Land in Portugal

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• - what could be done with it ?

ukhippy.com/attachment/25937/
    ukhippy.com/attachment/25938/

About:

Access is difficult, track is rugged , chunks of stone , seriously over grown ( trees etc ) and contested.
    Getting a vehicle in and out is possible but likely stressful and costly if done wrong. If you are thinking about a camper van park you are going in the wrong direction. A sturdy 4x4 could do it, but you would be fixing it sooner rather than later.

Some Ruins and lots of stones. (see small square with red outline in 1st image)

Has lots of eucalyptus trees, most mature ones were cut this earlier this year, but dont worry. they will be back as they coppice wildly. Other trees like cork oak and pine grow like weeds

Water is onsite, but would need a fair amount of work to clean and recondition well and springs.

You need a sense of adventure and a touch of insanity to try this, I did and had a great 6 months here.

Its not really worth much , it isnt for sale , its just unused. If someone made a home there, id be happy to give it to them. In the same way, im not handing the deeds to the first person who says yes id like it...

I hope it could be a great start for someone or a group who wanted to experience living on the land ..

I have a similar but smaller hovel a few km's away which i call home. Id be happy to show people around if im in the neighbour hood at the time.

What would you do with it ?

• Has the Cork oak trees been harvested in the last 10 to 12 years? Are they virgin ("desboia") Virgin trees? Can you see areas of new bark growth on any of the trees? ask a tiradores (local cork strippers) If it is suitable for harvesting? And if it's "amadia" 3rd time stripped or more? This is the most valuable cork and suitable for the bottling industry. Younger than this and the oak is iok for floor tiles etc. Have you looked into the cork market? If I were to make the transition to live there, this would be one of my interests. I would want to Learn the trade and team up with a local tiradore. I wouldn't be the one climbing the trees though at my time if life.

You have to be very careful when taking on a montado > name for this area of land your talking about, (mixed pastoral, forestry, agri.) They are protected by law. It is illegal to cut down ANY cork oak in Portugal and could result in a steep fine and banned from using the land for 25 years.
    I think the cork oak could be a real asset to this project. Might be worth looking into any EU funding for conservation, management etc.

The eucalyptus trees are predominantly grown for pulp production. Without secure vehicle access this may not be viable.

why not dedicate the montado to a National conservation group? or Try to create a Iberian lynx (most endangered wildcat in the world) reserve, refuge. There's so much that can be done, with doing very little.

• If it were me,i would get as many small poly tunnels going with as wide variety of fruit and veg as poss,as organic as poss,in between i would put in as much solar and wind collection as i could,maybe squeeze a few shipping containers half or fully buried for workers housing and workshops/storage,sort the water supply/storage first though.,the rest if any left for wild assorted flowers and some bee hives.

• [quote='alices wonderland','http://ukhippy.com/freakpower/forum/index.php?thread/&postID=1578898#post1578898']Has the Cork oak trees been harvested in the last 10 to 12 years? ]

Really not sure , i understand the rules on cork oaks, but none are very big so far. I can only imagine 'someone' cuts them down occasionally, certainly isnt me.

Despite being not far away at times, i dont in general visit this bit of land.

I am not really into applying to the EU for anything, maybe someone else is interested in doing so though ?

• Do you have a photograph from the ground, so these tress can be seen in perspective? They don't cut down the tree to extract the cork bark. It's peeled from the tree in sheets upto the size of a house door. Maybe these are young trees that have been planted. They become productive for cork removal at about 20 to 25 years depending on many factors. Every ten years or so then after maturity, cork is removed from the mature trees. This doesn't harm the tree and the tree simply grows the cork bark again to protect itself.

Not to worry. It's maybe something to look into when you consider its future.

- - - Updated - - -

If it were me,i would get as many small poly tunnels going with as wide variety of fruit and veg as poss,as organic as poss,in between i would put in as much solar and wind collection as i could,maybe squeeze a few shipping containers half or fully buried for workers housing and workshops/storage,sort the water supply/storage first though.,the rest if any left for wild assorted flowers and some bee hives.

all this with poor if any vehicle access?

• If it were me,i would get as many small poly tunnels going with as wide variety of fruit and veg as poss,as organic as poss,in between i would put in as much solar and wind collection as i could,maybe squeeze a few shipping containers half or fully buried for workers housing and workshops/storage,sort the water supply/storage first though.,the rest if any left for wild assorted flowers and some bee hives.

Many of the neighbours use there land for bee keeping. I guess its related to some sort of grant.

• Sorry if anyone found it misleading, i am not looking for ideas on how I could use this land.

I am wondering if anyone else wants to do something with it. Build a house , a yurt, whatever. Its allowed to reside there with a non perm dwelling, or convert / expand the existing ruin with habitation rights !

I have a piece of land nearby, its smaller and needs less work which suits me, as i still have to work in the uk at times, i dont have much time for a 2nd project at all.

Hope that clears things up !

• Do you have a photograph from the ground, so these tress can be seen in perspective?

all this with poor if any vehicle access?

I dont have any photographs as of right now. last time i had them it was an old nokia phone or something :D
    But the next time im there i will take some, could be 3 months though

With regards to vehicle access, there are a number of ways to solve it.

Either talk to the council / junta / fregusia and arrange for it to be sorted out. Or by access from a neighbour.

Back in the day my solictor told me i had to have access to the property and it was sillyness. I took some photos of the track and left it with them.
    I think the problem was there were a number of tracks, i used part of someone elses in ignorance. But there are rules, if a track is used by more than 2 parties it becomes public and so on. Ive driven on there in an l200 pick and a nissan micra ;D, ive towed a caravan on and off.

But daily use will lead to problems , talk to the neighbours, no one will really mind, im sure something can be agreed,
    But make the mistake and think its yours and use it, they get pissed ...

It didnt help that after i bought the land, the track / inward route i was shown wasnt the one. So i used the other side and that wasnt the one either. Nothing is simple out there, but if you have time and patience all is possible.

• Thanks for the potential offer. There's lots that could be considered. If someone was successful in establishing the site and you held up your side of the bargain. Then you are doing a honourable thing. I'm afraid my partner will be dependent of life sustaining medication for evermore and with the potential for health insurance could mean that residing in Euroupe is a none starter for us.

• It sounds beautiful.

I'd just slowly and carefully park up somewhere and wake up everyday and start work on a space big enough for a large tent. And with all those stones available I'd make a nice fireplace in every space.
    On the easiest part, I'd clear it to make raised beds (with the stones) to grow vegetables.
    Then I'd build the ruin up to make a basic but comfortable meeting place.
    A wee bit of landscaping wouldn't go amiss, but that would be for later.
    It could be a beautiful, relaxing and natural environment for decent 2 legged animals.
    The track could be improved in time with a bit of hard work and using the materials in situ.
    Just one rule though! No killing of animals allowed!
    It sounds like a wee bit of heaven on this cruel ball of dirt.

• P. S. I lived on a Greek Islands for many years in the mountains. I found that it was good to get to know the neighbours (the locals not ex pats)! Have a wee smoke, go and knock on their door and introduce yourself, make a fool of yourself by talking shite Greek, and they like you for it. I think the same would be suitable for the wilds of Portugal? Plus, they normally have heaps of manure lying around. Great stuff 😊

• P. S. I lived on a Greek Islands for many years in the mountains. I found that it was good to get to know the neighbours (the locals not ex pats)! Have a wee smoke, go and knock on their door and introduce yourself, make a fool of yourself by talking shite Greek, and they like you for it. I think the same would be suitable for the wilds of Portugal? Plus, they normally have heaps of manure lying around. Great stuff 

Hi

It sounds like this isnt your first rodeo , so i am guessing you are pretty much on the money there.
    To some extent you need to be willing to become Portuguese and join in with the local stuff, become part of the village.

People wont always agree, but cooperation must continue, out there in the sticks your neighbour is the most important person in the world. Even if they are complete ass hats, you need to find a way to love them :D Seriously, concentrate on the positive.

I've learned allot since i took on 'basecamp 1'. It has set me in good stead at basecamp 2 , ive learned how to get on with people and cooperate.

I like the meeting place idea, and the gardens, would be kind of cool to have a communal garden. Im not sure if its really needed ( most local families grow there own food mostly. ) . So there is no shortage of vegs

However i think its a great idea, because the locals would have allot to say about it :D
    Im sure they would offer trades if the liked the produce too.

This is the kind of place where Joao will have his morning coffee and give the patron a large pumpkin or something to put on display for a few months. It will be a talking point for anyone who pops in

• I've been looking at land (just online) recently in Portugal as my partner and I are hoping to move out there next year and get residency before Brexit kicks in. If you still haven't had any takers by then, I'd be very happy to come and have a look!

It looks gigantic relative to the nearby town/village - what size is it?

We're looking for somewhere we can set up a home (in a yurt most likely - we have a camper but wouldn't be able to get it on site based on the description) and set up some veg beds, possibly some swales and a food forest. I've been interested in building with cob for a long long time now so it would be great to do some building experiments with different materials, although bringing in materials that can't be grown or found onsite is likely to be very tricky if not impossible. I'd definitely get some Mimosa Tenufloras planted to help recondition the soil, plus they're great in drought and areas prone to fire. I'd get some goats in to help get cut back on some of overgrowth.

It sounds like an incredible opportunity regardless so hope someone takes you up on the offer!

• Is it easy to buy land their
    Please explain what you have to do
    Do you think Brexit will cause you any problems
    Thanks

Its pretty straight forward to buy property anywhere, in Portugal less than 10% of the value in fees covers it ( lawyers ,notaries etc )

https://www.expatfocus.com/exp…__7JKalAa-dj1xhoCBXPw_wcB

Brexit ? Well who knows , it does not trouble me much, but it hasnt happened yet. Im planning on being there while the clock strikes 12 anyway.

• >> me too, its a shame that it isnt being used !