Losing weight safely and permanently

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Blimey, this thread has taken off a bit since I last looked at it.
    Thanks for all the input everyone, it's great to read all the different viewpoints.

I'd be quoting all day if I replied to you all individually, but to answer a few of your questions...

On an average working day that is a pretty accurate list of what goes in through my mouth. Maybe once a week I'm guilty of a fast food lunch binge. That is a trend I will stop. Haven't had one this week, i'll try and keep it that way.

Weekends I'll sometimes miss breakfast altogether, or have a couple of slices of toast with some Flora marge on.
    If i'm at home i'll prep some lunch, but again, it usually defaults to sandwiches of some description. ( i see a pattern forming here )
    Tea/evening meal can be anything from a pataks curry sauce with diced chicken breast and a few peppers dropped in, with some home made egg fried rice to go with it ( but this will be a large portion ), but I am guilty of ordering a takeaway or cooking something equally unhealthy.
    These weekend habits need to be addressed too, I know! I'm starting off small and working my way up to the big changes, my mind seems to reject big sudden changes and I tend to relapse quickly.

I don't eat sweets or chocolate. Even as a kid i've never really been a big sweet eater. If i was to 'snack' on anything it would be crisps or savoury foods. While at work I don't snack between meals. I'm too busy doing what I should be! I can count on my fingers how many times I will eat chocolate or sweets in a year.

I don't drink much alcohol at all. In fact, the year before last I got given 24 cans of bitter from a customer as a Christmas tip and they lasted me well into the summer. Yes really!

Generally speaking i'm not shy of taking the long walk to somewhere, unless i've got have lots of stuff to carry. I am also the guy who parks his car at the other end of the carpark.

As for spending a lot of time sitting, yes I do, but only while driving though. I'm a printer engineer by trade, so when I do get to where I need to be, I spend the rest of the time mainly standing up or scrawling round on my hands and knees, fixing and servicing machinery. Not strenuous in any way, apart from the odd bit of heavy lifting, but certainly not stagnant and stuck at a desk/in a chair all day.
    I tried one of those pedometer things last year just to see, and I seem to average about 5000 steps a day during the week. Could be better, could be worse.

You'll be pleased to hear that so far i've been very good today.
    Started off with roughly 2/3 of the muesli i would normally have. Had the same amount of milk though. Still, less overall quantity.
    On the way to work I had roughly half a small bottle of water to drink. I wasn't thirsty, but thought i wasn't drinking enough water.
    When I got to the office, I had a cup of tea with a sweetener and a little less milk than I'd normally have.
    Back out on the road, and finished off the water. Stopped at a service station to see what I could pick up that looked a better choice than sandwiches for lunch. Thought i'd go posh and went into M&S and picked up a piri piri chicken pasta salad and a sweet chilli chicken noodle salad and a litre bottle of water.
    Both of these proved to be very tasty, so i'm going to look into making stuff like this myself over the weekend, with a view to taking it with me to work next week.
    This afternoon, I've drank about half the litre bottle of water. That's all.
    I'll be having beans on toast shortly for tea, with a glass of pure orange juice as planned.

So, not too bad so far I think.

One thing i did notice though, Is i really don't drink as much as I thought I did. I've probably taken less than a litre of liquid in all day so far. That can't be good?

As for exercise, well i'm going out for the day tomorrow, so plan on getting 6-7 miles of walking under my belt. that should kick start me into the mood again.

Thanks again for the input and kind words everyone.

It's no use shouting about who's to blame, when all that counts is how to change...

• The more you excercise,the more you want to excercise as you find yourself much more motivated when in good health physically and mentally.
    Keep up the great work xx

That is very true, and I am off to the beach with Gracie to burn some fat cells :D:insane:

• Been said but truly - exercise more and eat less. Become used to your body telling you its hungry instead of eating out of habit. Eating less is no good though if you eat rubbish. Educate yourself to eat what is actually giving you the right kind of fuel to sustain your hopefully started new exercise regime

• Have to agree with a few of the people on about cutting out sugar, For health reasons other than weight we have cut out refined sugar completely in our house from the diet. We now only have sugar which comes from fruits and other things naturally.
    Since we cut it out we have had no issues with losing weight. If anything its a problem to us to keep weight on which was never an issue before. But we can live with that problem . lol

It is a bit of a pain looking at every ingredient within anything you buy, But there are always ways of having the same foods without any sugar in. You just have to start making them yourself.
    I never dreamt that things like Mayonnaise or Tinned Soups had sugar in previously. Why on earth does soup need sugar.
    And mayonnaise is the easiest thing to make once you've done it once. No need to separate the yolks like everyone says.

We use an enormous amount of dates now though, In home made cookies / bars / brownies etc.

Good luck with the weight loss everyone.