Painting plastic?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I have some cheap chipboard coated with plastic furnature that I wish to add colour. What can I do? DO i just use tile primer? or spraypaint? or wallpaper? what ways can i funk them up?!

• You might need to rough up the surface of plastic in order for it to take a primer...which you can then paint on - without that it will probably just peel off when dry :(

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• Indeed.

Test it on a small bit of the furniture no one will see :)

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• Not done this myself but watched too much Changing Rooms - there's a primer called ESP Easy Surface primer that works on that sort of stuff. Not sure where you get it from or how much it costs though. If it works, or you find any solutions, please let me know cos I've been meaning to get round to doing some furniture stuff myself.

• Quote from Naeni

... or i should just buy some decent furniture! this stuff is rubbish! *taps and it all falls apart*

Well, that was gonna be my other suggestion :)

• what about stickers? big flower stickers could jazz them up! but argh i have three thingyes! the wardrobe, the drawers and this desk! if i lean too far to one side when i'm typing i feel it tip! but its layout is awesome!! argh i guess I'll go on the hunt for some WOOD then!

• Quote from Naeni

what about stickers? big flower stickers could jazz them up! but argh i have three thingyes! the wardrobe, the drawers and this desk! if i lean too far to one side when i'm typing i feel it tip! but its layout is awesome!! argh i guess I'll go on the hunt for some WOOD then!

You could consider skip diving or a local charity shoppy thingy and look for some actual wood furniture?

• Quote from Naeni

SKIP DIVING!!! YES!!! smexilant idea!! *chases and hugs*

Well, thats me day made :D

• No problem! :D

I've had a new idea! If I can't find decent furniture....! What about that sticky backed plastic? I could do something funkaly with that?

• Quote from Naeni

No problem! :D

I've had a new idea! If I can't find decent furniture....! What about that sticky backed plastic? I could do something funkaly with that?

I dont think it would hold your weight :D

• *wallop* stick ONTO the MDF! but you knew that already! sheesh!

If i did a background of one solid colour, then I could also cut out funkay shapes and stick on top :D

Yes it would look rather juvinille... but! Ace!

• Yeah, you could use toilet rolls and washing up liquid bottles too ;) :whistle:

• Quote from Naeni

Blue Peter aren't allowed to use toilet rolls anymore its all about KITCHEN rolls these days, its more hygenic.

ACTUALLY

:harhar:

Oooo well pardon ME guinea pig girl ;) :harhar: :D

• Quote from Naeni

At least you didn't say "hamster"

*slaps big sticker on face*

Mfff!!!!

Mffmf mfmf mfff

*sniggers*

• Quote from Naeni

I have some cheap chipboard coated with plastic furnature that I wish to add colour. What can I do? DO i just use tile primer? or spraypaint? or wallpaper? what ways can i funk them up?!

You can buy Melamine Primer (available in most DIY stores). Clean the surface well first to remove any grease. Then paint on primer. Satinwood paints then work well to colour the furniture.

I did this successfully a few years ago when I had a council bedsit. It had an old fashioned Formica kitchen that had seen better days. As I was a skint student, and even if I had the pennies wouldn't want to fork out on a new kitchen for a rented property - so bought the melamine primer, some bright orange satiwood paint and had funky units. (I bought pale yellow satinwood paint and smartened up the second hand fridge, cooker and the combi boiler.........and painted the walls lime green :eek: - it was a very colourful, citrus kitchen). It worked well and was still looking new, with no chips or cracks when I moved out 18 months later.

Les x

• Quote from Naeni

ah ace! Can you remeber how much the primer was? I assume not much as you said you were poor?

Can't remember how much I paid for it, but a quick google search of Melamine Primer and International (the branded version is made by International Paints) brought up a few hardware sites selling it for between £10 and £15 a 750ml tin. A little goes a very long way, I've just checked my tin and considering I used it for a full kitchen (approx 10 doors), it is still 3/4 full. Obviously it keeps well too as I last opened the tin in 1998 and it still looks OK........shame you don't live close by or you could have had my tin (it would cost more than a new tin to send it to you).

Les x