New metal wash tubs - can they be bought?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• As the title says I've been googling for a new large aluminium/stainless steel wash tub but it looks like such things don't exist in the UK anymore. Found the odd American link and lots of links to export them from India, any UK results tend to be extortionate vintage tin baths/tubs with plenty of character (rust/holes!).

We want it for washing pots/clothes/and us.

Is there anywhere to look I could be missing? There's a local Pakistani supermarket that has huge cooking pots but there not really the ideal shape.

• Make a wooden slatted box and line it with builders grade polythene? That way you can take it down when you are not using it

Or the other idea is a dog bath? or the things builders mix cement in sometimes? don't know what they are called

• You can by them from catering suppliers , they are sold a mixing bowls etc , Stainless ones are not cheap , but last a lifetime.
    Just an example

https://www.nisbets.co.uk/vogu…l-mixing-bowl-12ltr/gc141

There are also second hand catering dealers , I got a 10 gallon ally bowl of one .

• Post by ma bungo ().

The post was deleted, no further information is available.
  • Old wash tubs and tin baths were mostly galvanised. You can pick them up cheap at carboots but since it became trendy to plant them up and stick them on the patios. Silly money is paid on eBay. The NEW tin baths are just cheap nasty imitations that won't last out a family.
    I moved over to 5mm thick, spun aluminium industrial catering siize wash bowl over 30 years ago, all my kids have been bathed in it. I picked up a secondhand replacement for it at a local carboot about a month ago for £4. These don't bend, and can be placed in a open fire to heat the water. Small enough to perch on a gas stove. Small enough to carry when full to empty. Big enough to bath the barnes in sitting down, big enough for a average adult to have a stand up bath in while inside your wagon i from of the woodburner.

• Wow thanks for all the replies, some great suggestions there. Plastic would be a good option in that it's cheap and light but ideally I'd like something that can be heated up, plus metals visually more appealing.

Great find Red Dragon and Wulfie but a bath's just too long and would use up too much water for washing up, ideally needs to be inside 20inches diameter. Ma Bungo your finds the closest yet it's just a shame it's not a bit deeper. Alices Wonderland I'm jealous! How big's the one you found? Have you still got your original one?

• Where you going to store your tub on your travels Jonathanh ?

Ditched the idea of a sink as wasted space, figured a tub is more flexible as it can be moved about. I'm making part of the kitchen work top lower so it can function as a seat or a place to wash up when the tubs in situ. We will probably stack all our pots and pans in it when not in use. Not sure where it will be stored yet, maybe in the shower area.

• Instead of a sink, in my van I cut out a circle of the worktop and put an old enamel washbasin in the hole. It's easily lifted out to empty and means I never have the problem of waste storage. Also I can just put a bit of wood over it if I need the extra space. The other benefit is, if I want to wash or wash up. out side of the van it's easy enough to do so.

• Wow thanks for all the replies, some great suggestions there. Plastic would be a good option in that it's cheap and light but ideally I'd like something that can be heated up, plus metals visually more appealing.

Great find Red Dragon and Wulfie but a bath's just too long and would use up too much water for washing up, ideally needs to be inside 20inches diameter. Ma Bungo your finds the closest yet it's just a shame it's not a bit deeper. Alices Wonderland I'm jealous! How big's the one you found? Have you still got your original one?

I do have both of them and enough iron ware (cast cooking pans) to open a tinkers shop. I'm going to guess it's 25" diameter, by 10" deep with two handles on the outside on the new one. Only one handle on the original. The other handle was missing before I got it 30 years ago.

• I'm after the exact same thing. I just can't decide on size! Will be used to wash up pans etc in, possibly clothes and people, ideally able to sit on the gas stove or Julian's burner.

I've found one 20inch diameter and 13inch deep for a good price but not sure if that's a bit on the large side.

• I'm after the exact same thing. I just can't decide on size! Will be used to wash up pans etc in, possibly clothes and people, ideally able to sit on the gas stove or Julian's burner.

I've found one 20inch diameter and 13inch deep for a good price but not sure if that's a bit on the large side.

its a lot of weight to pick up, move around and more often than not, if it's too full and you stand/squat in one when it's anymore than half full, you end up with it over spilling all over your bath area. 20" diameter x 12" deep with 6" to 8" of water is about all you can get away with bathing.

A word of causion. These galvanised 'tin baths' are just folded seams and a bit of solder smeared into the joints. Over heating, bad workmanship can result in leaks in the future.
    If in doubt, find something flat with a diameter of 20 inch, try standing on it in the middle, see if you can imagine balancing and getting a stand in strip wash in that space. Anything with walls too high would prevent your legs bending over the rim and your feet touching the floor when you have that sit down bath moment. :D

Anything you can balance ontop of a Julian burner will be a bonus. Fireweaver stoves often have the stovepipe at the front of the top plate, if your close to the wall, you may struggle to place a large wash bowl on top.

I find a good 4 gallon cast iron cooking pot, placed ontop of the woodburner and a separate large bowl/tub/bath to decant the 4 gallons of really hot water into. Gives you the choice to cool down the water to a working temperature by adding cold water. It's also easier to decant the dirty water out afterwards, using a seperatly (smaller) cooking pot. Last thing you want to be doing on a mid winters night, after a hot bath, fking around naked trying to carry a large bath full of dirty water through your wagon door without spilling.

• I saw them for sale in lidl only a few weeks ago. They were about the same size as the one in the old photo. I'm not sure, but I think they were about £15.

Yesterdays gone, tomorrows a mystery, today's a gift, that's why its called the present.

• If you want large pots the best thing to look for is catering pans and urns.Theyre solid stainless steel and not THAT expensive.Look.on ebay or.if your live where theres an Indian/asian community their shops are the best for decent pans and boilers...as well as food.
    Beware the cheap chinese manufactured ones made of tin foil :)

• Double handed rubble carrier from the diy store variety of sizes n colours. Sweet, forget that galvanised tin shit. All the good old stuff is gone and the new stuff ain't worth a wank.

OK until your stuck with us in a field, and you've run out of gas and none of us are going to heat water so you can wash your small bits. Try putting your modern plastic tub next to or over the open fire. Then we will see what's good obout tried and tested 'old' equipment. Number of those plastic feeding buckets that get trashed and thrown in the bin down at the local stables.