me ill respond,no offense taken.Dehydration is caused by the bodys own compensatory effects in trying to dilute the toxic effects of alcohol and rid it from the body.It will continue to conpensate until the alcohol is excreted completely.

The degree of dehydration depends on the drink consumed -whether high alcohol drinks like spirits or low alcohol high water volume drinks like beer.

Im not wasting my time looking up medical links pointing out the dehydrating effects of alcohol though,you can do that yourself. This thread was about breatharian nonsense.

Have a nice day.