Animal agriculture UK 2016

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I source meat from the local area, 99% of the meat I eat comes from the local area, eggs are from 1 mile up the road.

• the start should be to stop bad practises in an industry, no matter what that industry is, say "cowboy" builders for instance, you wouldn't tarnish the entire building industry because of a few "bad apples", or would you??

• we have been eating meat since the dawn of time, suddenly according to some that is wrong.

• Not only eating meat, but any use of another sentient being for our own purposes. Keeping pets, "training" their instincts out of them so that they can fit more comfortably into our lives... I dunno, its a whole minefield when you start to consider it all.

Farm animals only exist in abundance because of artificial insemination

I'd question that. It's getting more and more usage but the old bull and ram aren't kept for their sweetypie nature. On most of the farms I get round there's usually a ton of beef relaxing in the field waiting his moment and if all the sheep I see with multicoloured arses are to go by, if they're AI the farmer must be wearing the tupping harness.

• Yes they do, and it's the largest contributor to climate change, far outweighing anything caused by transport or industry...

and that's a load of bull:pp

• I don't think i'm going to play your stupid game any more.

Not a stupid game. It's only when we test our ideas against those with a different point of view that we learn and/or strengthen our beliefs. After all, thee and me come from opposite ends of the meat-eating spectrum but we have discovered that we share a lot of ideas on this subject. :thumbup:

"The European Union is just like a jigsaw puzzle, except the pieces all come from different puzzles". - Red Dragon

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us".
    - Calvin+Hobbes

• To those on here suggesting that the countryside would be empty of animals if/when we stop eating them, you're talking out of your methane generator. :D

There were animals before we started eating them and I can see no reason why animals would disappear if we stopped eating them. Arguably Mother Nature ran a pretty tight ship before (wo)man came along.

Someone once said - Adapt or die - and I would suggest that's what evolution is all about.

If we are all het up about Animal Agriculture, I wonder why no one has mentioned zoos and what would happen to the animal kingdom if zoos didn't exist.

Basically, there is no single answer to all of this. We, in the "first world", have been sold into consuming far more of everything than we need to keep alive and healthy and I suggest that the best way to counter that is for all of us to eat/drink less. Less consumption would, hopefuly, lead to more resources being available for those in the world who are malnourished and who knows, perhaps, even a return to proper animal husbandry.

Having said that, I'm not sure how nomadic peoples like the Esquimos, the Masai and the Mongols would have their lives changed and moved away from animal products. Esquimo need animals to provide a lot of their needs like food, skins for clothing, fat for lighting and heating and bones and sinews for many other purposes - can't see them growing much on the frozen Tundra, unless global warming has something to say about it. :whistle: The Masai and the Mongols rely on blood-letting from their cattle and horses to sustain them and none of the people have developed their lifestyle based on a marketing (wo)man's wet-dream but due to circumstances, environment and need.

"The European Union is just like a jigsaw puzzle, except the pieces all come from different puzzles". - Red Dragon

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us".
    - Calvin+Hobbes

The post was edited 1 time, last by Red Dragon ().

• there would still be wild animals, but there wouldn't be any farm animals, if no one is making money by keeping them then they would all be culled, every last one of them.

• there would still be wild animals, but there wouldn't be any farm animals, if no one is making money by keeping them then they would all be culled, every last one of them.

Well Hagrid, it seems we do disagree on something. :eek: Farm animals will likely go on to be pets, just like cats and dogs and Guinea Pigs. They won't all be culled, they will dwindle in numbers as and when people stop eating them until the number has dropped far enough to only support the pet (food) trade and zoos.

p.s. People are sometimes called Human Guinea Pigs when used to "test" something because, once upon a time, Guinea Pigs were bred for use in "animal testing".

- Calvin+Hobbes

• But you said it had meat in it the other day , wheres that come from ?

what had meat in it?
    anyway we were discussing what would happen if everyone was vegetarian....terrible thought!!

• Well Hagrid, it seems we do disagree on something. :eek: Farm animals will likely go on to be pets, just like cats and dogs and Guinea Pigs. They won't all be culled, they will dwindle in numbers as and when people stop eating them until the number has dropped far enough to only support the pet (food) trade and zoos.

p.s. People are sometimes called Human Guinea Pigs when used to "test" something because, once upon a time, Guinea Pigs were bred for use in "animal testing".

no farmers and agri businesses will NOT be keeping farm animals as pets, they will all be put down if nobody is eating them, not financially viable.

Or, they could be neutered and the numbers allowed to decline naturally until they returned to a population more aligned with nature.

Of course, farmers wouldn't want that, but in a world that embraced animal rights, they'd have to just get on with it and learn to make their living elsewhere.

• Or, they could be neutered and the numbers allowed to decline naturally until they returned to a population more aligned with nature.

Of course, farmers wouldn't want that, but in a world that embraced animal rights, they'd have to just get on with it and learn to make their living elsewhere.

There would be an out cry about milk for tea ! ( I do not drink tea, and have coffee black ).

• Or, they could be neutered and the numbers allowed to decline naturally until they returned to a population more aligned with nature.

your living in fantasy land, they wont even do that with the badgers and you think they'll do it with farm animals and then just keep them with all the costs being paid by themselves? you really do know nothing about farming.

• and as for making a living elsewhere, that's just laughable, what they going to retrain as? brain surgeons?

• There would be an out cry about milk for tea ! ( I do not drink tea, and have coffee black ).

your living in fantasy land, they wont even do that with the badgers and you think they'll do it with farm animals and then just keep them with all the costs being paid by themselves? you really do know nothing about farming.

Well that's because humans haven't evolved the necessary ethics to work it out yet - and considering humans are still abusing and enslaving other humans, it'll be a long time before they stop abusing animals too.

In other words, most people consider the taste of something more important than any suffering it may cause.

and as for making a living elsewhere, that's just laughable, what they going to retrain as? brain surgeons?

To be honest I couldn't care what they do as long as they stop abusing animals.

You're using the same arguments that were used against the abolition of human slavery.

• you really don't have a clue, you've got a one track mind where animals are concerned.
    and like I said i'm not playing your silly little game anymore. end of.

• A conversation about animal rights in an animal rights forum is bound to be about ... well, animal rights!

Nobody is forcing you to participate ;)

please note my signature(below).

• please note my signature(below).

Come on Hagrid, you certainly can't expect, as a meat eater, to have folk agree with your whole point of view on this thread? Having said that there are people on here who are rather blinkered to the realities of living in this Century and who do seem to be more interested in the welfare of any animal that is not human - and that I have a real problem with.

I have to ask myself why there are people giving every impression that they are more interested in animal welfare than, for example, doing something about female genital mutilation or slavery or honour killings (if ever there was a msinomer, it's that last one); all of which are alive and well and being practiced by people living in the UK.

Your signature may reflect your views and I respect those, just as I do your meat eating choices. However, might I suggest that someone with diametrically opposite views to yours might also have the same signature? Foolishness is in the eye of the beholder and open discussion is the best way to ensure that no one ends up looking foolish.

- Calvin+Hobbes