Natural haircare

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• OK I desperately need some advice please.

I want to grow my hair down to my waist (eventually) but the problem that I have is that my hair is severely damaged from past heat damage, hair dyes and chemicals.

I've decided to go completely natural however my hair is very dry, brittle and tightly curled. I don't mind my hair frizzy and free as I'm avoiding heat. Does anyone have any natural hair care tips to add moisture and enable my hair to grow healthy?

• OK I desperately need some advice please.

I want to grow my hair down to my waist (eventually) but the problem that I have is that my hair is severely damaged from past heat damage, hair dyes and chemicals.

I've decided to go completely natural however my hair is very dry, brittle and tightly curled. I don't mind my hair frizzy and free as I'm avoiding heat. Does anyone have any natural hair care tips to add moisture and enable my hair to grow healthy?

Coconut oil. Leave it on a while

• With henna you boil the powder up in water add some vinegar ( forget exactly , not used it for years ), it makes a paste , apply to hair , then wrap a old towel round your head and leave on as long as possible , good few hours , then rinse out . it coats your hair , and is good if your hair is tangly , makes it easier to brush . loads of diffent colours from natural through reds to black . Test on skin first as can irritate . I found it very good hair conditioner . Not used it since I had dreads , my hair care regime is pretty non existant now , unless I get something nasty in my hair , and then I wash it , but on average maybe less than every 3 months ?

• I henna in my hair, have done for over 18months, my hair loves it, I have long wavy/curly hair and since using the henna no more split ends and it has a lovely shine to it.

• 2 important things to consider with hair products.

Shampoo comes in in many forms. It's primary purpose is to help remove dirt from the hair shaft. Most shampoos except for the very cheap shampoos ( but not all cheap shampoos) should have a charge either positive + or negative - (I'm not sure which way round the polarity should be) say for example a good shampoo contains a ingredient that is negsitivky charged. It will attract the dirt which is positively charged from the hair shaft and the dirt will then be rinsed away in suspension in the water. Rendering the hair clean on dirt particulates.

Then there is the conditioner, which is positively charged. This helps the conditioned hair shafts to slide over one another, reducing friction and damage when brushing/untangling. Whilst retaining the charge to the hair shaft thus doesn't attract opposite charged dirt particles to re cling to the cleaned hair.
    So a good shampoo and a good conditioner, should have enough of the correctly charged ingredients in it. Usually these ingredients cost money, hence why some cheap products don't work so well as others. Eg. A £5 bottle of either shampoo or conditioner, with the same amount of the correct charged ingredients works just as well as a £40 bottle of shampoo or conditioner.

Its science, chemistry, physics. Why not look into it? Then look into the products your choosing to use. See if there's any truth in itand let us know.

• When I wash my hair every 5 days or so I wash it the other way round, conditioner first, then shampoo, stops hair from being fly away.

• Yeah I'm just washing with water but there is a certain amount of frizz to it - my halo!
    My hair tends to straight and a bit lank except where it tangles. Then it gets lovely waves and so on, but will eventually become an impossible dreadknot. I escape this just by a rinse usually.
    If you want to put 'moisture' in I'd go for a simple oil - coconut, sweet almond, or similar. Put it in, brush through and rinse out at some point.

• I made a mistake, the hair care programme I watched on catch up was on

BBC2 Horizon. Hair care secrets.

It's still available to watch. Well worth a viewing. The science behind hair care is fascinating. Washed clean hair is negatively charged. The conditioner Quat (surfactant) applied to hair is positively charged. This helps the hair fibres slide over each other when detangling.

• Are use this conditioner that I get from lush to condition my dreads basically I just Pamela it's true about your three days before I'm due to wash it and then that gives the shampoo or in my case lush shower gel something to hang on to you so it doesn't stick the hair of its oil
    It's £21 for a big jar that I can get eight months over that
    I get that one with new Rolly oil in it in advance orange blossom
    For African curly hair types
    You could get a small jar to try it first and see how you get on with it
    Hope this helps

• Sorry I'm a bit late but I've only just seen this post. Massage about 1 tablespoon of baking powder into your roots (when your hair is wet) then rinse out. Do a final rinse with cold water and apple cider vinegar which gives a nice shine. Don't worry, the smell of the vinegar goes as soon as your hair is dry. My mom always did an apple cider vinegar final rinse on me and my sisters hair when we were kids and neither of us ever got nits even when the rest of the school had them. Better than those nasty chemical laden nit lotions

• Post by Maxal ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves ().
  • I/ve been there and done that.

1st go see someone who cuts hair not for a living, but for extra money (spouse brings in the cash for everyday payments) and knows her onions.

Just take care of the ends and the more healthy it gets the less the need to be removed the longer the time periods between cutting.

My hair was damaged like so many others for the same reasons, but here is what changed it.

1s and for-most is a healthy lifestyle / eating habits giving your body the nutrition it needs everyday like minerals and cofactors etc.

2nd try to avoid as many toxins as you can and start detoxing your body going cell deep (detox is a marathon not a sprint).

It really comes from the inside and hair is like skin a reflection of what you eat and put on your skin (only put on your skin what you can eat).

Than go natural in products.

I use only Marseille soap (is the French copy of Aleppo) or Aleppo soap and use natural vinegar.

You can also use occasionally neem powder or aloe vera for a treatment cure your hare loves it :-)

That's all

Further im using organic henna from India https://www.cultivator.in/product/henna-leaf-powder/

or from these Wonderfull people https://louland.nl/product/hen…jasthani-henna-uit-india/ the lady in charge is Talitha and has hear down over her bum so she knows her stuff so to speak.

Really Wonderfull people.

Give it time and you'll see the changes happening

Remember only on tv commercials miracles happen regarding Wonderfull hair.

Hope this was helpful.