What do you do for a living?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Hey everyone,

So what do you do living?

I currently work in a call centre through an agency. The hours are varied 8am-8pm however it leaves my weekends to be creative making items to sell online. I hope to be work for myself one day as I love making things for people.

• I balance my time between being a smallholder and a domestic goddess, a kind of Nigella with mucky fingernails , the pay is poor though , happen £10 a week on egg sales , tis a good life though and I could not ask for more , other than more cider :)

• CAD design and CNC programming. Formerly boats, currently designing a composite carbon fibre / wood harp in collaboration with a really interesting master harp maker and a very impressive chartered engineer. I feel like the apprentice when working with these two, but it's great to be able to tap such knowledge.

• I would like to call myself a freelance writer (www.orynski.eu is my blog/portfolio), but it hard to make a living of that nowadays (especially if you are not native English speaker and don't have contacts) so I drive trucks for couple of days in the week to top up my income, but it's no problem, because I like it and the company I work is great :)

Ditched office job in August to plunge into the deep without knowing what is waiting ahead, best career move ever :)

• I knew a "professional nose", he sniffed mains gas to test if there was enough smelly chemical in it. Seriously.

He suffered from MS after he gave up a large weed habit - not sure if it was connected to the gas-sniffing.

Sounds a horrid job , I would have thought they could test gas with a machine of some sort , hope he gets a claim for personal injury caused by work . Crossed my mind a 'proffesional bum' might be a job in the test department of a suppositry factory too ?

• Currently I work in a wood factory which is not a bad shit job. Its not what I thought I'd be doing but it pays better than anything I've done in years. Plus I get cheap reject wood which is great for my van build and future boat build if I get my act together and save some cash for once in my life.

I hate doing overtime though. I'm a creative person and NEED to make stuff. I started making cigar box guitars last year and I'm developing an interest in luthiery my next build will be a 6 string electric guitar made out some alternative woods etc.

Although this is purely an interest/hobby. I've no interest in trying to build any more business'.

• Nomadic landscape gardener who specializes in dry stone repairation and building :D

Out of choice I work around a couple of months a year in total and live off that very comfortably for the rest of the year. I choose my clients carefully and always choose nice parts of france to work in. Spend the rest of my time enjoying nature out in the national parks and walking and wolf tracking in the mountains.

la vie est belle (life is beautiful) :D

• I compose music, perform music and run the odd music workshop. People often ask if they can buy my music, but I suppose I'd have to get round to recording some of it first. It hardly seems possible I've survived as a freelance muso for coming up to nineteen years. I used to have a proper job, but this is more fun.

• I do multi-drop delivery for Hermes - it's shit, don't get minimum wage, supposedly "self-employed" but they tell you what to do and when to do it, no holidays at all, work 6 days a week. Can't for them to go under a HMRC investigation. I've been squirrelling away the money so hope to leave in t minus 6 weeks.

• I do multi-drop delivery for Hermes - it's shit, don't get minimum wage, supposedly "self-employed" but they tell you what to do and when to do it, no holidays at all, work 6 days a week. Can't for them to go under a HMRC investigation. I've been squirrelling away the money so hope to leave in t minus 6 weeks.

That sounds shit. Loads of dodgy companies with "self employed" contractors.

In my mind if you have a company telling you what to do, where to go and when your employed.

Have you considered taking agency work just to help you find something else?

The agency I got my job with were pretty good despite my previous attitudes towards agency work.

I'll admit I grafted like hell to get this job when I was agency but its above min wage. 5 days per week and overtime. Although I hate been hammered for overtime but I'll happily do hours here and there

• Mostly support special needs,disabled young people in the community and the elderly and vulnerable in their own homes paid little.Manage small private woodland for conservation only,conservation and animal welfare projects voluntary.Hand to mouth gets very weary.Years ago farmworker and groom till back gave out.I admit I would like to have wed a rich farmer when I had youth and fertility to barter with,just because I wonder what it must be like to not try so hard to get loot just sat on my ass,on an arab stallion preferably.:D

• My experience with agencies hasn't been good... A whole load of fake adverts just to get you on their books. I'm exploring online income sources and should have enough savings to live from the van for 6 months so hopefully something will come of that.

• My experience with agencies hasn't been good... A whole load of fake adverts just to get you on their books. I'm exploring online income sources and should have enough savings to live from the van for 6 months so hopefully something will come of that.

There are a lot of dodgy ones out there. But some value their reputation.

I just found it useful as my business was dying and I needed something else all my qualifications and licences from my previous lines of work had long expired and I didnt know what to do.

I guess I landed lucky landing "not a bad shit job" its not what I hoped to do but it'll do for now.