Local sayings & Regional names/ family names for things?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• A lot of Romani words (like mush, pal) have leaked into English usage. Also some Polari, thanks to the BBC.

OK, they are not regional. I'll get me coat.

People are word magpies. I'm suprised few (family unique) invented words haven't been mentioned. Too embarrassed maybe? I talk crap around my kids. I play with words and they don't question the meaning (yet)

• People are word magpies. I'm suprised few (family unique) invented words haven't been mentioned. Too embarrassed maybe? I talk crap around my kids. I play with words and they don't question the meaning (yet)

We have a lot of invented family words

Tronkoling ..walking over

Mundging...what the horse does with his hoofs/bedding /shit

Noggins..the jewish contingent of our family ( they use it themselves , so I don't think its too racist )

Spaffers ...the South African contingent of our family

Arseparsley..bullshit

fannybobbler...insult

sponge...term of endearment

Crackers ...underwear

these are some of the more publishable ones , we are hugely inventive when it comes to cursing

• I grew up in rural east Anglia and it was
    shew - shown
    Hull - throw
    Heck- as in heck if I know
    rum - strange

Now in Wales , the lingo can be a tad confusing for a foreigner like me but just about getting the hang of it.
    some examples are:
    Tampin' - fuming
    boggin' - disgusting / dirty
    butty or butt - friend
    cwtch - hug (or rather a very close hug)
    bach - little (but can refer to a person or object)

• Some strange ones there. I imagine Welsh can top the lot for confusion of meaning. They spell things the way you would if you had to carry a heavy a bucket full of spare letters. Put a few extra at the start if a word. Leave a few letters on the end of a word & hide a few in the middle of a word.

• Some strange ones there. I imagine Welsh can top the lot for confusion of meaning. They spell things the way you would if you had to carry a heavy a bucket full of spare letters. Put a few extra at the start if a word. Leave a few letters on the end of a word & hide a few in the middle of a word.

Welsh is easyish , to write it you miss out all the vowels and to speak it you need to emulate a phlemy cough :)

+ pronouncing letters different to they are wrote . Its like some sort of code !

• not heard of ligger before, where's that spoken?

North Staffs, potteries dialect. Seems to have almost died out these days though, haven't heard anyone say it for a while now.

The one I still can't get to grips with is the use of the word AM by folks from the Black Country.

It's no use shouting about who's to blame, when all that counts is how to change...

• + pronouncing letters different to they are wrote . Its like some sort of code !

Also the extra letters in the welsh alphabet make it confusing like dd, ll, ch, ng and so on.
    also w is a vowel but sounds more like a u, whereas u sounds like a y.
    Best thing to do is let a local pronounce something and just copy them.

• Nothing to add myself, except a thank you all for my learning experience. :thumbup:

"The European Union is just like a jigsaw puzzle, except the pieces all come from different puzzles". - Red Dragon

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us".
    - Calvin+Hobbes

• This'll keep a few of you busy then.

More Potteries dialect, click linky.

http://www.thepotteries.org/dialect1.html

Oh, and there's a few youtube vids to hear a few examples.
    This is part one, the rest follow on after you've watched it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06nbSiv1ZN0

It's no use shouting about who's to blame, when all that counts is how to change...

• OK there's a few in our family - like my mum's parents would say "give us a decko? at that" meaning "lets ave a butcher's" (yes I was born within the sound of bowbells n lived in the eastend til aged nearly 6yrs old) things like "two n eight" as in "aww you've got yerself into a right old two n eight aven't ya"
    The phone was regularly referred to as "the dog" for example.
    Then we moved to Somerset n there is a whole world of lovely languagey gubbins down here...
    Gurt/Gert = as in Gurt Lush me babber!
    Bab/Babby - term of affection
    Jasper - Wasp
    Grampher Gravy - Frome word for a cheesey bug aka Wood Louse.
    'Ow be yon = Alright?
    Arr - agreement
    Ohh Arrr - strong agreement
    Dimpsy - twilightish
    Batch - Slag Heap (particular to Norton/Radstock and surrounding villages)
    Dap - as in "you'ms a gurt whally youngun you'ms forgotten yer dap bag again aven't you? be doing P.E in yer socks again youngun"
    Daps are a pair of gym shoes/trainers and that is particular to some parts of Bristol and Keynsham/Norton/Radstock and surrounding villages.. in Frome if you say something about Daps they look at you like you've flown in with Eat Static on a fuckin flying saucer :madlol:
    Zoyder - as in the proper fermented appley stuff that you buy off the wizardy looking Dr. Mischief who lives up a random drove track in deepest darkest zumerrrrzet and serves the stuff straight out of the Barrel...
    "Pilton" - as in "yeah i went down Pilton in the 90's but it went shit when they put thic bastard double fence up innit) Glastonbury Festival of Performing Arts n shit
    Lake of Somerset - That's what we all got calling it when we had the bad flooding and we had such things as the Island of Muchelney and an inkling of an idea of how fucked we'll all be when sea levels rise...
    Squibbing - this is very particular to the town of Bridgwater and is all tied in with celebrating the 5th November and goes back hundreds of years. They run through the streets with lighted "squibs" and officer dibble looks on nervously and everyone drinks lots of zoyderrr...
    As children we used to call the back tracks "cinder tracks", terraces were "ranks", we had breakfast, lunch and tea (dinner was on sunday lunchtime), my mantra at the corner shop was "half an ounce of golden virginia and a packet of red papers please" (all in one ) - lol back in the day when it was legal to send your 10 year old daughter to the corner shop for yer smokes... :o

• When we were kids at bedtime my ma would say" Go on, up the dancers" that to me sounds like some sort of cockney rhyme ie. dancing pairs - stairs :S I don't know though tbh.

• When we were kids at bedtime my ma would say" Go on, up the dancers" that to me sounds like some sort of cockney rhyme ie. dancing pairs - stairs :S I don't know though tbh.

I'm loving some of these names and sayings. I am a bit of a bugger for getting some words stuck in my head, like those songs that become mind worms. Many years ago I got stuck with just replying "I" to most questions that a simple "yes" would suffice & that don't always help. Thankfully I've not suffered the "do you know what I mean like" or "cool" "far out" "groovy" and all the newer sayings of the young'ns "fat" "wicked" " sick"

I've never heard of a wasp being called Jasper, what's the meaning behind it? Is there some reference to WW11 Dive bombers, kamikaze, nasty little things?

• Jaspers used to be very common round here in the south west , still used by a few but not so prevailant (maybe with age they are not discussed so much ? ) , I believe the latin is Vespa , so not far removed from Jasper ?