The values & ethos of this website

• Ethos is a term with Greek origins, and it refers to the morals, values and beliefs of a person, or even an entire culture. Ethos is also one of the three rhetorical appeals identified by Aristotle. The other two appeals are logos (logic) and pathos (emotion).

• Well this website was set up to be a space where like minded people from the UK alternative scene (AKA hippies/punks/new age travellers/activists and other various new age / tribally types) could come together, explore and network their ideas, make friends, support each other and move forward in their lives. Hence a leaning more towards anarchism, libertarianism, equal rights, social justice activism, self-sufficiency and environmentalism - largely minority held viewpoints.

But sometimes it feels like I've logged into the comments section of the Daily Mail.

So, how would you (all of you) summarise the values and ethos of this website according to your own experience of this website?

• damned if I know, sometimes when I log in I think I've joined a site for The Telegraph readers, not a Hippy site.

• But sometimes it feels like I've logged into the comments section of the Daily Mail.

That is how it feels, at least nobody is using capital letters to try and back up their arguments, the old caps lock disease. Sometimes it feels a bit Tory on here, seems to be a lot of Tory drivel, might as well just rename this place 'uktory'. Seems to be leaning a little to the right on here at times with some of the comments.

I came to this place to chat with other hippies, but sometimes I wonder how hippy UKhippy is these days. :)

• I think we have a good mix of people on the site and I like the fact that we can pretty much discuss any subject.

With such a mix you are always going to get arguments but this is a really positive side of the site. Unless someone calls you out on you views you could go through your whole life believing you are right on every subject because no one was encouraged to question your beliefs.

My mind is drawn back to the many heated argument I have had with Paul over meat eating in the past. I still eat meat but the conversations we had made me think about meat eating is a different way and has altered my habits in a positive way.

Paul

• We're all different and luckily not too extreme in either direction which is necessary for a healthy balance on the views of Nature, freedom and the powers that be. Free speech is one appreciated thing on here despite name calling from left to right and back and ideas are open.

The place is good. I've done my bit and out to pasture but there are a lot of thoughts on here I'm still happy to embrace and learn from and others which which can fuck right off but the place is good.

• But sometimes it feels like I've logged into the comments section of the Daily Mail.

I think the slight lean to the right that we're seeing on here is a result of a general lean to the right in the non virtual world.

It did annoy me for a while as I always saw this place as a bit of a sanctuary away from all that crap but then I realised I was burying my head in the sand. Is only by talking about things that change can happen so while it can be very tiring, I think it's a good thing to have such a diverse group of opinions.

• I really dig this forum...I've been on many, and kicked off most all of them. moveon.org is supposed to be a lefty forum, and I found they were one of the most demanding. If you don't think the way they want, you get banned. But same with the right wing forums I've been on...reveal yourself as a liberal, and they don't want to hear it...banned. There's another hippie forum I was on, that if you gave your opinion that differed from the head cheese, everyone would gang up on you. There's another person here that used to be a moderator there, who quit when it happened to her. That's how I got here.

But everything is what it is. You'll always be disappointed if you have expectations of others. And nobody is liked by everybody,even Jesus, Buddha, Gandhi and the Pope are despised by some. Will Rogers said that he never met anyone he didn't like, but he never met Hitler.

I kinda feel a little like an outsider, being across the pond. But I definitely like y'all a lot more than I like most Americans these days. And I really can understand why Europeans would resent the U.S.....meddling in everybody's politics is so hypocritical, when they complain about Russia doing it.

As far as this being a hippie site, yeah I think it is.

• There does seem to be a lot of right wing comments here these days, which startled me.

However, I do think that everyone, in spite of some comments and threads, are generally kind hearted and helpful.

I'm sure that I would happily chat to anyone around a campfire; and gophangover, you feel just as much a part of this site as anyone. :hippy:

If men bore wings and had black feathers, few would be intelligent enough to be crows.

• There does seem to be a lot of right wing comments here these days, which startled me.

However, I do think that everyone, in spite of some comments and threads, are generally kind hearted and helpful.

I'm sure that I would happily chat to anyone around a campfire; and gophangover, you feel just as much a part of this site as anyone. :hippy:

Thanks QT....

• I'm not opposed to my views being challenged, because a lot of the time it just solidifies my opinion -- if I can successfully counter an argument, then I learn and can use that learning in other areas.

However while we've always tried to steer this website as a predominantly left thinking, libertarian "refuge", I think most people have at least one contentious opinion that could flip their normal stance (me included).

As long as authoritarian or right leaning views don't become too dominant, then I guess all will be well.

I think :S

• well that explains a lot.

• Being a noob here who cares what I think but I many find the political views on here a bit odd - I don't think everyone has to think the same obviously but I would have imagined more people who pursue alternative lifestyles would generally have more liberal political views. More fool me!

• I certainly do not view you as an outsider,but as a very welcome member of the uk hippy community who contributes lots of positvity onto the site. I would be shocked if anyone else thought otherwise.

• I think that the site majoritively conveys a very positive message and that the reason that there is always such a good influx of newbies appearing on the site is because the majoritive viewpoint touches something in lots of people who do not get to share the same sentiments often when they are not on the site.
    I class it as a morally cool place to be and even if some opinions differ completely from the love,peace,compassion and freedom movement,they are still very useful tools to help us learn not only about another way of looking at things,but also teach us more about the people we want to be.

Thumbs up from me :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

• Well this website was set up to be a space where like minded people from the UK alternative scene (AKA hippies/punks/new age travellers/activists and other various new age / tribally types) could come together, explore and network their ideas, make friends, support each other and move forward in their lives. Hence a leaning more towards anarchism, libertarianism, equal rights, social justice activism, self-sufficiency and environmentalism - largely minority held viewpoints.

But sometimes it feels like I've logged into the comments section of the Daily Mail.

So, how would you (all of you) summarise the values and ethos of this website according to your own experience of this website?

I feel I have found a place where I have had an opportunity to burst out of my little bubble and get to know other people who bring other life experiences to the table. My own experience, mainly in education and the arts, can still get a little claustrophobic sometimes, specially when one always seems to be battling some injustice or other. Through UKH I feel I have met some lovely people. A chance to chill just this last weekend with some of my new real life friends was just what the doctor ordered. I wasn't going to stay overnight, but I couldn't help myself. Why deprive myself of such lovely company when nothing else was immediately pressing?

As for ethos ... I may not agree with everything contributors write (I may have trouble agreeing with anything some people write), but no one forces me to read or answer in every thread and I have SO much to learn in this life. Since arriving in rather a fragile state a few years ago UKH has been part of my healing. I guess that means that the old hippy value of tolerance is still around, even if that concept has been somewhat discredited. Still, while I have no intention of demanding that people accept me, tolerance suits me as at least a starting point and (unless someone commits unpardonable acts of ... whatever) I can usually offer tolerance in return. Sometimes that even moves on to acceptance :S Then there are such qualities as friendship, love, curiosity, concern for each other, respect for Mother Earth, activity in the arts, sharing ideas with fellow activists, support in times of trouble ... I have found all that here and I hope I have been able to offer a little in return. I have never dosed and in some people's eyes I know that excludes me as a card carrying hippy, but I don't feel judged and even if everyone else has flown through space a million times I don't feel excluded from the company of some top people I would probably never have met without UKH.

I understand the Daily Mail comparisons but, having met someone from here I had previously (and wrongly) dismissed in my head as a miserable reactionary, a face to face discussion was really informative and made me think. Some days I have the energy for a bit of thinking.

Paul, thanks for making it possible. No need to be despondent. It's all cool.

• What, a hippy with a career, working for the man, engaging in the capitalist system, :insane:

exactly!!! a corporate image dosent exactly go with being a hippy, sounds a bit of a mongrel to me.