Merc 508d, licence/mot/tax etc. advice

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• So I'm not good on all the legalities...
    If I were the owner of a 508 (full camper conversion) what would I need to know?
    Do I need cat C in my licence?
    Normal MOT?
    What'll it cost in tax, insurance...?

Also what's the reasonable price range? Clearly this depends on what nick it's in but roughly.
    Done 400ish k and had a new engine half way to that.

Cheers wise hippies.

• How long is a piece of string?.some 508s have been downrated to 3.5 ton..if you passed your test before 96/97 you can drive over 3.5.if its registered as a motorcaravan its class 4 mot same as a car ..road taxi is approx 195 quid a year..insurance ..how old are you..experience etc?how can we answer what its worth?what year..condition..standard of camper conversion..a friend just paid 10 grand for an 86 ex dutch army ambulance..

• Spicky is right. You need a license for the weight the truck is registered at. Done properly, the revenue weight will show up online, at the bottom of the vehicle details where you check with the DVLA if it's taxed or SORN. Do a search for 'check vehicle tax online'
    If it's 7.5 tons (or at least over 3.5tons) you need the Cat C or to have passed your test before 1 January 1997.
    If it's been downrated to 3.5 tons, you can drive it on a car license without needing a further test or old enough license.
    If the truck is 3.5 tons it's PSV road tax is £230 a year, Private HGV is £165. There is no taxation class for Motor Caravan, but as long as the Body Type is Motor Caravan, it will be a class 4 MOT.

• Cheers, ran the reg on DVLA. It's 5.2t so far as they're concerned - so that means as my licence is post '97 I need to apply for the cat c provisional, and then take the theory and practical but not CPC... I think. Right? I've got the papers, better apply.
    Yeah fair enough regarding insurance, but sounds like there's no reason it'd be a massive leap from what it costs me now for a 20 year old LT.

• Nah you missed that!
    I did think I'd get away with the provisional but seems maybe not.
    If I can't have the vehicle without the licence, what will I take the test in?
    If its just a matter of driving a big rigid body vehicle I can probably swot for the questions this week and sit it next, I'm a competent driver, but will I have to hire/borrow something or turn up at the test centre driving a 5 tonne vehicle on provisional? I don't have one yet!

• I don't yet have anything over 3.5t, and have to send off for the provisional as my licence is more recent than the automatic entitlement, bum. How do I get something home if I buy it then? Drive on provisional with a passenger with full cat C...?
    My best idea at the mo is to try to find a friend :)

• I didn't think that you needed to send off your license to use it as a provisional. Vanman didn't when he did his HGV1, but it was many years ago.
    My best advice would be to ask an HGV driving school. Sometimes the operators at the DVLA aren't too knowledgeable when you ring up.
    As for collecting the bus, where is it and where does it need to be?

• Cheers, ran the reg on DVLA. It's 5.2t so far as they're concerned - so that means as my licence is post '97 I need to apply for the cat c provisional, and then take the theory and practical but not CPC... I think. Right?

Yes. As I said before, C1 is enough, but it's not that much cheaper than C, so unless you are really skint, go for full C, that will give you right to drive basically everything rigid except for the bus, you never know what can come useful in the future.

As per CPC you are right, you don't need that crap as you are not going to drive your camper for hire or reward.