Woodland Wedding & Campsites

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Hello folks

Does anyone have experience/knowledge around whether it would be possible in the UK to buy land and offer it occasionally as a humanist wedding venue?

My fiance and I have struggled to find the type of wedding venue we would like and so have thought about offering it ourselves.

We would buy land/woodland and offer some kind of mobile 'venue' (along the lines of a tipi or similar) for a handful of weekends in the year (within the 28 day rule).

Would that be possible? Or would it be shut down at the first hint of a wedding/reception?

If weddings were out the picture, we'd also be interested in setting up a tiny, eco-friendly campsite, again for just a teeny portion of the year.

• I think the venue has to be licenced for the actual wedding ceremony. If it's a business that is not in keeping with the (normal Woodland/agricultural) it would require full planning consent even if it was only for a few days a year as a business. Nothing to stop you or friends and family from celebrating the marriage in the woods. If youcontact a willing vicor and ask a few questions, they should be well informed.

• I seem to have it in the back of my mind 'offical weddings ' have to be indoors in uk

They're not according to google

Unlike in Scotland, in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, humanist weddings are not yet recognised in law and so couples often go to the register office to take care of the legal formalities in the days before or after their humanist wedding. “It was a beautiful ceremony that exceeded our expectations.

So it'll just be a private party as far as the powers that be should be concerned so left well alone but one concern would be neighbours should a large number of vehicles keep descending on a wood as someone's bound to complain.

• They're not according to google

So it'll just be a private party as far as the powers that be should be concerned so left well alone but one concern would be neighbours should a large number of vehicles keep descending on a wood as someone's bound to complain.

And to run private or commercial parties (as a business) in woodland or on agricultural land requires planning consent for change of use.